By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are your 2 favourite genre of games?

TruckOSaurus said:

I'd have to say Platformers (2D and 3D) and RPG (mostly JRPG) but choosing only two genres is quite cruel.

Ha yea it is cruel but interesting to see what poeple can pick out as there "2" favourites :D

Around the Network

RPGs and Action-adventure.

Turn-based Strategy/Wargames (Tactics, not so much) like Panzer General or Battle Isle

Classic western RPG with a 6-8 person hero party, turn-based combat and first person perspective (though not necessarly grid-based movement)

Problem is, both are pretty much dead since the turn of the century, Battle Isle Phase 4: The Androsia Conflict and Wizardry 8 where pretty much the last of each kind

Action RPGs and third person shooters

Bofferbrauer said:
Turn-based Strategy/Wargames (Tactics, not so much) like Panzer General or Battle Isle

Classic western RPG with a 6-8 person hero party, turn-based combat and first person perspective (though not necessarly grid-based movement)

Problem is, both are pretty much dead since the turn of the century, Battle Isle Phase 4: The Androsia Conflict and Wizardry 8 where pretty much the last of each kind

Yeah, they don't seem to be getting any sort of revival isometric cRPGs are getting these last few years - Grimrock is real time and though Might and Magic Legacy comes to mind, it was not that good of a game and really didn't do justice to great M&Ms from the 90's. One could hope for Ubi to revive that IP properly, but I'm affraid they would most likely go for Skyrimized version, which would be just plain terrible.

Bard's Tale IV might turn up good though, it's also turned based.

As for wargames, I don't play them anymore as I used to...I started on C64 (Battle of Bulge, Theater Europe, Tobruk)...spent a lot of time on Generals and Talon's Battleground/Campaign series on PC, but eventually prefered tactical later on, like Steel Panthers and Combat Mission...anyway, you are probably aware of it, but check out Unity of Command, as well as Matrix Games and Battlefront.com sites, you might find something to your liking.

Around the Network

Tie between rpg and action/adventure. Games that mix the two have me sold.

Sandbox PvP MMORPGs and chess.

CU......or CF ?

HoloDust said:
Bofferbrauer said:

Yeah, they don't seem to be getting any sort of revival isometric cRPGs are getting these last few years - Grimrock is real time and though Might and Magic Legacy comes to mind, it was not that good of a game and really didn't do justice to great M&Ms from the 90's. One could hope for Ubi to revive that IP properly, but I'm affraid they would most likely go for Skyrimized version, which would be just plain terrible.

Bard's Tale IV might turn up good though, it's also turned based.

As for wargames, I don't play them anymore as I used to...I started on C64 (Battle of Bulge, Theater Europe, Tobruk)...spent a lot of time on Generals and Talon's Battleground/Campaign series on PC, but eventually prefered tactical later on, like Steel Panthers and Combat Mission...anyway, you are probably aware of it, but check out Unity of Command, as well as Matrix Games and Battlefront.com sites, you might find something to your liking.

Might & Magic is dead for me since Ubisoft took over and killed the old universe to replace it with a standard fantasy setting. Also, Uplay.

I backed Bard's Tale IV, so I hope it will be good. But that's really the only thing coming from a genre which was as huge as the FPS nowadays makes me cringe a bit.

I backed Battle World: Kronos, but it was a letdown for me, it seriously lacked units (less than 2 dozen different units, air and sea included), limiting strategies and tactics a lot. I'll definitly check out those sites, as my other games really begin getting stale after the umpeth playtrough.

RPG and Third Person Adventure Games. (Fighting games coming in a very close third place)

JRPG + 3rd person action-adventure.