By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Monolith surpassed Retro Studio as new Nintendo elite studio?

Wich one?

I prefer Monolith 232 52.02%

I prefer Retro Studio 214 47.98%

Total:446
Alkibiádēs said:

I bought Xenoblade Chronicles, which I loved, it's my favorite Wii game even, but I really don't like Xenoblade Chronicles X and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Retro would never make a game that runs in 320p (or whatever it was) in handheld mode. And the game doesn't even look good to begin with.

Retro Studios is a far more capable developer, the reason the poll is so close is because the following reasons:

- There are still people that are butt-hurt that they developed a 2D platformer instead of another Metroid
- They haven't released a game since February 2014 and people forget very quickly.

There's no doubt in my mind that Retro's upcoming game will be far better than Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Whoever play Xenoblade in portable mode miss the game. Xenoblade games are home console games, like 3D Zelda games, they are far superior on a TV. Xenoblade 2 is absolutely gorgeous, beautiful. Art will always be superior to technical prowess, always.

Monolith is doing these beautiful, magical, handcrafted landscape that illuminate player's eyes. And it's a blast to play.

It has been 9 years since they released a game that was not a 2D platformers and some people think that they can't do another Metroid Prime games because the director and several other leads left. That's puzzling that they are not the one doing MP4.

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:

I bought Xenoblade Chronicles, which I loved, it's my favorite Wii game even, but I really don't like Xenoblade Chronicles X and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Retro would never make a game that runs in 320p (or whatever it was) in handheld mode. And the game doesn't even look good to begin with.

Retro Studios is a far more capable developer, the reason the poll is so close is because the following reasons:

- There are still people that are butt-hurt that they developed a 2D platformer instead of another Metroid
- They haven't released a game since February 2014 and people forget very quickly.

There's no doubt in my mind that Retro's upcoming game will be far better than Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

God forbit people to think that Monolith is better simply because they think they make better games or games that appeal more to them.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

tag

Lucas-Rio said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Whoever play Xenoblade in portable mode miss the game. Xenoblade games are home console games, like 3D Zelda games, they are far superior on a TV. Xenoblade 2 is absolutely gorgeous, beautiful. Art will always be superior to technical prowess, always.

Monolith is doing these beautiful, magical, handcrafted landscape that illuminate player's eyes. And it's a blast to play.

It has been 9 years since they released a game that was not a 2D platformers and some people think that they can't do another Metroid Prime games because the director and several other leads left. That's puzzling that they are not the one doing MP4.

Breath of the Wild looks far better on the handheld screen than on a big TV, I tried both and the difference was quite big. 

So there goes your argument. 

So what if the director and others left? You know what Studio these guys formed?

This one: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armature_Studio

All the games they made have been received poorly by critics and fans alike. 

2D or 3D doesn't matter, Retro excels in everything. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:

Breath of the Wild looks far better on the handheld screen than on a big TV, I tried both and the difference was quite big. 

So what if the director and others left? You know what Studio these guys formed?

This one: 

Breath of the Wild is a home console game, like Xenoblade 2. Both are meant to be played on a large screen, with full comfort in order to get the maximum of the game, its viuals and its ambiance. Xenoblade 2 exist in portable mode because it is Nintendo Switch, but it is not meant to be played that way. It's a home console game that should be played on TV and it's gorgeous with its artsyle.

I know that the new studio of the former Retro Studio executive had not been a success, but it can't be linked to their quality as a developper. Starting up their own company and studio is a hard task, you need to get customers, to pay salaries, they probably have little budget and are contracted for ports and others. The Metroid Prime lead left, but there are still other people from this team.

Retro did excel with Metroid Prime and with 2D platformer. Not "everything". Now they need to show us they can't do another game which is not a 2D platformer.

Around the Network

Inteligent systems is top no contest. They have been with ninty since the start: they made paper mario advanced wars and fire emblem.

Not to downplay Monolith or Retro but i prefer Intelligent Systems too.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Would Intelligent Systems count if Nintendo don't own them? Although yes, they might as well be. I suppose when all they do is Nintendo's 1st party IP's, yeah, they would. Although definitely not saying that they are Nintendo's elite studio.

Last edited by Green098 - on 14 January 2018

Alkibiádēs said:
Lucas-Rio said:

This one: 

It's funny because Monolith Soft worked on Breath of the Wild.

Despite really loving all the Nintendo games Monolith has put out (from Baten Kaitos to Xenoblade 2)

I don't really think Monolith has performed at the level of Retro Studios. Their games are still just a bit too clunky to hold in the same league as Retro.

Between Metroid Primes and Donkey Kong Country Returns's's's.....Retro has a sterling track record.

The most important thing is the fact that these two quality developers are 2nd party's to the goshdang marverlous Switch.