By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - List of 8th gen, million selling Nintendo IP

curl-6 said:

As far as their "becoming less relevant" I think that's more a matter of audience reach rather than sales.

Yes, their games still sell well, but they sell well mostly to their established fanbase. Outside of this fanbase however, they have become less relevant to the gaming mainstream.

Idk, Nintendo has sold about 70 million units of hardware so far this generation, with 22-25 million per major region. End of generation will be 80+ million, with 25+ million per major region. I would say they are still overall pretty mainstream.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Most of those are on the 3DS.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

As far as their "becoming less relevant" I think that's more a matter of audience reach rather than sales.

Yes, their games still sell well, but they sell well mostly to their established fanbase. Outside of this fanbase however, they have become less relevant to the gaming mainstream.

Idk, Nintendo has sold about 70 million units of hardware so far this generation, with 22-25 million per major region. End of generation will be 80+ million, with 25+ million per major region. I would say they are still overall pretty mainstream.

I dunno; in 3DS's market mobile gaming is the mainstream, while in the console space, Playstation/Xbox are mainstream.

Nintendo's not entirely niche, at least not so far, but I definitely think they've lost a lot of their influence outside their loyalist following.

Lawlight said:

Ya and.......

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Ultrashroomz said:
I must say, MK8 fares extremely well when you consider the Wii U's install base versus the 3DS's.

its a better game IMHO

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
armodillo17 said:
I seriously doubt that Xenoblade X will reach that milestone. Sales data for both it (in Japan) and its predecessor (in all territories) indicate that the vast majority of sales were in the first month. It's pretty far down on the charts.

Its already at 720k counting Japan digital number in less than 1 month..... and it is still doing 50k to 60k each week.And that dosent include digital, that is the recommended version and since places like france which had stock problems, digital numbers could be high(relatively speaking).1 Million is all but garanteed

Why are you trying to lowball the games performance?

Edit:And it is outperforming the first in every single region.Just to give a few numbers, the first one sold in UK around 5k in first week, while X sold 10k.And in France, the first one did 40k in the first year, while X sold more than that in less than 2 weeks.And in US(this is vgchartz numbers), it sold around 1q50k the first ones first week, while X sold around 230k, and that dosent even include digital numbers.So yes, this game is performing extremely well.I still cant believe people are trying to say this game will sell badly...

The digital should be around 10% since the game is 22gb and the Wii u comes with 50gbs only. so it could be around 790k-800k.

Lawlight said:

to be fair damn near half of them are on Wii U, which aint bad

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

I dunno; in 3DS's market mobile gaming is the mainstream, while in the console space, Playstation/Xbox are mainstream.

Nintendo's not entirely niche, at least not so far, but I definitely think they've lost a lot of their influence outside their loyalist following.

I doubt 80 million units of hardware & 400 million units of software is sold just to loyalists. Games like Pokemon, Mario platformers, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart & Smash Bros have mass appeal which allows them to sell 10+ million, games don't sell that well just to loyalists.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

I doubt 80 million units of hardware & 400 million units of software is sold just to loyalists. Games like Pokemon, Mario platformers, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart & Smash Bros have mass appeal which allows them to sell 10+ million, games don't sell that well just to loyalists.

I'm not saying their appeal to the mainstream is gone altogether, just that it has declined.

The Wii U has whittled Nintendo's console market share down to not much more than the loyalists.

3DS has fared better because it launched back when their mainstream appeal was stronger, but mobile has increasingly cut into its market share.

Games like Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and Pokemon still have mainstream appeal, yes. Just not as much as they used to.

Lawlight said:

Still from Nintendo. 

Pocky Lover Boy!