By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Sonic the most resilient character ever?

Tagged games:

Will Sonic ever die?

Yes 12 13.04%

No 39 42.39%

Already dead 41 44.57%

Total:92

As someone who's been around the Sonic community for awhile, I can tell you the opinion isn't really THAT common. Sonic 2 is generally considered the strongest game in the franchise, both among regular old school gamers and old Sonic fans.

Sonic Adventure 2 tends to be the choice of the younger people who were introduced to it during the Dreamcast/Gamecube years.

Me? I'd probably give it to Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic Colors, or Sonic Generations, depending on what criteria I'm going by.

Around the Network
Blob said:
Let's face it smash bros brawl was probably the most exposure he had ever received.

What?  I'm guessing you were not old enough to buy games in 1992, because to people that were around; your statment is ludicrous.

Go to 23:14 in the video, and tell me the last time you saw Super Smash bros, or even mario with this sort of media attention.  Back in Sonics height of fame in 1992, he was almost the biggest thing in the world.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

Sonic is dead, but not to the extent that we use the word. All of his recent games sell over 1M copies, and that's considered a success. People are still buying the games. Just because hardcoregamer92 isn't buying Sonic, that doesn't mean others are not. Sonic is very resilient and that may be due to his design and ever-changing game play mechanics. Although the mechanics suck, you can't say Sonic hasn't tried something different.

I don't think any other character could survive being so butchered by Sega, so yes.

I LOVE ICELAND!

mountaindewslave said:
Goodnightmoon said:
Sonic is too cool to die, most franchises would have been destroyed after something like Sonic 06, but not Sonic, not even Sonic Boom, like I said, too cool to die.

but arguably Sonic has become a running joke

his original games aren't even THAT good, maybe Sonic 3 is solid but the first 2 are ehhh. I actually enjoy plenty of Sonic titles, the Genesis titles despite their flaws, Sonic Adventure series, Sonic DX- but to act as if the Sonic fanbase is what it was 10 years ago is nuts. sales would show that but they don't. solo Sonic games are not doing better now than they used to. I suppose you could debate that that could be from the games being crap but I don't think that is fully the reason

Yes they are THAT good. All of the genesis and Sega CD sonics. And knuckles chaotix.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

I'd have to say YES!!!!

What makes me so angry with Sega is how they could create one of the most likable characters ever in video gaming and then put him in so many shitty games! Had they handled him like Nintendo handled Mario, Sega would still be in the console business. In my view, Sonic was always more interesting than Mario and actually had personality, yet Sega only seemed to think he had no value unless he was only in games where you run really fast without very little actual control over the character. They made some fantastic platformers but even in those, they failed to utilize Sonic to his fullest extent. And the way they treated his costars is even more tragic.

RolStoppable said:
BraLoD said:

Sonic was not the reason for Sega dropping the console development business, though.
Sonic had two main generations within Sega, the Mega Drive, where it started, and the Dreamcast.
The Master System was Alex Kidd generation and the Saturn the team tried something else with Nights.
All mainline games of those two gens were considered good to great games, they all had a good reception and good reviews.
Sonic started to get out of hand when Sega went out of the business.
When Sony got into the thing none Sega or Nintendo could compete with it, their consoles lost relevancy at the same time, but Nintendo had 2 advantages to survive that: It was being very succesful a generation before Sega, with the NES, and built a stronger first party; and Handhelds, which mostly because of Pokemon were all huge hits, were selling greatly and provinding a lot of money income to Nintendo.
Nintendo could survive Sony take over because of that and Sega simply couldn't, they didn't had the money to keep up with that anymore.
Sega handled Sonic very well when it was still on the business, but the shift from that model to being third party and the lower amount of income made it change way too much, and Sonic quality started to drop with it.

That's some revisionist history. It really shouldn't be hard to name a dozen of mediocre to terrible Sonic games that were released up to and including 1995.

Definitely:

3D blast

Handheld Blast

Labyrinth 

Pinball

Sonic R

Sonic/SEGA downfall has nothing to do with consoles.  

BraLoD said:
RolStoppable said:
BraLoD said:
RolStoppable said:

That's some revisionist history. It really shouldn't be hard to name a dozen of mediocre to terrible Sonic games that were released up to and including 1995.

Mainline titles?
1, 2, 3, Adventure 1 and Adventure 2 were all greatly received as the mainline titles for the Mega Drive and Dreamcast.

No, overall. That's what Puppyroach was talking about.

After a while it really didn't matter anymore that Sega had Sonic, because too many people got sick of him. It stopped being an IP to buy a Sega console for. Of course, Sega diehards would still buy a Dreamcast, but the more average gamer couldn't care less about Sega.

I don't understand the reason you quoted me then, you didn't think Sega handled Sonic well? Because I was clearly talking about mainline titles when it was still with Sega consoles in the Mega Drive and Dreamcast generations, and Sonic popularity and acceptation was still high back in that time.

Your implying that Sonic didnt have average to below games before leaving the console business. That is not true. 

BraLoD said:
Nope, I didn't implied this, I implied exatcly what I said, that the mainline stuff coming from it in those two generations when they happened were all well received, and only started to get out of hand after they went third party. And also that Sega handled Sonic well during this time, as its populatiry was still high and the being well received in the main games.

That's what I said.

When you want to analyze a companies track record with handling an IP you view everything, which puppy did. You came a narrowed it down to mainline games, but by doing that it allows you ignore bad games that could shoot your original point in the foot. I agree that SEGA handled Sonic well to a degree during that age, but there is also some shit that shouldn't have been greenlit. SEGA likes to experiment alot which is cool, but not at the expense of all of it being sub par something that effects Sonic today.