By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - 4th-10th Jan 2016

Wii U had its holiday run. Now its time for the PS4 to gain ground starting now.

Around the Network
retroking1981 said:
PowerXXX said:

PS4 sold more than WiiU with fewer software yet you call it's sales medriocre and wiiu's great?

Is there something you want to tell us about your favorite company and how this affects your judgement on sales?

I think he's taking expectations into account, hence X1 being okayish even though they're god awful.

Each to their own I suppose. Okayish for me for Xb one is 300-350. Under 300 is just your normal bad selling week. >400 is good, >500 is great, >1000 is amazeballs.

PS4 must be selling on library depth since no game is selling particularly high numbers to drive >30K for the hardware.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

That's cool and all but if the ps4 keeps doing aswell as the ps3 I don't think Sony will care about your doomsday stats.

Plus this gen they make profit on hardware rather than a huge loss and a lot of revenue from ps plus.

Sony are happier in Japan this gen than the last.

OneKartVita said:
That's cool and all but if the ps4 keeps doing aswell as the ps3 I don't think Sony will care about your doomsday stats.

Plus this gen they make profit on hardware rather than a huge loss and a lot of revenue from ps plus.

I agree. I wonder when they will release PS4 Slim. Maybe with FFXV? Or sometime before FFXV? PS3 Slim was released some months before FFXIII.

Maybe they will simply cut the price or introduce new colors and they will release PS4 Slim with DQXI or with FFVIIR.

OneKartVita said:
PS4 overtakes PS3:
PS4 has officially (according to Media Create) overtaken the PS3. In week 99 of its existence, the PS4 is at 2,337,636 while the PS3 was at 2,323,926

Time to celebrate folks!

And with one of the biggest years ever in japan.

Ps4 could cruch ps3

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
OneKartVita said:

I assume you are refering to my post?

Not sure why my post is considered doomsday by you? Its just a reflection of the facts that show the market is 50% down on what it was last gen.  EVERY company is selling less home consoles than they used to in Japan, by a considerable margin.    The PS4 will struggle to outsell the PS3 in Japan.

Am I wrong?

Yes ancilliary servies charged to the consumer by manufacturers mean each console sold by Sony and MS should be far more profitable (should!?), but that wasn't what the conversation was about is it.  It was about number sold through.

Yes they will all sell less but if the ps4 can match the ps3 it's stopped the decline for Sony and in a very profitable manner.  

Nobody is expecting ps4 to match ps2 in Japan. And it doesn't need to,  to sustain a healthy market.  

I suspect PS4 will continue ahead of PS3 for now but at September it will have to beat the PS3 slim numbers, which will be difficult. Good news is that FFXV and Yakuza 6 (Tales of Berseria too?) will be released around that time.

padib said:

What I don't understand is that, clearly people don't want Western games in Japan as shown by the relatively low sales numbers. So, in that case, why are they pushing so hard with marketing money to make people like it?

It's annoying because Japan makes some of the best games in the world, and here we are pushing our junk like GTA and CoD to their shores.

What are you qualifying as low sales numbers? Fallout, Call of Duty, The Witcher 3, and GTA5 all sold very well.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

padib said:
outlawauron said:
padib said:

What I don't understand is that, clearly people don't want Western games in Japan as shown by the relatively low sales numbers. So, in that case, why are they pushing so hard with marketing money to make people like it?

It's annoying because Japan makes some of the best games in the world, and here we are pushing our junk like GTA and CoD to their shores.

What are you qualifying as low sales numbers? Fallout, Call of Duty, The Witcher 3, and GTA5 all sold very well.

GTA5 is at 45k. Relatively speaking, against most Japan numbers and especially against US numbers, it's very low.

What? It is over 200k (I think something between 230-240k).

I think he is a little confused. GTAV has 4 released in Japan.

GTAV PS3
GTAV PS3 Budget Release (low price)
GTAV PS4
GTAV PS4 Budget Release (low price)

If you combine all these versions, it's sales should be around 1million. The PS3 version alone is at 700k+. What you are seeing is only the Budget release of the PS4 version.