By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 Hardware Emulation Add-On

Would you buy Add-ons to allow full, true BC on PS4?

Hell yeah! 39 53.42%

No, I'm a hater 34 46.58%

Total:73

Bear with me here.

So the PSVR will necessitate an add-on to the PS4 for extra processing power, right? This is due to the x86 architecture allowing for such an add-on to happen. 

Well, say they make numerous add-ons like this. Like maybe, I dunno, an external disc drive with Emotion Engine built into it. Or hell, even just a little jump pack that adds it in. With the proper coding, this could lead to disc-based PS2 emulation without shoving it down everyone's throats ala PS3 launch.

But it wouldn't stop there. Who's to say we couldn't also have a Cell Jumper? Plug it in and BAM. PS3 disc-based emulation. Or a PS1 Jumper? Hell, there could even be a UMD Jumper.

Think about it: Buy a PS4 ($350). Buy a PS1 Jumper ($50), a PS2 Jumper ($100), a UMD Jumper ($50), and a PS3 Jumper ($150). Get a Vita ($200) along with it and there would be no PlayStation game you couldn't play. $700 seems like a lot, but you also don't NEED any of this to play your PS4. Just open up an app on the PS4 and run a VM from the Jumper to load your games!

Has it been thought of? Probably. Do I care? NOT A CHANCE.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

The hardware in the PS4 can already handle PS1 and PS2 emulation. A PS3 add-on might interest some people, but it would hardly be a console seller, and they're already pushing PSNow (however weakly). An interesting idea though. I'd much rather a PS3 add-on over PSNow, although I honestly can't say there is any game on PS3 that I'd want to play at this point, except for Star Ocean 4 International--I just want the Japanese voices!

Sony, if you're reading this, do something new with The Legend of Dragoon. You will make me a happy man. Thanks.

I had a Sega CD back in 1993 so... if you give me a $99.99 add on that will physically play PS1, PS2 and PS3 games? I'm down.

I've already said I'd gladly pay a premium for hardware BC. I'd buy these add-ons if they were compact.

Honestly there are so many new games coming out, I could care less about backwards compatibility at this point.

Year 1 I would have purchased the option

Around the Network
Protendo said:
Honestly there are so many new games coming out, I could care less about backwards compatibility at this point.

You don't feel there's something you'd want to go back and play in between games? 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

I thought about this. Some kind of external hardware that would maybe have the PS3s cell inside that would allow BC.

but then i thought why the hell dont you just buy a PS3...lol

Azuren said:
Protendo said:

You don't feel there's something you'd want to go back and play in between games? 

Honestly...  I still have a working BC PS3 if I get the itch that can play everything. Even if I didn't the answer would be no. There is only so much time available to play games, and the new games on the "Horizon" take priority.

Personally, I wouldn't mind spending extra if it means I can play older titles on the current console, I just like being as convenient as possible.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

I will throw huge amount of money for native backward compabilitu

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS