By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Undertale gets a 10 from IGN

Tagged games:

naruball said:

Serious question. Do you have fun when you watch a drama? And I mean something super serious that actually makes you cry. Do you leave the cinema thinking, "boy that Brokeback Mountain movie was fun!" What about the movie Melancholia? Or my sister's keeper? "We need to talk abotu Kevin". "Prayers for Bob". And the list goes on.

You say it as if it is a binary. I gain enjoyment from watching a thought-provoking drama. So yes, it is "fun." "Fun" doesn't mean "enjoyment gained from only positive feelings" which seems to be how you are defining it/narrowing it to.

Around the Network
etking said:
A game should not get a better score just because it is an indie game. And I heard that it is very short, so no way this rating can be justified.

Agreed, there is simply no way this game is better than say Fallout 4 and Bloodborne.

sc94597 said:
naruball said:

Serious question. Do you have fun when you watch a drama? And I mean something super serious that actually makes you cry. Do you leave the cinema thinking, "boy that Brokeback Mountain movie was fun!" What about the movie Melancholia? Or my sister's keeper? "We need to talk abotu Kevin". "Prayers for Bob". And the list goes on.

You say it as if it is a binary. I gain enjoyment from watching a thought-provoking drama. So yes, it is "fun." "Fun" doesn't mean "enjoyment gained from only positive feelings" which seems to be how you are defining it/narrowing it to.

Yeah, ok. Everything in life is fun. I stand corrected. Give me a break.

naruball said:
Volterra_90 said:

I agree. I don't know what's the point on playing, watching, reading something if it's not for learning. Yeah, some people want challenge, other people want to relax playing an easy game, some people would want to play competitive and be better than other guys, or just playing to have some laughs. But all of it it's the definition of fun. Each person has fun in his way. A good challenge, laughing, relaxing... 

Ah, okey, I think it's a question of semantics. With "fun" I mean enjoyable. I'm not an English expert, but I think it's not the same fun than funny? Well, this is a bit off-topic. I was refering to enjoy something, being sad, fun, a hard game or whatever. 

Volterra_90 said:
naruball said:

Ah, okey, I think it's a question of semantics. With "fun" I mean enjoyable. I'm not an English expert, but I think it's not the same fun than funny? Well, this is a bit off-topic. I was refering to enjoy something, being sad, fun, a hard game or whatever. 

I get what you mean but I'm not saying that someting needs to be funny to be fun. An action movie can be fun to watch with zero funny scenes/moments.

Going out with friends can be fun even if something bad happens. But if someone tells you "I have cancer" and when you say goodbye you also say "this was fun", it would sound pretty disrespectful, don't you think?

In other words, if someone asks you, is that movie fun?/Did you have fun watching it? You'll most likely say "I wouldn't call that fun, but yeah it was a great movie. You should watch it". Some movies make you think (or even reevaluate your entire life) without being fun. There is a difference between "I enjoyed this movie" and "that movie was fun (to watch)".

Around the Network
naruball said:
sc94597 said:

Yeah, ok. Everything in life is fun. I stand corrected. Give me a break.

Strawman. That wasn't what I said. "Everything in life during recreation time is fun" would be a little bit more accurate, but not exactly.

rolltide101x said:
etking said:
A game should not get a better score just because it is an indie game. And I heard that it is very short, so no way this rating can be justified.

Agreed, there is simply no way this game is better than say Fallout 4 and Bloodborne.

It is unique and original, something new and good. Fallout 4 is okay, but it isn't even the best Fallout game and represents a regression. For that reason I'd rate this game better than Fallout 4.

I haven't played Bloodborne, but I'd probably agree that it is a better game if I were to play it.

Furthermore, it is hard to compare this game to Fallout 4 or Bloodborne. It has a very different playstyle, story style, and goals.

sc94597 said:

Strawman. That wasn't what I said. "Everything in life during recreation time is fun" would be a little bit more accurate, but not exactly.

As the ever so wise JLaw once said:

You can call it whatever you want, I won't stop you. If you don't understand something as simple as different people play different games for different reasons and that not everything we feel when we play a game can be referred to as "fun", I honestly have nothing to say to you and let's just drop it here.

naruball said:
sc94597 said:

As the ever so wise JLaw once said:

You can call it whatever you want, I won't stop you. If you don't understand something as simple as different people play different games for different reasons and that not everything we feel when we play a game can be referred to as "fun", I honestly have nothing to say to you and let's just drop it here.

Who contested the bolded? All of these reasons fall under the ultimate goal of "gain enjoyment/having fun" unless they are educational/occupational (you learn from the game design or you are reviewing the game.)

It is like saying because I am scared when I ride a roller coaster, I am not having fun. It is a silly strict definition to make oneself not look like a kid/overestimate one's hobby as important. That is why I dispute your limited use of the word.

Those graphics... 10/10!

Haha... i'm joking. I don't care what IGN scores. They lost my respect many, many years ago... along with most commercial reviewers. They can review a pair of shoes 10/10 for all i care. xD