By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Monolith surpassed Retro Studio as new Nintendo elite studio?

Wich one?

I prefer Monolith 232 52.02%

I prefer Retro Studio 214 47.98%

Total:446

Retro have yet to do anything to wow me the way Monolithsoft have this decade, so it's an easy win for Monolithsoft in my opinion. Hopefully Retro can get moving soon. I mean Monolithsoft are all ready onto their next project which I'm really excited for.

Around the Network

I am more inclined to go with MonolithSoft because I am more of an Action RPG and Action Adventure type of player (I also absolutely adored Xenoblade Chronicles X; and I also like Xenoblade Chronicles and Chronicles 2). With that being said though, my opinion could shift depending on what Retro is working on.

Monolith Soft for me has a richer history starting from Tetsuya Takahashi and his time at Square.

"tropical freeze" was the best platformer the Wii U had..... so Im inclinded to say no.

They are able to make platformers that rival good Mario Ones, which is impressive.
Monolith do make great rpgs though, but I still think Retro Studio takes the crown.

I bought Xenoblade Chronicles, which I loved, it's my favorite Wii game even, but I really don't like Xenoblade Chronicles X and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Retro would never make a game that runs in 320p (or whatever it was) in handheld mode. And the game doesn't even look good to begin with.

Retro Studios is a far more capable developer, the reason the poll is so close is because the following reasons:

- There are still people that are butt-hurt that they developed a 2D platformer instead of another Metroid
- They haven't released a game since February 2014 and people forget very quickly.

There's no doubt in my mind that Retro's upcoming game will be far better than Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network

It's not difficult to be better than a developer that hasn't released a game in YEARS.

PAOerfulone said:

For me. Yes.
Never really cared for the Metroid Prime games (beat the first one, stopped midway through the 2nd, haven't even tried the third). And while I enjoyed the DKC Returns games grratly, they do not even hold a candle to the Xenoblade games for me.

The same for me but just reversed. I dont care for xenoblade the series itself. Its like i would watch an anime. And i hate animes. 

We'll see when Retro announces its new project.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

HintHRO said:
It's not difficult to be better than a developer that hasn't released a game in YEARS.

4 years is quite a normal development time for big games. 

Why are people acting like it's been such a long time?

Super Mario Odyssey must have started development right after Super Mario 3D World = 4 years of development

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild = 5+ years of development

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

freebs2 said:

The fact people weren't expecting or asking for another 2D paltform is due to Nintendo's fault who didn't properly plan a diverse lineup and released just a plethora of 2D paltforms at the same time (all of them were btw much less ambitious both technically and from a design point of view than DKCTF).

From a development and financial standpoint it makes perfect sense to make a sequel to a critically acclaimed and commercially successfull game like DKCR.

Also what is particulary more ambitious form a company specialized un jRPGs in making jRPGs? The only real difference I see here is that while there are plenty of competent 2D platforms in the market, for jRPGs there's more demand than offering.

From a financial point of view it made sense, since DKCR sold 6 millions. But let's be honest, making a sequel of a 2D platformer was not very ambitious, even if the game turned to be great. They are now essentially seen as a 2D paltformer developper.

And people don't dream of them doing another Donkey Kong game.