By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Undertale gets a 10 from IGN

Tagged games:

Azzanation said:
naruball said:

Why not both?

For me it's the perfect example of a game getting a free pass for its length and visuals because it's indie. Graphics take money and time to make and it's something that is taken for granted. Just like one can enjoy a game for its music, another person can enjoy a game for its graphics.

I still consider Beyond the best game ever made because the graphics helped tremendously with immersion. Whenever I play a Telltales game, it never feels truly real. Just weird looking characters with a good story.

As for IGN, they really like to jump on bandwagons. Whether it's hate or love for a game, they make a huge deal with their score, either by giving it a too high score for what it is, or giving it a terrible score despite the game being decent.

Because graphics take away from the inner qulaity of a game. Its like a cover of a book, does it matter? No. Games like The Order/Ryse are perfect examples.

I've seen bad comparisons, but nothing comes close to this. You're comparing the cover of a book with the graphics of a video game. Ok. I think I've seen it all now.

Around the Network
Arminillo said:
FragilE^ said:
Its one of those rare games that make you care. A lot.

I think thats my biggest negative for the game, it FORCES these characters to be liked. I think Toby did not entertain the possibility that not all characters have to be fan favorites. Honestly, I hate Papyrus precisely because of the shoehorned "likability", though i admit I thought he was funny at first.

Its fine if you don't like them though. You are mostly watching Frisk interact with all of them, and they have their own lives and thoughts.

But I get what you mean. However, everything these days forces emotions out of you. Especially music, music is always used as a que to show you when to be happy and when to be sad. I still feel like Undertale did it well and I don't mind being lead down an emotional path if everything is well done.

My favourite movie last year was Interstellar mainly because it had really long, quiet scenes where the viewer was allowed to think and feel on their own. Loved it.

naruball said:
Azzanation said:

Because graphics take away from the inner qulaity of a game. Its like a cover of a book, does it matter? No. Games like The Order/Ryse are perfect examples.

I've seen bad comparisons, but nothing comes close to this. You're comparing the cover of a book with the graphics of a video game. Ok. I think I've seen it all now.

Or maybe you just dont want to accept it. We are suppose to play video games for fun, thats the whole intention of them. These days games are becoming more like graphical movies which is taking away what was suppose to be the most important thing about video games. The more focus a dev puts in graphics the lesser the game becomes. Undertale is a perfect examplem of a fun video game. Not how many polygons a character uses. Visuals is like a cover of a book, doesnt matter how good or bad they are, it doesnt make the game any better.

Azzanation said:
naruball said:

Or maybe you just dont want to accept it. We are suppose to play video games for fun, thats the whole intention of them.

Nope. You can't speak for everyone. Not everyone plays videogames for fun, and this has been discussed to death. Some play them for the challenge, others for the experience. In a movie you passively watch what happens. In a video game with a strong story and great visuals you get some or complete control of what happens next. Video games are the only medium that can offer that experience.

If graphics don't matter as much as people say, they should keep gaming on ps2 or earlier consoles. There are many games with great gameplay and I'm sure it's a matter of disovering them (I find it unlikely anyone has played all the good games from the NES-ps2 eras). 

Still people want better graphics and better experiences. You can't tell them what to like. And I'm not doing that either. All I'm saying is that I don't agree with the score and I think it's wrong to give a free pass to indies despite their terrible graphics and deduct points from games like Devil's Third which doesn't look that great by today's standards. But if graphics don't matter, why do they matter in one case and not in the other? Should every developer make 16-bit games to avoid criticism?

One thing's for sure. Great graphics don't take away anything from a game. But if you don't like the gameplay, of course there is no point playing a game. If I have the choice, I'll take the complete package over a game with only good gameplay. The experience for me (and many others) is better.

naruball said:
Azzanation said:

Or maybe you just dont want to accept it. We are suppose to play video games for fun, thats the whole intention of them.

Nope. You can't speak for everyone. Not everyone plays videogames for fun, and this has been discussed to death. ]

That is a ridiculous statement. Unless you are a prospective game developer learning from the game design, you are playing a game to have fun, just as people read books, watch movies, or look at  a painting to gain enjoyment. Otherwise, these people who you think aren't playing the game to have "fun" won't do it in their recreation 

Around the Network

I've really got to try that game out... eventually.

Signature goes here!

sc94597 said:
naruball said:

Nope. You can't speak for everyone. Not everyone plays videogames for fun, and this has been discussed to death. ]

That is a ridiculous statement. Unless you are a prospective game developer learning from the game design, you are playing a game to have fun, just as people read books, watch movies, or look at  a painting to gain enjoyment. Otherwise, these people who you think aren't playing the game to have "fun" won't do it in their recreation 

I agree. I don't know what's the point on playing, watching, reading something if it's not for learning. Yeah, some people want challenge, other people want to relax playing an easy game, some people would want to play competitive and be better than other guys, or just playing to have some laughs. But all of it it's the definition of fun. Each person has fun in his way. A good challenge, laughing, relaxing... 

sc94597 said:
naruball said:

Yeah, no. The only ridiculous statement here is yours. I don't have fun when I play Bloodborne. I feel a sense of accomplishment after I beat a boss, but it's not fun. It's a challenge that I'm willing to take. I have fun playing House of the Dead. I have fun playing Tearaway. I don't have fun playing The Walking Dead Season One. I play it for the way it makes me feel, just like when I watch a drama that makes me cry.

I understand that some people have fun while playing The Walking Dead and Bloodnorne, but not me or many others. So, once again, you can't speak for everyone.There have been other threads discussing this topic. If you think it's so ridiculous, look them up and argue with everyone there. I've said my piece.

Volterra_90 said:
sc94597 said:

I agree. I don't know what's the point on playing, watching, reading something if it's not for learning. Yeah, some people want challenge, other people want to relax playing an easy game, some people would want to play competitive and be better than other guys, or just playing to have some laughs. But all of it it's the definition of fun. Each person has fun in his way. A good challenge, laughing, relaxing... 

Serious question. Do you have fun when you watch a drama? And I mean something super serious that actually makes you cry. Do you leave the cinema thinking, "boy that Brokeback Mountain movie was fun!" What about the movie Melancholia? Or my sister's keeper? "We need to talk abotu Kevin". "Prayers for Bob". And the list goes on.

naruball said:
sc94597 said:

Yeah, no. The only ridiculous statement here is yours. I don't have fun when I play Bloodborne. I feel a sense of accomplishment after I beat a boss, but it's not fun. It's a challenge that I'm willing to take. I have fun playing House of the Dead. I have fun playing Tearaway. I don't have fun playing The Walking Dead Season One. I play it for the way it makes me feel, just like when I watch a drama that makes me cry.

I understand that some people have fun while playing The Walking Dead and Bloodnorne, but not me or many others. So, once again, you can't speak for everyone.There have been other threads discussing this topic. If you think it's so ridiculous, look them up and argue with everyone there. I've said my piece.

Again you are mixing things up. You gain enjoyment from the "sense of accomplishment" hence you are having fun. If one looks up the definition of fun, this is what one gets,

"enjoyment, amusement, or lighthearted pleasure" "amusing, entertaining, or enjoyable."

The challenge is an obstacle which once you surpass you experience enjoyment. Hence it is fun. 
So yes, I will contest your faulty premise that you are not having fun, because otherwise you wouldn't spend your recreational time doing these things.