By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Exec confirms 1 million for Rise of the Tomb Raider = sold through to consumers.

Shots fired indeed... 41 16.40%

BOO! XBOX SUCKS! 114 45.60%

Guess that'll shut up th... 95 38.00%

Total:250
IamAwsome said:
TheSting said:
-Ack!- said:

Attachment rates don't go hand in hand with the console sales, remember that. Also when comparing TR and RotTR sales you have to remember how both PS3 & 360 software sales plummeted in 2014 & 2015 due to the introduction of the 8th generation consoles. Naturally TR could have sold much better under "normal" conditions.

Anyways imo the exclusivity deal is stupid if the majority of the fanbase is on the other console, Tomb Raider started with Playstation and that's the bottom line...

And now to grab my popcorn...

Started with Saturn PS and Windows. You left that out

And then Sony moneyhatted the game when the majority of the fanbase was still on those platforms. 

Whoosh

So by "moneyhatted" you mean Eidos published the game on PS and Windows, and dropped development on the Saturn platform that was no longer being supported by Sega. Last I checked the term "moneyhatting" refers to a console maker paying for exclusivity. There is no evidence of this.

On top of that, Tomb Raider IV was back on the dreamcast. I guess Sony's check bounced?

Around the Network

How was Tomb Raider 2 exclusive? It came out on PS1 and PC on release and on Mac a couple months after the fact.

1 million still isn't that much for a AAA title in over two months. Look at the Uncharted remasters and Halo 5. They are both over 3 million now! And that's even the weakest selling Halo game in the franchise so far and Uncharted is, well, some remasters.

potato_hamster said:
IamAwsome said:

And then Sony moneyhatted the game when the majority of the fanbase was still on those platforms. 

Whoosh

So by "moneyhatted" you mean Eidos published the game on PS and Windows, and dropped development on the Saturn platform that was no longer being supported by Sega. Last I checked the term "moneyhatting" refers to a console maker paying for exclusivity. There is no evidence of this.

On top of that, Tomb Raider IV was back on the dreamcast. I guess Sony's check bounced?

Dated 9/18/97. The deal was likely in the works long before this, and the Saturn wasn't completely dead at the time the deal was negotiated. 

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Sony+Computer+Entertainment+America+Signs+Exclusive+Deal+with+Eidos...-a019760956

Business Wire said: 

Sony Computer Entertainment America announced today that the Tomb Raider(TM) franchise, featuring leading character Lara Croft, will be exclusive to the PlayStation(TM) for game consoles.

Released in November 1996, the original Tomb Raider game from Eidos Interactive and Core Design, was one of the best-selling videogames of all time with more than 1.5 million units sold for the PlayStation game console worldwide. Marking its one-year anniversary with a highly-anticipated sequel, Tomb Raider 2 is scheduled for release in November 1997.

The deal was specific to NA and it expired in 00/01. That is why TR II/III never left the PS1, and the Dreamcast version of TR IV launched over a year after the PS1 version in NA while they launched on the same day in Japan and Europe. 

IamAwsome said:
potato_hamster said:
IamAwsome said:

Whoosh

Dated 9/18/97. The deal was likely in the works long before this, and the Saturn wasn't completely dead at the time the deal was negotiated. 

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Sony+Computer+Entertainment+America+Signs+Exclusive+Deal+with+Eidos...-a019760956

Business Wire said: 

Sony Computer Entertainment America announced today that the Tomb Raider(TM) franchise, featuring leading character Lara Croft, will be exclusive to the PlayStation(TM) for game consoles.

Released in November 1996, the original Tomb Raider game from Eidos Interactive and Core Design, was one of the best-selling videogames of all time with more than 1.5 million units sold for the PlayStation game console worldwide. Marking its one-year anniversary with a highly-anticipated sequel, Tomb Raider 2 is scheduled for release in November 1997.

The deal was specific to NA and it expired in 00/01. That is why TR II/III never left the PS1, and the Dreamcast version of TR IV launched over a year after the PS1 version in NA while they launched on the same day in Japan and Europe. 

Fair enough. My bad. TR 2 and 3 probably would have been on the Dreamcast if not for this deal, but then again, Sega might not have recouped its development costs based on poor sales of the dreamcast.

Still, the Saturn had sold about 6.5 million by the end of 1996, and only sold another 2 million units in the next 3 years. I'd argue the Saturn was dead at that by the end of 1997, selling next to nothing after that point, but I'll admit it's debatable.

Around the Network
AEGRO said:
Fear_Me_All said:
Seem the free copy in the new xbox1 console, help boost by 60% those sale.

I grabbed Rise of the Tomb Raider from an Amazon Holiday promotion. 

I bought the Xbox One for 350$ + a Free game (i chose COD because TR wasnt out yet) + 50$ Gift Card (which i used to buy TR adding 10 bucks).

I should have waited a couple of weeks tho, the game dropped to 40 bucks super fast.

Or any game that came out during November since they all dropped super fast. Deals galore right? 

Zoombael said:

AsGryffynn said:

The platform with 6 times more gamers? Of course it'd sell more. DO NOT COMPARE CURRENT TO LAST GEN GAME SALES. Just don't.

PS3 has 6 times more gamers than X1 and X360 combined? Source pls. Besides, even that niche game Bloodborne did better. Over one million in under a month. One plattform.

It doesn't matter how you spin it, it didn't do MS any good and certainly doesn't help the X1 in the long term.

Well, I was referring to only the XONE, but in regards to the original comment, if the 81M PS3 sold 3 million in 5 weeks, how is it a fair comparison to say the 20M XONE sold bad by selling only one third of that number in the same time frame? And if it was only half the units sold, and XONE RotTR sold only 500,000 units, then we have one sixth of PS3 sales. With over 4 times those consoles on the market, it's obvious the PS3 outsells the XONE with ease... and I am not delving on how last gen had higher physical attach rates... or how these all contributed to expectations way higher than the current ones...

d21lewis said:
Zoombael said:

PS3 has 6 times more gamers than X1 and X360 combined? Source pls. Besides, even that niche game Bloodborne did better. Over one million in under a month. One plattform.

It doesn't matter how you spin it, it didn't do MS any good and certainly doesn't help the X1 in the long term.

If I recall correctly, somebody said the last game sold like 3 million on PS3 alone, compared to (i assume )only Xbox One. I'm actually busy at work and can't check right now but that's the argument.

Bloodborne did great but all games aren't going to sell equally. Ps4 owners wanted bb more than XB1 owners wanted RotR. It didn't do any huge favors but it also doesn't hurt.

This...

1 million is worse than I thought. Tomb Raider was big in Europe. The fact that these number more than likely includes console bundles, Xbox One and Xbox 360 is quite telling. I just hope Eidos can rebound.

It quite endeering how positive Sony is being regarding Tomb Raider.

1 million for huge marketed flagship titles like tomb raider, forza, halo and gears during the holiday season is kinda underwhelming.

Seems like first party games isn't such a big deal these days with such low sales but huge sales for big third party games. Sony seems to be aware of this as they've been pushing third party for most of the gen as opposed to a big push for first party.

Makes sense as those sell way more as a rule, save for uncharted, God of war and gran turismo which usually sell millions per installment are sony's biggest ips. 

Now Tomb Raider was a huge marketed flagship? A while ago i read MS didn't even bother marketing it. Well anyway, over 1m for RotTR isn't underwhelming at all, it's ok sales so far. Most of us thought it did worse. Great news indeed 😊