By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - List of 8th gen, million selling Nintendo IP

foxtail said:
curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Like I said, a 20% decline can be explained by other reasons than simply "less mainstream"

What did a GC+GBA SP cost in 2003 onward? $200 total, what have the premium 3DS sku+Wii U cost for the majority of this generation? $500. Even adjusted for inflation, that's nearly double the cost to own both pieces of Nintendo hardware. Is a nearly 100% percent mark up on price a potential reason for a 20% decline?

As for marketing, many people initially thought 3DS was nothing more than a redesigned DS with a 3D screen and many people thought Wii U was nothing more than a tablet accessory for Wii, did either GBA or GC suffer from consumer confusion like 3DS/Wii U did?

Causes like price and appeal don't discount the end result though. Ultimately, people will pay higher prices if something is more desirable; PS2 was more expensive than Gamecube but vastly outsold it.

The PS2 was on average only ~$54 more expensive than the Gamecube throughout it's lifespan.  That's not a huge difference considering it doubled as a DVD player. 

Date

Gamecube Price

PS2 price

~Price difference

November 2001

$199 (launch price)

$299

~6 months $100

May 2002

$149 (-$50)

$199 (launch price)

~12 months $50

May 2003

$149

$179 (-$20)

~4 months $30

September 2003

$99 (-$50)

$179

~8 months $80

May 2004

$99

$149 (-$30)

~23 months $50

April 2006

$99

$129 (-$20)

~10 months $30

Feb 2007

$99 discontinued

$129                     

-

April 2009

-

$99 (-$30)

-

Gamecube was still cheaper the whole time, but that didn't help much cos in the end it simply wasn't a desirable product.

Around the Network
Kennel83 said:
But... but... Nintendo is dooooomed! xD
The game I'm more anticipated to reach that point is Xenoblade X, it just deserves it.
And from the list, the game that shocked me more is Tomodachi Life, almost 5 million? That's insane!
Also, Mario kart 3ds and wii u=18m, not too bad huh? :D

Good way to know whether someone's trolling or not is them mentioning "doomed" in their post...

Hopefully traditional top down Zelda games continue but with Between Worlds selling less than 2.5 million when Mario 3D World sold 4 million at the same time, Nintendo may try something else.

And 3D World actually sold pretty well. Hopefully this means there are three types of Mario series (2D, 3D, and 3D World/Land) and Nintendo won't use this as an excuse to stop making 64/Sunshine/Galaxy games since 3D Mario has progressively become linear since Galaxy 1. 3D World/Land was fun though.

This is 3DS + Wii U right?

sony haspublished:

ps4 = 11 games over 1m by vgc. (nintendo has 17 games over 1m on wii u, its published)

vita = 3 games over 1m by vgc.

In that sense... nintendo doing 40 games over 1m, vs Sonys 14 games looks impressive.

However the PS4 & vita havnt been as long on the market.

By the time the PS4 is old and dying, Sony will probably be above where nintendo currently are.

zorg1000 said:

You wouldn't mind if I used this concept and put together lists for other publishers, would you? I would credit and link to this one, of course.

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS

Around the Network

A Link Between Worlds is at 2.84 million according to Chartz. Add in digital and it's most likely already over 3 million. There is still, very much, an audience, and large one too for traditional top-down Zelda games. So I wouldn't worry in that department.

armodillo17 said:
Nautilus said:

Why are you trying to lowball the games performance?

Edit:And it is outperforming the first in every single region.Just to give a few numbers, the first one sold in UK around 5k in first week, while X sold 10k.And in France, the first one did 40k in the first year, while X sold more than that in less than 2 weeks.And in US(this is vgchartz numbers), it sold around 1q50k the first ones first week, while X sold around 230k, and that dosent even include digital numbers.So yes, this game is performing extremely well.I still cant believe people are trying to say this game will sell badly...

I'm not trying to, that's just what I think. I would be absolutely thrilled to be wrong. However, looking at the sales data again, I'm less sure. It's a little hard to compare sales data for the two games (in support of either of our points) because the first one was so hard to obtain in the US and there is missing data from EU's initial sales.

I just looked at the original's numbers again, and just saw that, in the US, it sold 10k in 2013, 15k in 2014, and 56k in 2015. That's crazy! I didn't even know you could buy a new copy in 2015. I don't know that I've seen that happen before, so clearly its sales aren't following the usual pattern. Sales in Europe seemed to follow the normal curve; in Japan, however, sales fell off a cliff. It did 151k in 2010, 8k in 2011, and 83 total copies in 2012 (nothing after that), so it never even managed to eclipse double its first week sales (82k).

As far as X goes, it is definitely outperforming the original in the west, but not in Japan. First week sales were better by 4k, but sales after 2 weeks were already down by 5k, and by week 10 were down by 17k. Also, EU's numbers for the original are way off, because the first 8 weeks are missing from both Germany and France, and the first week is missing from the UK (at least what I'm looking at right now), so the increase in EU is not nearly as big as it looks. With how strong NA sales have been, it's obviously way ahead globally right now, but I'm not convinced that it will have the staying power of its predecessor. For one thing, the original released in the US in April on a completely dead console, and in the EU in August on a mostly dying console. X released in the holiday season for a console that has as much momentum now as it probably has ever had (however small that is). By all accounts, the story is much weaker, too. Who knows, though. Only time will tell. Like I said, I would love to be wrong.

Its that its just hard to believe that the game that did 720k in less than 1 minth cant do 280k in the rest of its life.(less with digital)

And adressing Japan, while physical sales are around 130k, we know for certain that it did 23k in the first month digitally, and assuming the worst and saying that it did only 7k in the next months digitally, the game sits at around 160k, which is basically what the first game made lifetime.Giving a bit more time, it will surely pass that.Just for reference, I think the game made around 150k first year, and X already passed that in around 7 months.So it is outselling the first one, even if just by a small margin.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Seems a shame Pikmin 3 is sitting only at 1 million after all this time, it's really a great game.

zorg1000 said:

Despite all of the talk about Nintendo withering away into irrelevance, they are still a powerhouse when it comes to software.

1. Pokemon X/Y-13.52

2. Mario Kart 7-11.70

3. Super Mario 3D Land-10.60

4. Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire-9.86

5. New Super Mario Bros. 2-9.48

6. Animal Crossing: New Leaf-8.65

7. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS-7.09

8. Mario Kart 8-6.55

9. New Super Mario Bros. U-5.03

10. Tomodachi Life-4.81

11. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U-4.63

12. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon-4.46

13. Nintendo Land-4.35

14. Super Mario 3D World-4.00

15. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D-3.95

16. Splatoon-3.93

17. Nintendogs+Cats-3.70

18. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds-2.84

19. Super Mario Maker-2.57

20. Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer-2.56

21. Paper Mario: Sticker Star-2.22

22. New Super Luigi U-2.21

23. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D-2.16

24. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team-1.98

25. Fire Emblem: Awakening-1.86

26. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D-1.77

27. Wii Party U-1.72

28. Kirby: Triple Deluxe-1.72

29. Mario Party: Island Tour-1.67

30. the Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker HD-1.58

31. Mario Party 10-1.36

32. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze-1.33

33. Kid Icarus: Uprising-1.24

34. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity-1.22

35. Yoshi's New Island-1.22

36. Hyrule Warriors-1.18

37. Pokemon Rumble Blast-1.12

38. Yoshi's Woolly World-1.10

39. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker-1.08

40. Pikmin 3-1.00

There are also a handful of recently & soon to be released games that will likely pass this mark. Xenoblade X, Triforce Heroes, Paper Jam, Super Mystery Dungeon, Fire Emblem Fates, Hyrule Warriors Legends, Twilight Princess HD, Pokken Tournament, Star Fox, Zelda U, the inevitable Pokémon Z. So when all is said and done, there will be over five 10 million sellers, over ten 5 million sellers, over twenty-five 2 million sellers & over fifty 1 million sellers.

3DS games are not a part of the 8th generation. They have their own gens.

AlfredoTurkey said:

3DS games are not a part of the 8th generation. They have their own gens.

Uuuuh, that statement could bring so much controversy.

I think after the original GameBoy and its competiors (Game Gear, Atari Lynx...), we can count handhelds as part of the console generations. They usually get as much attention as consoles, and have been very important machines for the console manufacturers.I would draw the line at the introduction of cartrige-based portable gaming. Those machines that have only one game (Game&Watch, Tiger handhelds...) are a diferent breed of machine altogether. Also, handheld games nowadays take almost as much time and resources to make than home console games, so there isn't that much of a technical difference anymore.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.