By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - 4th-10th Jan 2016

padib said:
Dr.Vita said:

What? It is over 200k (I think something between 230-240k).

idk I see 45 or 55k.

15./23. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [1/1][New Price Edition] (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2015.10.08} (¥5.389) - 5.654 / 54.300 

Is that a different SKU?

I would say that even 240k is low for a blockbuster. I'm not sure how much marketing money they inject in those games, but if a proper blockbuster in Japan sold like that (say FF or Zelda), it would be shameful. As I said in my first post, this is relatively speaking.

240k is a good result for Japan these days, especially for a western game because in the past generations games like Call of Duty or any FPS would be lucky if it could hit the 50k. It seems you are not familiar with japanese sales numbers but we are here for any question.

And for reference, Zelda is not selling so good in Japan and nowhere near FF. Skyward Sword managed to sold 250k-300k (yeah the number you consider low for a blockbuster in other words).

Around the Network
padib said:
PowerXXX said:
I think he is a little confused. GTAV has 4 released in Japan.

GTAV PS3
GTAV PS3 Budget Release (low price)
GTAV PS4
GTAV PS4 Budget Release (low price)

If you combine all these versions, it's sales should be around 1million. The PS3 version alone is at 700k+. What you are seeing is only the Budget release of the PS4 version.

1 million is competitive.

GTAV aside, COD at 300k is relatively low, in comparison. I wonder how much money they make with them.

Cod at 300k is relatively low compared to what? It's sales in the rest of the world? Yeah. Compared to most Japanese home console games? Nope.

padib said:
Teeqoz said:

Cod at 300k is relatively low compared to what? It's sales in the rest of the world? Yeah. Compared to most Japanese home console games? Nope.

That's my point. Most japanese home console (PS4) games are now western games, and are selling low. Compare that to games like Splatoon or Mario Maker, Final Fantasy, Zelda, Monster Hunter, these games are not competitive.

No, most Japanese home console games are Japanese. The reason there are only western PS4 games in the charts is because the Japanese PS4 games aren't selling enough to chart. Splatoon, Mario, Final Fantasy isn't the standard for Japanese home console games. They're the exceptions. I love how you mention Zelda. The last home console Zelda sold slightly better, but only slightly better, than Black Ops 3. Zelda isn't competetive confirmed!

EDIT: Would appear the last Zelda sold slightly worse than Black Ops 3.

padib said:
PowerXXX said:

GTAV PS3
GTAV PS4

If you combine all these versions, it's sales should be around 1million. The PS3 version alone is at 700k+. What you are seeing is only the Budget release of the PS4 version.

GTAV aside, COD at 300k is relatively low, in comparison. I wonder how much money they make with them.

I am telling you again, Japan is a completely different number from west. Forget anything you know when you look the numbers in Japan. 300K is an amazing result for COD. COD on PS2 was selling like 30k-50 in Japan. GTA was selling 200-300k with the only exception San Andreas. This is not about personal expectations or a personal view about the performance of a game. I could say that MHX sales are very low because i was expecting something like 6 million. But i am not saying that because i know the japanese market and people will thought me crazy. This is what you seem like now with saying that 300k for Call of Duty and 1 million for GTA in Japan is competetive (with no offence of course). And vgchartz is wrong about Skyward Sword. This is your friend.

http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php//gid/5333

Media Create is a company that specializes in japanese game software for many years. Nintendo and Sony use Medai Create reports for tracking sales as you read in reports. Vgchartz numbers are only assumptions. They don't have the means to track the copies sold and the numbers are highly speculative. For example they once wrote that Alien Collonial Marines sold 30k on WiiU in first week. The problem is that WiiU never got the game because it was canceled..... This should give you an idea about Vgchartz numbers.

padib said:
PowerXXX said:

GTAV PS3
GTAV PS4

300k in Japan is a very big win. In a market of this size, publishers of things not DQ, Mario, FF, Yokai Watch, etc. don't aim for those sales targets. It's a completely different environment from the Western AAAs.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
padib said:
Teeqoz said:

No, most Japanese home console games are Japanese. The reason there are only western PS4 games in the charts is because the Japanese PS4 games aren't selling enough to chart. Splatoon, Mario, Final Fantasy isn't the standard for Japanese home console games. They're the exceptions. I love how you mention Zelda. The last home console Zelda sold slightly better, but only slightly better, than Black Ops 3. Zelda isn't competetive confirmed!

EDIT: Would appear the last Zelda sold slightly worse than Black Ops 3.

Don't take it personally bro, I already addressed Skyward Sword earlier.

I'm not taking it personally lol xD

I just don't understand how you can say these games are performing badly when they are outselling the vast vast majority of Japanese developed home console games lol.

padib said:
Teeqoz said:

I just don't understand how you can say these games are performing badly when they are outselling the vast vast majority of Japanese developed home console games lol.

;)

I mentioned though that you're comparing against other western games. What home console games that are japanese, that are blockbusters, sell at those numbers? You mentioned SS, I told you it was not selling well enough for what is expected of it.

Nobody is taking it personal here. We are trying to explain you how the japanese market works but you don't seem to understand what we are saying to you. Either because you don't want or because we are not doing a good job. I will try to be as simply as possible. Try to read what i am saying and don't be fixed to your personal views while doing it.

- Japanese market is very different from the market in west (US/EU)

- With different i mean the personal tastes of users. There are many japanese games that are selling good in the west but you can't say the same for Japan (in other words, west games that sell good in Japan)

-That is because japanese users have different tastes and they didn't like western games. This was a fact for many years but with the arrival of PS3 and the changes in Japanese market this started to change (mobile domination, fewer japanese games, not so technological advanced)

-That's why in PS2 days games like Call of Duty sold like 50k in Japan and now is selling like 300k. 300k is an amazing result compared to 50k 2 generations ago.

-You say that COD and GTA numbers are low compared to FF, Mario, MH. These are the biggest franchises in Japan. You can't compare them with west brands like GTA or COD for many different reasons. They are different gernes. You can't expect all the gernes to sell the same. It doesn't make sense. Stronger brands. FF, Mario, MH and DQ are the most famous gernes in Japan. You can't expect the same numbers from a franchise that came from the west only 10 years ago.

-People are saying that COD and GTA are doing great compared to how they managed to sales the previous entries. There is an increase of 250-300% for COD and 600-700% for GTA.

padib said:
Teeqoz said:

;)

I mentioned though that you're comparing against other western games. What home console games that are japanese, that are blockbusters, sell at those numbers? You mentioned SS, I told you it was not selling well enough for what is expected of it.

I'm not comparing them to other western games. I'm comparing them to Japanese developed home console games. Why do you say that I'm comparing them to western games when I'm not? @_@

Black Ops 3, Fallout 4 and Star Wars Battlefront were respectively the 3rd, 5th and 6th best selling PS4 games of 2015 in Japan. While Fallout 4 and Battlefront have yet to pass Bloodborne's lifetime sales, it will happen pretty soon. So they are selling better than Yakuza, Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type 0 HD, etc. They got outsold by Dragon Quest Heroes and Metal Gear Solid. However Cod has better legs than Dragon Quest Heroes and will likely outsell it lifetime, making Cod the second bestselling PS4 game released in 2015.

You can try to downplay their sales by comparing them to megahits like Final Fantasy, Splatoon and Mario, but it makes about as much sense as saying Final Fantasy is selling badly in the west just because it's getting destroyed by Cod in sales, ie. it makes very little sense.

Have a good day sir!

padib said:

What I don't understand is that, clearly people don't want Western games in Japan as shown by the relatively low sales numbers. So, in that case, why are they pushing so hard with marketing money to make people like it?

It's annoying because Japan makes some of the best games in the world, and here we are pushing our junk like GTA and CoD to their shores.

Cod bo3 has sold about 400k so far including digital and the ps3. That is very profitable for Activision in a country like Japan.  

Fallout 4 has excellent sales.  It's showing massive growth over fallout 3. 

Gta 5 has sold over 900k retail on ps3 and probably 1m including digital.  

On the ps4 this has sold about 300k including digital and this is latest release.  It continues to have good legs and will sell a lot more.  

I think it's obvious why they push these games.  Because they sell and they're increasing in popularity while most Japanese brands decrease.  

But don't be mistaken.  None of them have received enormous marking pushes.  They will pale compared to what FF15, yakuza 6, DQ11 etc get.  

Does nobody know why we didn't get PS Vita TV numbers this week?