By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A World Without Nintendo ...

shogunknight said:
Another company would just take its place like atari or sega. To me it would have just taken longer at most for another company to do what they did but the events would still occur, technology must advance anyway right

I highly doubt Atari could have replaced Nintendo, seeing as how they're the ones who caused the game crash of 1983 in the first place. 

Around the Network

Consoles existed before Nintendo got in the business and would have existed even if they didn't.

It would be even more of a "Little Boys Club" with dark, gritty, realistic, mature games.

shenlong213 said:

Like you said, without Nintendo, then we don't have Playstation, maybe even Xbox and PC games

Wait, PC gaems?, you mean a PC that created a console, that created games for the consoles that also creates games for it's own market would be dead as a dodo without Nintendo?.

Do we have absolute concrete proof of this because from what history shows things were different between those markets even back then, especially it tech advances.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

BraLoD said:
I propose we discuss the outcomes of a world without the world, before we go any further, then.

Already got a Magnavox Odissey thread, I though we would pass through Atari before xP

The question about the success of the NES (that may have revived console gaming) could be quite big (for gaming). Without Nintendo would there be a Japanese influence on gaming at all? Would there be RPGs as we know them? What about the japanese heritage of art? Would there be collectathon elements in games? I guess narrative would be different.

The mixture of the weird, fantastic japanese elements and the "realistic" western elements derived from Hollywood culture make many games different than other cultural phenomenon like movies or litterateur. 

(Analysing too deep!)

Around the Network

the gaming world without nintendo would be...
awful
nonexistant
stagnant
boring.
yeah, it'd be all those things. with a cherry and a cream on top.

A world without Nintendo would have been a world without PlayStation ( among other things)  as well.. A pretty sad world..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

baloofarsan said:

The question about the success of the NES (that may have revived console gaming) could be quite big (for gaming). Without Nintendo would there be a Japanese influence on gaming at all? Would there be RPGs as we know them? What about the japanese heritage of art? Would there be collectathon elements in games? I guess narrative would be different.

The mixture of the weird, fantastic japanese elements and the "realistic" western elements derived from Hollywood culture make many games different than other cultural phenomenon like movies or litterateur. 

(Analysing too deep!)

Since Sega would have probably been the company to restart home consoles, I really have no idea why Japanese elements would be gone.  And why would there not be RPGs?  Neither Square nor Enix released their first games on Nintendo platforms.  The Japanese software scene was moving forward swifty even without Nintendo.  The home console revival would likely have come from Sega or NEC, so I think a Japanese influence was inevitable.

I'd be more depressed than I am now. Nintendo games have literally kept me stable emotionally in my early years. Nothing like playing pure joy to lift your spirits.

Also, Sony would more than likely would have never made the PlayStation. The only reason Sony thought they could make a console was with the SNES's SPC700 sound chip that they developed.

If Nintendo didn't face the crash in 1983, I'm sure another company would step up and challenge it as well.. though these what if possibilities are always just speculation as they never happened :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]