By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A World Without Nintendo ...

Console gaming would be a wasteland and PC gaming would dominate everything.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:

I can guarantee you we would not have Sony and likely not Microsoft :).

Nah, there's a fair chance that they'd still be here today without Nintendo ... 

The only thing that they did was put in some quality control measures and sooner or later the others would have figured out ... 

AbbathTheGrim said:
If we consider a world without Nintendo facing the game crash we would have to dwell on the realm of speculation and parallel realities.

If we consider a world without Nintendo TODAY, then I will just say that the majority of gamers don't play on Nintendo consoles.

Yeah Nintendo did so much for gaming and all of us old enough grew up with them.  I'm thankful for that.  But they no longer satisfy my needs and haven't for a long time so I'd survive without them today. The 

pokoko said:
baloofarsan said:

Since Sega would have probably been the company to restart home consoles, I really have no idea why Japanese elements would be gone.  And why would there not be RPGs?  Neither Square nor Enix released their first games on Nintendo platforms.  The Japanese software scene was moving forward swifty even without Nintendo.  The home console revival would likely have come from Sega or NEC, so I think a Japanese influence was inevitable.

I do not know enough about early home console history to argue with you.

....BUT...

I thought that the reason NES was successful was the "Lateral Thinking with Withered Technology" philosophy of Gunpei Yokoi, that made the console cheap enough to be able to sell to a bigger audience. Nintendo came from simplicity (Game & Watch) while Sega came from the hardware heavy arcade games. 

As for JRPGs: I belive JRPGs would have stayed in Japan (as many JRPGs still do) if they did not have a japanese company that could offer them a worldwide audience (in the end it was probably Sony that made JRPGs popular worldwide). Nintendo paved the way for JRPGs with The Legend Of Zelda introducing many JRPG-like elements for western audience.

Lawlight said:
Consoles existed before Nintendo got in the business and would have existed even if they didn't.

Not Playstation

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network
AbbathTheGrim said:
If we consider a world without Nintendo facing the game crash we would have to dwell on the realm of speculation and parallel realities.

If we consider a world without Nintendo TODAY, then I will just say that the majority of gamers don't play on Nintendo consoles.

I don't understand what you're implying Abbath, cause this gen Nintendo sold about 70m hardware and is still counting.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

I don't understand what you're implying Abbath, cause this gen Nintendo sold about 70m hardware and is still counting.

You got him good

There's a guy on Youtube that tried doing this. He came up with the conclusion that Sony+Sega and/or MS+Sega would be the leading companies. I don't remember much more than that.

You guys should check him out. His name is Archimedes, but dont remember the name of the videos.

Edit: "What if Nintendo was a failure?"

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

baloofarsan said:

I do not know enough about early home console history to argue with you.

....BUT...

I thought that the reason NES was successful was the "Lateral Thinking with Withered Technology" philosophy of Gunpei Yokoi, that made the console cheap enough to be able to sell to a bigger audience. Nintendo came from simplicity (Game & Watch) while Sega came from the hardware heavy arcade games. 

As for JRPGs: I belive JRPGs would have stayed in Japan (as many JRPGs still do) if they did not have a japanese company that could offer them a worldwide audience (in the end it was probably Sony that made JRPGs popular worldwide). Nintendo paved the way for JRPGs with The Legend Of Zelda introducing many JRPG-like elements for western audience.

The NES was much more advanced than Sega's first console, which launched on the same day.

As for JRPGs, we have Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest to thank for those, more than anything, and I don't see why they would not have been made if Sega or NEC had been the market leader instead of Nintendo.

Nintendo's real contribution to gaming is their scheme of licensing permission to make games on their system, which allowed them to be more profitable and showed companies that were thinking about entering the market that it could be lucrative.  This worked as a kind of quality control, as well, though you could still get shovel-ware published if you had the money.  Of course, Nintendo might have hurt the industry again if some of their business tactics had not been ruled illegal.

LipeJJ said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

He doesn't seem to be implying anything but rather saying it directly.  There are more people playing video-games on non-Nintendo platforms than on Nintendo platforms.  PC alone dwarfs 70m--which, of course, isn't the actual installed base, as it includes dead and inactive systems.

The world would be grey. And with a lof of guns, like, a lot.