By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Consoles and Durability: Ever Have Any Console Break On You?

Tagged games:

Has any of your consoles ever broken down?

Yes 152 66.09%

No 78 33.91%

Total:230

Below are my consoles and the end results.

Atari VCS: Still works fine

Intellevision: Still works fine

NES: Had to replace the pins a few years ago, cost almost nothing and works fine now

Sega Genesis: Still works fine

N64: Still works fine

PS1: Stopped reading discs rather quickly, replacement stopped working too

Dreamcast: Still works fine

Gamecube: Still works fine

Xbox: Still works fine

PS2: Stopped reading discs after a few years (3 I believe), no longer works

Wii: Still works fine

PS3 OG model: Still works great which, given the previous two broke and it's backwards compatible, I'm very grateful for that

Xbox360: My first one broke almost immediately (2005-06). My second broke two years later(2006-2008). My third stopped reading discs 2 1/2 years ago (2009-2013). My roommate's also only lasted three years. I'm bummed that a solid, large library of games are unplayable now, but I'm just not up for buying yet another of them.

Wii U: Works well but I think the fan is a little noisier than it's intended to be.

PS4: Works just fine

In sum, my experience with Gen 2 consoles has been positive with both consoles despite the VCS closing in on 40 and the intellevision being in its mid 30's. Nintendo consoles seem very durable, the sole exception being an easily and inexpensively replaced new set of pins for the NES. Sega, likewise, has been great (though the Gamegear stopped working due to shoddy capacitors, been planning to repair).

Otherwise, Sony got off to a shaky start with me, the PS1 seeming flimsy (both stopped working) and the PS2 eventually facing similar problems, though it was a definite improvement. They really picked up their game, though, with that first model PS3 being a glorious, backwards compatible brick of awesomeness, and the PS4 seems sturdy enough so far.

As for Microsoft, I feel I could drop kick the original Xbox and the only thing that would break is my foot. The Xbox360, however was incredibly frustrating. Over the course of that generation I had three consoles stop working personally, and witnessed my roommate's stop as well. I've no doubt we were unluckier than most, but when you couple that problem with the flimsy feel, loud fans and weird noises, I'm glad to put that console behind me. That's really saying something as it had my favorite games, controllers, and online experience of the generation... I just wish the Xbox1 was backwards compatible as I have quite a library that's unplayable now, and that alone would prompt me to buy one.

So, in total, two PS1's broke, one PS2 broke, and four Xbox360's broke. Overall I've been quite lucky, though. :)

*edit*: Forgot handhelds... I have an original Gameboy, another gameboy, two gameboy colors, a gameboy advanced, a DS, PSP, and 3ds, and all still work perfectly. The only broken one is the Gamegear, and apparently that's almost inevitable.

Around the Network

I thought I had lost my N64 a couple years back. I had gone through a bunch of moves and I was sure that it got banged around in transit. I tried everything I could think of but I couldn't get the console to display a start-up screen. I made one last-ditch effort by swapping out the 8 MB Expansion pack with the 4 MB Jumper Pack that came with the console (I have no idea how I still had it) and my N64 works great again.

All my other consoles: Game Boy Color (AFAIK), Game Boy Advance, N64, GCN, and Wii U all work without issues!

My consoles never broke, or at least is wasn't their fault, My DS lite was thrown by my sister in the fireplace, but even if it was damaged by the fire it still works nowdays...
My 3DS lived 4 years of constant falling but managed to survive until I decided to change it last year, but I'm shure it would have lived a lot more. My Wii/GC work perfectly, my GBASP is still functional tough I lost the charger.
The only console that broke in my family was my brother's PS2, it one fell because of it's bad placing and never read the games properly again...

PS1 - Died after 15 years of service.

Dreamcast (2nd hand)- Resets randomly. Probably fixable.

PS2 (fat) - Dead.

PS2 (slim) - Doesn't read dual layer discs anymore.

2nd slim PS2 - Controller doesn't work properly.

I've actually had issues with 3 of my consoles over the years, two of which surprisingly enough are from Nintendo who usually are the most reliable when it comes to hardware.

- Original NES with the constant red blinking light of death. Eventually got the amazing top-loader model with "dog bone" controller.

- My GameCube which I got at launch started getting disc read errors within 6 months of me getting it. Had to send it back to Nintendo for repairs which took almost a month.

- My 360 RROD'd almost a year to the day I bought it. Sent it back to M$ for repairs, and haven't had any issues with it since.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

Original 360 RROD
PS3 fat died cause a family member accidentally left it on for 3 days straight >.>

PS2 got DRE like 4 or 5 times. Xbox 360 red ringed like 3-4 times.

Never had a single console break since the Master System days and onwards, From whats still in use I still got my 360 from 2006 and PS3 from 2008 and they have probably had 10x the usage as most average users along with a Wii but that gets used a few times a year.

Wii got a disc read error due to dust inside. Nintendo cleaned it and gave a new 12 month guarantee.
DS lite had a loose connection somewhere, meaning that sometimes it didn't charge properly. Nintendo fixed it and gave a new 12 month guarantee. Both are still working fine.

I went through 5 Ps2's because they kept breaking on me, oops.