By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New NX details from Ubisoft dev; portable device will launch first (rumor)

Is it real?

Yes 84 27.18%

No 111 35.92%

John Cena in Smash is realer! 114 36.89%

Total:309
curl-6 said:

Starfox Zero and Twilight Princess HD require minimal investment from Nintendo as Platinum/Tantalus can do the heavy lifting and the games have low production values to begin with, while there has been no indication that Pikmin 4 is a Wii U game.

The bulk of Nintendo's development resources have been shifted from Wii U to NX, that much is clear at this point. If there were still major games to come for the Wii U, we wouldn't have gone 18 months without any being announced.

It sucks, but it's the harsh reality.

You are speculating curl. You have no idea. The games are stated as co-developed. Co means cooperative. Not i give you all and you do it. If that was the case Nintendo wouldnt be credited as the developer aswell as publisher. Theres games beeing developed by Nintendo internally for the WIi U.

So by resources you mean a part of the resources. We have no way to quantify. Are they shifting? Yeah i believe they are. But i also believe that the dream that they will have a slew of new titles ready for this year ona new home console is in the realm of the fantastic. Games development isnt easy and takes time.

A new system needs engines aswell, something that further makes it unlikely that anything would be ready for a next-gen home console this year.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Starfox Zero and Twilight Princess HD require minimal investment from Nintendo as Platinum/Tantalus can do the heavy lifting and the games have low production values to begin with, while there has been no indication that Pikmin 4 is a Wii U game.

The bulk of Nintendo's development resources have been shifted from Wii U to NX, that much is clear at this point. If there were still major games to come for the Wii U, we wouldn't have gone 18 months without any being announced.

It sucks, but it's the harsh reality.

Especially TP HD, at most that's like a few guys supervising for quality control purposes.

TP HD is a joke. Nintendo couldn't even bother to give it to the Japanese team that did Wind Waker HD, instead it's nothing but a direct upscale in resolution done by some American studio. It's about as low priority of a project as you can get at Nintendo. 

Soundwave said:

Even logistically though even if we grant you your own time line, it still doesn't make sense. Lets say portable NX in late 2016, and console NX or whatever in 2017 ... game development for these platforms would still have to be well underway right now, and it can't be just half-assed "secondary" support either, Nintendo needs to prioritize the new platforms with their higher end projects otherwise those systems will not sell well out of the gate and their business is fucked for the next 5 years. 

If we assume a 24 month average dev cycle for most Nintendo games ... there simply isn't room for very much Wii U support in this equation. 

Not only do their next-gen handheld projects need to be in development (like deeeep into development)*right now*, their next-gen 2017 console projects also need to be starting development right now. 

Do you think Nintendo can supply software for 3 different systems simulatenously with the lowest end system having maybe Vita-XBox 360 graphics? 

Like I'm just doing the math here and it just doesn't equal out. They ditched the Wii U a while ago IMO, it's no great mystery why they haven't had anything new to show on the Wii U. Also why can they show Twlight Princess HD and Pokken Tournament but not all these other amazing 1st party exclusive Wii U projects? Like what does Iwata's passing have to do with that? They're so grief striken that they can only cut trailers for farmed out games?

And where did i say development wasnt under way? What i say is that your time table on a next-gen home console releasing later this year is foolhardy at best.

Wii U support will keep going this year and will most likely slowly die out in the next. Is this a surprise? Thats what is normal to happen. Also, stop assuming Nintendo is a powerhouse that can develop multiple HD titles in the same year without external help, because they arent. They are big, but they don't make miracles. 8 games at best with external help. 4 already announced for the Wii U, one other rumored. The writing is in the walls. Just remember how it was back on the Wii to Wii U transition. They don't grow games and development teams in trees.

Thunderbird77 said:
CaptainExplosion said:
zorg1000 said:

If ur just going to ignore what I said than don't reply to me.

I already gave u 3 examples of devices releasing within 4 years of their predecessor and being successful. Genesis, Nintendo DS, Xbox 360 all released within 4 years of their predecessors and went on to be the most successful devices that Sega, Nintendo, Microsoft have released yet.

Genesis was on the market for 6 years yet Saturn failed, PS2 was on the market for 6 years yet PS3 saw a big drop, Wii was on the market for 6 years yet Wii U failed. It's not the timeframe that's important, it's how the company handles and executes the next device.

But how can we be sure Nintendo executes it the right way?

Furthermore, if it comes out in 2016 instead of 2017, the PS5 and fourth Xbox will come out 2 or 3 years later, and the NX will be crushed. >_<

Why would sony and ms wait so long to release their 9 gen systems if nintendo releases theirs in 2016? They would be the ones getting crushed by being so late.

Considering the PS4 will be at the top of its popularity and the XBone will still have a relatively strong year, the NX won't crush anyone, no matter if it releases in 2016 or 2017. Only a Wii miracle could do that, and even then, the PS4 would still survive that.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Nem said:
Soundwave said:

Even logistically though even if we grant you your own time line, it still doesn't make sense. Lets say portable NX in late 2016, and console NX or whatever in 2017 ... game development for these platforms would still have to be well underway right now, and it can't be just half-assed "secondary" support either, Nintendo needs to prioritize the new platforms with their higher end projects otherwise those systems will not sell well out of the gate and their business is fucked for the next 5 years. 

If we assume a 24 month average dev cycle for most Nintendo games ... there simply isn't room for very much Wii U support in this equation. 

Not only do their next-gen handheld projects need to be in development (like deeeep into development)*right now*, their next-gen 2017 console projects also need to be starting development right now. 

Do you think Nintendo can supply software for 3 different systems simulatenously with the lowest end system having maybe Vita-XBox 360 graphics? 

Like I'm just doing the math here and it just doesn't equal out. They ditched the Wii U a while ago IMO, it's no great mystery why they haven't had anything new to show on the Wii U. Also why can they show Twlight Princess HD and Pokken Tournament but not all these other amazing 1st party exclusive Wii U projects? Like what does Iwata's passing have to do with that? They're so grief striken that they can only cut trailers for farmed out games?

And where did i say development wasnt under way? What i say is that your time table on a next-gen home console releasing later this year is foolhardy at best.

Wii U support will keep going this year and will most likely slowly die out in the next. Is this a surprise? Thats what is normal to happen. Also, stop assuming Nintendo is a powerhouse that can develop multiple HD titles in the same year without external help, because they arent. They are big, but they don't make miracles. 8 games at best with external help. 4 already announced for the Wii U, one other rumored. The writing is in the walls. Just remember how it was back on the Wii to Wii U transition. They don't grow games and development teams in trees.

If the main Nintendo teams are working on NX projects, and they would have to be to ensure a good launch + good first 18 months on the market (which is crucial) they can't be working on Wii U projects. 

To me it's really that simple. The moment NX projects start rolling at the major Nintendo dev teams, is the moment the Wii U effectively becomes a second class citizen in the Nintendo-sphere. It got its Mario Kart, Smash, Mario 3D World, Bayonetta, and Splatoon, time to be happy with that and accept that the rest of the cycle will be lower-tier farmed out spin-offs/side projects. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Nem said:

If the main Nintendo teams are working on NX projects, and they would have to be to ensure a good launch + good first 18 months on the market (which is crucial) they can't be working on Wii U projects. 

To me it's really that simple. The moment NX projects start rolling at the major Nintendo dev teams, is the moment the Wii U effectively becomes a second class citizen in the Nintendo-sphere. It got its Mario Kart, Smash, Mario 3D World, Bayonetta, and Splatoon, time to be happy with that and accept that the rest of the cycle will be lower-tier farmed out spin-offs/side projects. 

I'm starting to wonder what you mean by "main". If by  main you mean, 3D mario team, mario Kart tema and retro are working on projects for new systems. Yes, i find that likely, though obviously theres no certainty. So, i am not really contradicting that.

Are there team that have ongoing Wii U projects or co-developed projects in the works for the Wii U? I'm pretty sure there still are.

I do agree, the moment a new home console is starting up, the Wii U wont see many more releases. This is what i just said. Its repetition here. But, no i don't think a next-gen console is coming out later this year. Very, very unprobable.

Nem said:

Seriously... game development doesnt happen in 12 months. It's the product of alot of planning. It doesnt go away from one moment to the other. It occurs slowly and progressively.

Once again let's ignore the guy who listed games that could very well release in 2017 for NX.

Explain to me how Hal Labs released 4 Kirby titles for 4 different platforms in the span of 3.5 years but can't develop 1 game for NX in 2-2.5 years.

Explain to me how EAD Group 2 released 10 games on 4 different platforms over the course of 10 years but can't develop 1 game for NX in 2-2.5 years.

Explain to me how Monster Games has released a new game roughly every 2 years since 2006 but can't develop 1 game for NX in 2-2.5 years.

Explain to me how ND Cube released 8 games for 4 different platforms from 2011-2015 but can't develop 1 game for NX in 2-2.5 years.

Explain to me how EAD Tokyo released 6 games on 3 platforms in 7 years but can't develop 1 game for NX in 2-3 years.

Explain to me how EAD Group 1 released 6 games on 4 platforms in 9 years but can't develop 1 game for NX in 3-3.5 years.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Darwinianevolution said:

Considering the PS4 will be at the top of its popularity and the XBone will still have a relatively strong year, the NX won't crush anyone, no matter if it releases in 2016 or 2017. Only a Wii miracle could do that, and even then, the PS4 would still survive that.

He's right though PS2 was at the top of it's popularity when 360 was arriving, new hardware no matter what has to be respected for reference the PS1 arrived at the height of the SNES' popularity but was able to establish itself well because the N64 didn't arrive two years after it launched. Neither Sony nor MS want to leave it too late as a successful PS4 doesn't matter to the NX when it's geared towards being around after the PS4 and X1 has passed, they don't want NX to establish itself well enough that launching the X4 and PS5 becomes a problem.

Nem said:
Soundwave said:
Nem said:

I'm starting to wonder what you mean by "main". If by  main you mean, 3D mario team, mario Kart tema and retro are working on projects for new systems. Yes, i find that likely, though obviously theres no certainty. So, i am not really contradicting that.

Are there team that have ongoing Wii U projects or co-developed projects in the works for the Wii U? I'm pretty sure there still are.

I do agree, the moment a new home console is starting up, the Wii U wont see many more releases. This is what i just said. Its repetition here. But, no i don't think a next-gen console is coming out later this year. Very, very unprobable.

Yeah but that's the thing, even if console was coming out in 2017, development has to be underway. We're already into 2016, their main dev teams cannot be stuck working on Wii U project, because that means they won't be finished until what? Mid-2016 at the earliest? That means those teams cannot give you NX console product until 2018, maybe even 2019 at the earliest. 

And portable has be waaaaaaay underway. 

Portable games don't magically make themselves, they will probably require the same resources as any Wii U game going forward. 

I just don't see how they can have very much Wii U product in the pipeline, they just don't have the man power.

To make a portable launch window in late 2016, that means IMO the majority of Nintendo's big dev teams have been working on that platform probably since 2014 actually. Which means those teams (Retro, EAD Tokyo, Animal Crossing team, Sakamoto's SPD group, etc most likely), in fact must be well over half way finished their launch portable titles *right now*.  

And then you would have to *on top of this* have console NX projects starting roughly about last fall (no way you can make fall 2017 otherwise). There's just no way Wii U fits into this equation in any serious way. Maybe it will get a couple of projects and they gut it out and finish Zelda for it (which IMO will be multi-plat) ... but that's about it. 

Things like Twilight Princess HD and Pokken Tournament are just there to pad out the stretch before Nintendo completely abandons the thing. 

Darwinianevolution said:
Thunderbird77 said:

Why would sony and ms wait so long to release their 9 gen systems if nintendo releases theirs in 2016? They would be the ones getting crushed by being so late.

I'm talking about ps5 and xbox ??? getting crushed for launching so much later than it's competitor. If NX is a home console it can eat marketshare from the previous gen systems, a miracle isn't required for that (and wii was no miracle).