By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Oculus Rift.. $599 US - Ships in March.. UDPATE: Now MAY

Better make highest quality games library for this device...

Around the Network
GamechaserBE said:
mizzou_guy said:

Excuse me, but having tried both the Morpheus and Rift at the 2015 E3, I can tell you that the Morpheus has a better quality screen.  So, if Sony can release their VR set at a cheaper selling price, Rift will not be a better buy.  Also, how is "Rift has always been a better quality for its price" a thing if it was just priced today and never even been released?

You can tell me what you want, even that you live on the moon ^^'

One figure we can be fairly certain of is the Oculus Rift’s resolution – the consumer model is set to run at 2160 x 1200. That’s one display, split across both eyes, and equates to a per-eye resolution of 1080 x 1200.

This was revealed in a blog post by Oculus’s chief architect, Atman Binstock, and can be assumed to be fairly accurate. It is, however, subject to change, and could be scaled up closer to the Rift’s launch.

While there are currently no available specs for the HTC Vive’s finished model, the developer edition is also listed with a resolution of 1080 x 1200 pixels per eye. As this is only a preliminary dev kit, this could conceivably receive an upgrade for the consumer version, but it’s equally possible that this will be the device’s final display.

PlayStation VR is currently trailing a little behind the pack on display, with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, also divided between both eyes. In practise, this gives it a resolution of 960 x 1080 for each eye, which is less than both of its main competitors. This is something that we expect will improve substantially prior to the device’s market debut.

While those specs are correct, it seems that CV1 still uses PenTile displays, while PSVR uses RGB...people say this is why PSVR looks better, but since all my VR experience comes from DK2 (which has terrible screen door effect), I can't really say which one is better.

kitler53 said:
i'll say this,..

VR doesn't market well. every video i've seen does little to convince me that VR is an experience worth buying. all i have is statements from other people that actually have used VR that i should trust them that the experience is amazing but isn't properly conveyed though conventional media. ..but it's kind of hard to trust someone i don't know, especially because these guys are mostly tech enthusiasts in general.

now add in the fact the list of supported games isn't that long so far and i come to this conclusion: $600 is too much to pay for something based only on hype and promises. i'll wait at least until i can try one in real life because $600 is too much to buy something on a whim.

I honestly think it can't be conveyed in any other way than actually trying it...from my limited experience, so far, I've seen all people, gamers or non-gamers hooked on it after trying only few demoes.

As for price, I know some folks who are willing to shell that kind of money so they can immerse themselves in just one game (Elite or iRacing)...for me, no matter how much I like the experience, $600 is just too much.

Begun the VR wars have, lost has the Rift.

Well I guess that's it for PC VR then, better pack my bags and sell my rig lol, definitely no hope of any sort at all for PC VR right?. Nah it's as good as dead.

Altogether now:

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

$599? Are they crazy? o.O This thing is going to be the ultimate flop with this price...

Around the Network
Chazore said:

Well I guess that's it for PC VR then, better pack my bags and sell my rig lol, definitely no hope of any sort at all for PC VR right?. Nah it's as good as dead.

Altogether now:

QUAKECore89 said:
Chazore said:

Altogether now:

Not my thing?

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Chazore said:
QUAKECore89 said:

Not my thing?

I wonder how much Playstation VR or HTC is going to be....

Chazore said:

Altogether now:

The saveing grace/hope for PC VR right now lays with the Vive in my opinion.
Vive has Valve, and a better VR headset than the Rift in all area's.

If you want a sure bet though, for great gameing content, the safe bet is the PS VR.

Chances of that falling flat on its face, are much lower.

QUAKECore89 said:

I wonder how much Playstation VR or HTC is going to be....

Dunno but I can't imagine either being worth a few pennies like some are making them out to be.

JRPGfan said:

The saveing grace/hope for PC VR right now lays with the Vive in my opinion.
Vive has Valve, and a better VR headset than the Rift in all area's.

If you want a sure bet though, for great gameing content, the safe bet is the PS VR.

Chances of that falling flat on its face, are much lower.

I don't think there is any saving grace, with the way people see this, others are likely to sttach a stigma to this. Sure there will be enthusiasts that buy the OR or Vive like they do their mice, keyboards, GPU's, monitors etc but this supposed "casual/general" crowd, I don't even know where they are going to stand ebcause in all honesty on PC those folk are people that buy pre-built desktops and those that build their own custom rigs aren't casual folk.

I feel there will be a good amount of games on both tbh along with advances made with Vive and maybe some with OR along with a another possible VR device in the future.

To the common folk or those ionto consoles I can never see them getting into Vive or OR let alone a custom rig so it honestly shouldn't matter at all, those that are more invested with their PS4 will get PSVR regardless. I just don't see the point in "VR wars" let alone arguing on a site that's egared up to see the death of another plats version of VR whcihw as why I made my jest post because I cba anymore.