By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Undertale gets a 10 from IGN

Tagged games:

etking said:
A game should not get a better score just because it is an indie game. And I heard that it is very short, so no way this rating can be justified.

The game focuses on replayability (multiple endings which actually matter, and have different playstyles.) It's a great game regardless of its budget. It is the third best RPG of 2015 in my opinion (1. Pillars of Eternity 2. Xenoblade Chronicles X 3. Undertale 4. The Witcher 3  5. Fallout 4, and I have not yet played Bloodborne, but it would probably take the #3 spot from what I've seen.) 

No game deserves a perfect score, but plenty get them. So I really don't see how it can't be justified. 

Around the Network

I'd probably give it a 7.0 or 7.5. I totally understand why it gets as much praise as it does, but i personally found the battle system incredibly tedious (even if it was quite unique). The story's presentation and structure was totally on point though, which is a rare.

FloatingWaffles said:
Ultrashroomz said:
Somewhat surprised that Undertale got a 10 from IGN of all people.

Well deserved IMO.

Why is that surprising?

Sorta like what Chazore said, I only expect them to give 10s to games like Rocket League or Call of Duty, that are extremely popular mainstream.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Its one of those rare games that make you care. A lot.
Especially now with all the "cinematic experiences" we're getting, this tiny indie game shits all over that and brings far more emotion than any AAA. Love it.

Well, that's my opinion at least.

awesome game, arguably my favorite of 2015. deserved. a wonderful experience full of heart and soul

Hi

Around the Network
Ultrashroomz said:
FloatingWaffles said:

Why is that surprising?

Sorta like what Chazore said, I only expect them to give 10s to games like Rocket League or Call of Duty, that are extremely popular mainstream.

IGN has never given Call of Duty a 10/10 though. 

And them being mainstream/popular has nothing to do with the quality of those games.  

Ultrashroomz said:
FloatingWaffles said:

Why is that surprising?

But that's not at all what they give 10s to. They'll give them to a well done sequel to a popular, but not super huge series like MGS. 

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Deserved.

I have my doubts on the reviewer's intention here. She seems like the type of person who would score this game high just for its SJWism.

FragilE^ said:
Its one of those rare games that make you care. A lot.

I think thats my biggest negative for the game, it FORCES these characters to be liked. I think Toby did not entertain the possibility that not all characters have to be fan favorites. Honestly, I hate Papyrus precisely because of the shoehorned "likability", though i admit I thought he was funny at first.

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!