By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Consoles and Durability: Ever Have Any Console Break On You?

Tagged games:

Has any of your consoles ever broken down?

Yes 152 66.09%

No 78 33.91%

Total:230

My NES from 1989 is still alive and kicking!

My SNES died, I still don't know why. But I just got a new one, that one's running fine til today.

I had a Game Boy broken, but just because I was a kid and treated it like shit. =D

Then there was Gen 7. Oh dear god, please don't remind me. That friggin' Xbox 360. I'm serious. That fucker broke 9 times (!) over the years on me. The first one destroyed my discs for no reason whatsoever. Microsoft even refused to give me a new one at first. I was really pissed at that time. Then I got 3 RROD. Another 360 had trouble with the disc drive. Another one locked me out from Xbox Live, even though I never hacked it or cheated or anything. My 360s were always so messed up that at one point I bought a second one as a backup console in case the other was breaking again. I'm not kidding, I actually did that!

The fat PS3 didn't really die on me. But it became EXTREMELY LOUD over time. I couldn't hear the TV anymore when playing a game. So I decided to get a ne Super Slim. But technically, my old fat lady from 2007 is still running...

My old Vita died on me. The left analog stick stopped working, I don't know why. So I got a new one.

Other than that, I'm fine.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
Versus_Evil said:
AsGryffynn said:
Two guesses on why I left Sony and never came back... the first one doesn't count...

Oh shut the hell up already.

@OP 3 Xbox 360s, 2 PS3s (lanch fatty is still going tho) 1 Xbox One

What did I do?!

Wright said:
Versus_Evil said:

Oh shut the hell up already.

Well damn, you're being harsh here.

EDIT: Alan Wake killed my OG 360, and I once dropped my 3DS, made a backflip in the air and crashed into the ground shattering its upper screen completely. Can't blame Nintendo on that one, though.

Never mind him, I hear that speech everyday...

As for specifics?  FFX killed a PS2 and my PS3 had a YLOD brand new. Thankfully I discarded the first and bought an Xbox and had the console returned in exchange for a Super Slim model (it was the original one) that has lasted to this day...

Who the hell had the idea that slot loading drives were any good? There's a reason even PC gamers avoid them like the plague!

Owned a lot of consoles over the years, but only had 2 die on me. Technically both kinda didn't belong to me by that point though.

The first was a PS2 fat. I'd had it for 6 years and agreed to sell it to my friend's brother as I had a slim. He came round and I was just doing some final checks on it. Turn it on and then it just dies. Unbelievable.

Second was a 60GB PS3 I bought for my girlfriend 5 months ago. Stopped giving video output a week ago and can't hard reset it. I'll try and see what I can do, but it's probably dead.

Luke888 said:
My consoles never broke, or at least is wasn't their fault, My DS lite was thrown by my sister in the fireplace, but even if it was damaged by the fire it still works nowdays...
My 3DS lived 4 years of constant falling but managed to survive until I decided to change it last year, but I'm shure it would have lived a lot more. My Wii/GC work perfectly, my GBASP is still functional tough I lost the charger.
The only console that broke in my family was my brother's PS2, it one fell because of it's bad placing and never read the games properly again...

Sorry, but the story of your DS made me chuckle a little. xD Who tosses a console into a fire?! And it's more shocking that it still works. It reminds me of the story of the Gameboy that was bombed, but somehow still manages to work today.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Well, it sounds like almost every has a story of a console breaking at some point in time, ranging from a wider range of consoles than I would have imagined, haha. I figured the most common stories would be the 360 ring of deaths. It also sounds like it wasn't just me being unlucky with PS2s... x )

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

Only one, my fat PS3, fan always sounded loud, but towards the end it was ridiculous. Getting a super slim for far less with almost 10x the storage made the loss sting less.

To be fair though, I'm sure my old PS1 & PS2 no longer work, wherever they are. I beat the shit outta my PS1, and my original PS2 was acting up right before I gave it away when I got my PS3.

Cloudman said:
Luke888 said:
My consoles never broke, or at least is wasn't their fault, My DS lite was thrown by my sister in the fireplace, but even if it was damaged by the fire it still works nowdays...
My 3DS lived 4 years of constant falling but managed to survive until I decided to change it last year, but I'm shure it would have lived a lot more. My Wii/GC work perfectly, my GBASP is still functional tough I lost the charger.
The only console that broke in my family was my brother's PS2, it one fell because of it's bad placing and never read the games properly again...

Sorry, but the story of your DS made me chuckle a little. xD Who tosses a console into a fire?! And it's more shocking that it still works. It reminds me of the story of the Gameboy that was bombed, but somehow still manages to work today.

Np, the DS story is always fun to bring back, she was annoying me because I'd never let her use my DS since she's well known for breaking every single piece of technology that she touches,just to let you understand: she's currently 22, she probably got her first mobile when she was 15/16, as far as I know she changed more than 12 phones, they were all new Phones and she broke all of them :v ; going back to the DS story she tried to take away the DS from my hands and started Fighting with me ending up with the console in her hands. After someting like 5 minutes she was threatening me to do something for her in front of the fireplace while swinging the console in her hand unconcious of the prescence of the stylus. As you might have immagined the Stylus slipped out ending up right on the top of the burning wood and she was so shocked that she let go the whole thing. Luckily the console ended up on some ash that was far enough from the fire to not get melted, or at least everything excluding a 5mm long piece of plastic near the battery light on the flipping cylinder, so that the screen now sometimes is removed from it's place and is only atached from the left side of the console where there is the cable that makes the upper screen work. Saddly the stylus wasn't lucky enough and was melted...

I've never had a console completely break down, but the HDMI on my (little brother's) Wii U is likely broken

Having bought all major consoles from nes to 7th gen only ps1 and ps2 broke but both were severelly abused by bootlegged games for 8h a day 7 days a week for 5years each. So the first one had disc reader unaliement and the second I'm not sure the issue because a friend borrowed and repaired (it still read with some tries when I borrowed) but I guess it was the reading mechanism as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Luke888 said:
Cloudman said:

Np, the DS story is always fun to bring back, she was annoying me because I'd never let her use my DS since she's well known for breaking every single piece of technology that she touches,just to let you understand: she's currently 22, she probably got her first mobile when she was 15/16, as far as I know she changed more than 12 phones, they were all new Phones and she broke all of them :v ; going back to the DS story she tried to take away the DS from my hands and started Fighting with me ending up with the console in her hands. After someting like 5 minutes she was threatening me to do something for her in front of the fireplace while swinging the console in her hand unconcious of the prescence of the stylus. As you might have immagined the Stylus slipped out ending up right on the top of the burning wood and she was so shocked that she let go the whole thing. Luckily the console ended up on some ash that was far enough from the fire to not get melted, or at least everything excluding a 5mm long piece of plastic near the battery light on the flipping cylinder, so that the screen now sometimes is removed from it's place and is only atached from the left side of the console where there is the cable that makes the upper screen work. Saddly the stylus wasn't lucky enough and was melted...

Woah, that's some story... After hearing it, I would be a little uncertain to lend your sister any electronics for too long.. xD

Also, dang, does the screen kind of slip out now? I'm surprised it can still work like that..

Dance my pretties!