By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Oculus Rift.. $599 US - Ships in March.. UDPATE: Now MAY

JRPGfan said:
binary solo said:
Sony would have to sell it's headset at a loss if they want to sell much below Occulus, either that or it will be considerably inferior tech and so not as good an experience, and possibly even a bad experience (dizziness / headaches / nausea).

VR as a consumer device is more or less DoA. The question is whether it can be put to viable commercial uses. Walkthrough movies, gaming arenas, virtual tours...

Or.... they just planned or designed things better? more gifted workers, working on it for longer? make smarter choices?

Maybe they have better bussiness contracts, so they get components cheaper?  Just because company a) makes something, doesnt mean company b) cannot make something like it cheaper.

I simply refuse to believe this is as cheap as its currently possible to make VR headsets.

Occulus and samsung has a pretty good one for just 99$.. just instead of pc you just use your new phone.. :)

So you can make em in all prices allready now..

ONT:  this is occulus and zuckerberg wanting to have best VR experinces posible.. "no reason to play it quiet"

Around the Network
AEGRO said:

QUAKECore89 said:
AEGRO said:

Nailed it.

Also since this is in the PC forum area I'd like to toss this in from PCGamer since making a thread about the OR would be pointless at this point with the price tag having created an artificial stigma.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-oculus-rift-price-hurts-now-but-ultimately-wont-matter/

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
QUAKECore89 said:

Nailed it.

Also since this is in the PC forum area I'd like to toss this in from PCGamer since making a thread about the OR would be pointless at this point with the price tag having created an artificial stigma.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-oculus-rift-price-hurts-now-but-ultimately-wont-matter/

I think more than anything this line sums up what we should be taking from this whole thing.

"Too many people are too excited about the potential for VR for it to go away because the first headset has a $600 tag on it."

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:

I think more than anything this line sums up what we should be taking from this whole thing.

"Too many people are too excited about the potential for VR for it to go away because the first headset has a $600 tag on it."

I thought as much at what would be taken from the article, I was hoping for something more like this:

"As Kotaku pointed out today, Luckey did say in 2013 that a $600 Rift would be meaningless to the mainstream audience. True enough, VR is temporarily off the table for a lot of people. But here are some other things that I couldn’t afford at first:

• An iPhone (I have now owned three, granted via carrier contracts)
  • A desktop LCD display in the 90s (I’m not sure how many I’ve gone through today)
  • An HDTV (What other kind of TV would I have today?)
  • A 1TB HDD (I think I've had three)

I’d say those things have been successful, and had Apple compromised on the iPhone in that first year, I wonder if it would’ve become such a phenomenon. I’m not defending $600 as an accessible entry point—it’s not—but when I ignore the $350 “ballpark” expectation that was set and wound up two towns away, the price feels reasonable. G-sync and 4K displays can go from $400 to $800 or more—and this is brand new tech with a fancy screen and all sorts of motion detection and latency-reducing R&D. Consumer VR was always going to be a high-ish-end enthusiast product at launch."

That caught me eye more than anything and it's a true fact, new tech always ends up costing quite a bit if not a lot when it starts out, I remember SSD's costing a hell of a lot and now they are more affordable than they were 5-10 years ago, same for 1-2tb HDDs. To expect for brand new hot off the press premium and high end tech to come out at a price of £200 and less is expecting too much or you are expecting that any company is wholly obligated to bleed for your sake and possibly sink their own ship for your luxury cause which  isn't likely to happen. I do expect by the 2nd-3rd gen of VR to have plenty of refinements made and being produced at a cheaper price than the original public models, time has proven this with a myriad of technologies and it will do the same for VR provided enough are interested in it and they will be because expensive drives, monitors, keyboards and all sorts of trimmings in the PC sector are well and truly alive and being sold which proves that enough people out there are still willing to pay a premium, especially for those sports cars in the car industry, someone is always going to want to/not mind paying premium for something and even for collector editions too which are also deemed over expensive.

Also I highly doubt anyone here was going to grab the OR anyway because it was mentioned before by the likes of Nvidia that you had requirements to meet and well no one on this site turned up to our main PC thread when we were talking about comparing new builds (which we were going to present to you all as a means to get into PC custom builds) which would have benefitted or put most of you off in the end anyway (which is why I gave up hope and stopped contributing because why waste time?). If anything most on here that are into VR are and always were geared towards PSVR, once Vive's price tag comes out we will egt a note for note repeat of what we've seen here today, I guarantee it.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

599USD... 599USD... 599USD... 599USD... 599USD....

XD.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Chevinator123 said:
I dont get it. Why is it so expensive? I mean its just a screen, a hunk of plastic and a HDMI socket??

Facebook needs to make its 2 billion dollar investment back. They are right that they aren't making money.

Chazore said:
QUAKECore89 said:

Nailed it.

Just like old days, when PS3 20GB-60GB came out, we couldn't afford it(or deal breaker due to storage) until PS3 slim 120GB-250GB came out 3 years later for just the price tag. Same goes SSD.

Well, seems like Facebook just handed Sony the majority of this market, just like MS did when they announced $499 and mandatory Kinect. Now, we have $599 and mandatory remote, X1 controller, and 2 games. Sony has all the advantages, now. Price, ease of use, momentum, and games.

I highly doubt the PSVR is going to be over $399. Personally, I'm thinking they may try to sell at a slight loss, making money back with SW sales, and sell it for $299-$349. The PSVR is also going to be MUCH easier for the mainstream to operate, since all you need is the PS4 and the VR headset (and Move if you want to play with motion controls.) Plug her in and you're good to go. For the Rift, gamers need to first check that their PCs are powerful enough to run it. And considering most gamers on Steam have weaker PCs than the PS4, that won't be many, so that's a $300+ card you would have to buy. There's also the fact they have to buy motion controls whenever they launch, so maybe another $100+ dollars to play it the way it's meant to be. Sony, on the other hand, already have a cheap motion control solution available, today. In fact, I already have everything I would need to play when PS VR arrives.

Sony can also piggyback on the huge success that is the PS4. I could see a PS4+VR bundle for $599, with a smaller VR game (or Demo disc), just to drive the price difference home. Of course, one of the biggest advantage will be games. Sony has some top notch studios, with many of their own titles in development for VR. There are also quite a few new titles from 3rd parties, as well as some current titles announcing that they will/could add VR support at a later date.

Not saying the PSVR will be an instant success and sell tens of millions, but it definitely seems like it's going to rule the VR roost.