Forums - Gaming Discussion - One gotta go: RPG edition

Which one gotta go?

Kingdom Hearts 74 46.84%

Fire Emblem 53 33.54%

Persona 31 19.62%

Total:158
BasilZero said:
Azuren said:
I'm saddened to see that most would do without Kingdom Hearts. Personally, I don't find Persona or Fire Emblem to be in even the same category, since Kingdom Hearts is an more ARPG than it is JRPG

uhh no

A jRPG means Japanese RPG. All three of these franchises are jRPG.

But they are different genres though.

Kingdom Hearts = Action RPG
Persona = Turn Based/Traditional RPG
Fire Emblem = Strategy RPG

Splitting hairs, since most of us immediately change gears to menu-based comnbat when we think JRPG, largely due to their heavy use of menus throughout the medium. 

You still got my point, though, so feel free to continue correcting people on things that don't really necessitate correcting.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Azuren said:
I'm saddened to see that most would do without Kingdom Hearts. Personally, I don't find Persona or Fire Emblem to be in even the same category, since Kingdom Hearts is an more ARPG than it is JRPG

I truly like Kingdom hearts. It's just that we haven't gotten that many games. I think there's only 3/4 Kingdom hearts games.

All 3 of them are great. No doubt about that

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Persona, if only for the fact I haven't played this franchise yet.

I've only played kingdom hearts. Though Fire Embled seems the "least" interesting to me, so I choose that.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Azuren said:
BasilZero said:
Azuren said:

uhh no

Splitting hairs, since most of us immediately change gears to menu-based comnbat when we think JRPG, largely due to their heavy use of menus throughout the medium. 

You still got my point, though, so feel free to continue correcting people on things that don't really necessitate correcting.

He has a point and it's not splitting hairs. For example, Dragon's dogma is a JRPG even though it shares many similarities with WRPGs. JRPG does not mean turn based rpgs or "menu-based" rpgs.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
Azuren said:

No I dont get your point of using a acronym incorrectly other than the fact that you are using it incorrectly.

Heavy Use of Menu? That sounds like Kingdom Hearts >.>. Tales of Series and even Star Ocean uses menus specifically when using a spell or item. Yet they are both JRPGs AND Action RPGs.

Anyways JRPG = Japanese RPG or better known as Japanese Developed RPG.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/JRPG.html

There's tons of RPGs that go through menu based mediums that are also Western RPG.

Yeah, again, you got the point I was getting across, so here's a summary of my entire response:

Aeolus451 said:
Azuren said:
BasilZero said:
Azuren said:

uhh no

He has a point and it's not splitting hairs. For example, Dragon's dogma is a JRPG even though it shares many similarities with WRPGs. JRPG does not mean turn based rpgs or "menu-based" rpgs.

Eh. He got the point I was making and decided he was going to be anal about specifics. And I never said that's what JRPG meant, I said that's what we immediately think of since it is the traditional JRPG format.

I swear, some people on this forum just want to win every argument, even if the opposing party isn't participating.

I'll take Kingdom Hearts.

Fire Emblem.

BasilZero said:
Azuren said:

Yeah, again, you got the point I was getting across, so here's a summary of my entire response:

I'm glad you admitted you were wrong ;o.

*sigh*

I already stated that I was referring to what people typically think when they think about JRPGs, in which a traditional JRPG is some form of turn- or time-based combat system utilizing a menu system rather than direct, uninhibited movement. But you were too busy worrying about exact definitions to actually read that, so thanks.

And Kingdom Hearts is 95% Action and 5% QTE, so I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about.

So no, no admitting I was wrong. Moreso giving up because you're just going to continue posting the same thing until I relent to your way of thinking (which won't really happen, I'll just get bored and go post in a different thread).