By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - First to reach 25 million console install base- PS3 or XBox 360?

i completely agree, and both the PS3 and 360 will surpass the Xbox and Gamecube with out question before the four year mark for each console

Around the Network

I am a Gemini- split personality. lol. Anyway now the first to 25 million consoles sold (install base) that is a fair contest.

My fellow PS3 fans are starting to get too cocky.

The PS3 will have to explode and put up Wii numbers to beat the 360 to 25m, or the 360 would have to just die.

360 will get there first.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

The 360 will definitely get there first. Come on folks, use some common sense!

360: 7.5m left to reach 25m
PS3: 14m left to reach 25m

To beat the 360, the PS3 would have to outsell it by a factor of 2:1. Even though the PS3 has been winning in weekly sales throughout 2008, it certainly hasn't been anywhere close to doubling 360 sales. Outselling the 360 by 30k weekly (150k to 120k) certainly isn't going to get it done.

Barring some seismic shift in the market, this has no chance of occuring.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

If the PS3 lowers its price it could do it .If it doesnt it wont ....maybe it will get to 30 million first then .

Around the Network

360... they would have to really screw up to stop that 35 million is the place where it could be up in the air

to qualify this statment, Id have to say that the percived slumping economy and the real falling dollar, could alter purchasing habits in the american market. so price drops and their realative speed in comning could determin who gets where first

america making up 60-55% of whole market and 75-77% of the 360 market, hopefully for the big M they can move more units  in europa to spread out that figure 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

I think that the 360 will no doubt get there first but the PS3 wont be far behind, i would think that when the 360 passes 25 Million the PS3 will be on about 21-22 :D

Rock_on_2008 said:
Easy man the PS3 will get there first the writing is on the wall. With lots of great games to be released in 2008 and the BLu-ray format win for the PS3, expect Sony to kick butt.

The 360 will likely hit 25 million by the end of 2008 or in early 2009.  The PS3 would have to sell 14 million units in 8-10 months to do that.  That's probably not going to happen.

Rock_on_2008 said:
Easy man the PS3 will get there first the writing is on the wall. With lots of great games to be released in 2008 and the BLu-ray format win for the PS3, expect Sony to kick butt.

WTF??

on topic: It will be the Xbox 360 to make it first, my sig indicates that, though according to my signature there is a very low possibility the PS3 can really take off which indicates the reason the wii is barely at 30M on my sig, and 360 below the PS3 by the end of the year. It really depends on the PS3. Therefore I think right now the 360 will make that mark with the PS3 about 1-2 million consoles behind.

mM

I haven't taken the time to crunch the numbers but it looks to me like the 360's current advantage is too great for the PS3 to eclipse the 360's install base that early. By the time the 360 hits 25 million, the PS3 will likely be closer to 20 million than 25.

The current advantage is at 6.72 million units for the 360, going by the numbers here on VG Chartz. The PS3 looks like it'll chip away a good chunk of that this year and I think the PS3 will be around 20 million sold by the end of the 2008 holiday season but that the 360 will likely be around 24 million by that time.

Of course, all of this is assuming that the PS3 maintains strong sales in America - not necessarily outselling the 360 here but at least keeping pace to some extent.

First to 30 or 35 million? Sure, that's entirely possible. First to 25 million? Not a chance.