By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - List of 8th gen, million selling Nintendo IP

jason1637 said:
Its crazy to think Nintendo has published 40 games that has sold 1ml units in about 5 years. What other publishers can say that?

Yep! That's pretty INSANE! Especially how most of their audience from last gen were abducted by SmartPhone Gaming. 

It would be nice for some EA and Ubisoft list too......And other big companies out there (If anyone got time I'll say thanks in advance) 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

Keep on forgetting that Nintendogs + Cats did pretty well.. :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

I dunno; in 3DS's market mobile gaming is the mainstream, while in the console space, Playstation/Xbox are mainstream.

Nintendo's not entirely niche, at least not so far, but I definitely think they've lost a lot of their influence outside their loyalist following.

I doubt 80 million units of hardware & 400 million units of software is sold just to loyalists. Games like Pokemon, Mario platformers, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart & Smash Bros have mass appeal which allows them to sell 10+ million, games don't sell that well just to loyalists.

I'm not saying their appeal to the mainstream is gone altogether, just that it has declined.

The Wii U has whittled Nintendo's console market share down to not much more than the loyalists.

3DS has fared better because it launched back when their mainstream appeal was stronger, but mobile has increasingly cut into its market share.

Games like Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and Pokemon still have mainstream appeal, yes. Just not as much as they used to.

Only compared to the DS/Wii Era is Nintendo significantly down in terms of total hardware & software sales.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

Only compared to the DS/Wii Era is Nintendo significantly down in terms of total hardware & software sales.

Wii U and 3DS hardware sales are both down from GCN and GBA respectively, not to mention NES/SNES/N64 and Gameboy.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Wii U and 3DS hardware sales are both down from GCN and GBA respectively, not to mention NES/SNES/N64 and Gameboy.

Hence why I said significantly

NES+G&W, SNES+GB, N64+GBC, GC+GBA all did roughly 100 million units of hardware with 500 million units of software. 3DS+Wii U are on track to do 80 million units of hardware with 400 million units of software. That amount of decline can possibly be attributed to Nintendo making certain design and marketing mistakes rather than simply losing mainstream appeal.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

NES+G&W, SNES+GB, N64+GBC, GC+GBA all did roughly 100 million units of hardware with 500 million units of software. 3DS+Wii U are on track to do 80 million units of hardware with 400 million units of software. That amount of decline can possibly be attributed to Nintendo making certain design and marketing mistakes rather than simply losing mainstream appeal.

GBC was not really a separate system, anymore than DS Lite or New 3DS. Gameboy covered both the SNES and N64 generations, but that's a whole other story.

Anyway, 100 million with GCN + GBA to 80 million with Wii U + 3DS is still a 20% decline, I wouldn't call that insignificant.

Jranation said:
jason1637 said:
Its crazy to think Nintendo has published 40 games that has sold 1ml units in about 5 years. What other publishers can say that?

Yep! That's pretty INSANE! Especially how most of their audience from last gen were abducted by SmartPhone Gaming. 

It would be nice for some EA and Ubisoft list too......And other big companies out there (If anyone got time I'll say thanks in advance) 

That never happened.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

GBC was not really a separate system, anymore than DS Lite or New 3DS. Gameboy covered both the SNES and N64 generations, but that's a whole other story.

Anyway, 100 million with GCN + GBA to 80 million with Wii U + 3DS is still a 20% decline, I wouldn't call that insignificant.

Both 3ds and Wii U were much more expensive and had way less 3rd party games than GBA and GC respectively, in a time with far more competition. I think those numbers are great, all things considered.

Thunderbird77 said:
curl-6 said:

Both 3ds and Wii U were much more expensive and had way less 3rd party games than GBA and GC respectively, in a time with far more competition. I think those numbers are great, all things considered.

It could definitely have been much worse, I'll give you that.

Overall though, Nintendo still wield less power now than they did in previous generations. They still make great games that well sell, they're just not quite the industry powerhouse they used to be.

Thunderbird77 said:
Jranation said:
jason1637 said:

That never happened.

150mil ---> 55+mil

100mil ----> 10+mil

Pocky Lover Boy!