By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Mario RPG Thread (Paper Jam poll is up!)

Where should Paper Jam be ranked?

1st 1 11.11%

2nd 0 0%

3rd 0 0%

4th 2 22.22%

5th 1 11.11%

6th 0 0%

7th 1 11.11%

8th 2 22.22%

9th 1 11.11%

10th 1 11.11%

Total:9

The best one is without a doubt Bowser Inside Story.Anyone saying otherwise is crazy!!!

To be honest, while i dont think my opinion will change, I still have to play Thousand Year Door.But i really loved Super Paper Mario and found it leagues better than Paper Mario, so dont think ill love the game

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

Alright, who the hell voted for Sticker Star?

leedlelee said:
My favorite Mario RPG has to be either Super Mario RPG or one of the first two Paper Mario games...
I'm crazy excited for Paper Jam...
I just recently finished Superstar Saga for the first time and am Maine my way through Partners in Time...
I also have to get my hands on Bowser's Inside Story...
Once I play that, I'll have played all the Mario RPG's...
I know this question wasn't asked, but if I had to pick a least favorite Mario RPG, it would be Super Paper Mario...

And mine would be PiT. I actually really enjoyed Super Paper Mario becasue of how unique it felt. The whole discovering new places as your able to rotate deminsions thing was fantastic and, in my opinion, it had the best story of any mario rpg I've played (all but two including Paper Jam).

Einsam_Delphin said:
10+ years later and Thousand Year Door is still my favorite with me revisiting it every so often. A testament to how great the game is, but also shows Nintendo's incompetence since there have been two more sequels since. Seriously how long am I gonna have to keep playing this game everytime I'm itching for some Paper Mario action. Ahwells, I still need to try a partners only run, and I say try because I'm honestly not sure if it's even possible, but that wont stop me!

The weird thing is they have intentionally not made a game like TTYD because they like to make each experience original. If you just play sticker star and super paper mario by themselves without thinking about what they could have been if they were like TTYD, you may find you enjoy their unique aspects like I did. I loved filling up that sticker museum lol.

AZWification said:

I've played pretty much all of them, minus Paper Jam. TTYD is not only my favorite Mario spin-off game of all time, but it's also in my top 5 games of all time! It's a shame the series is not doing that well nowadays..

1 Super Paper Mario Wii 2007 Platform Nintendo 1.97 0.85 0.59 0.31 3.71
2 Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door GC 2004 Role-Playing Nintendo 1.48 0.25 0.46 0.06 2.25
3 Paper Mario: Sticker Star 3DS 2012 Role-Playing Nintendo 1.10 0.35 0.63 0.12 2.20
4 Paper Mario N64 2000 Role-Playing Nintendo 0.58 0.18 0.59 0.02 1.38

Sales wise the last gen one was better than any of them. And Sticker Star, despite launching somewhat early in the 3ds life cycle (compared to the N64), still managed to move quite a few units. These games are extremely low budget graphically, so I'd imagine it doesn't take much to make profit off of them, let alone millions.

Around the Network
Cheddarchet said:
Dulfite said:

I agree on TTYD!!! And I found PiT to be the worst of all Mario RPG games I've played so far (which is all but 2).

Glad you like the thread! Hopefully it will have a nice long life!

I can't wait to see the next fully fledged Paper Mario game for a home console... so pumped!

As long as we get one, I'll be happy! Paper Jam is all well and good, but I'd definitely like another true Paper Mario game in the future. Preferably the near future. :P

And that seems to be the general consensus for PiT, so my expectations are a bit lower than usual. Still, anything to tide me over between games is a good thing, I suppose.

I'm sure we will. I suspect we will get one late in Wii U life (2016?) or early in NX life.

Nautilus said:
The best one is without a doubt Bowser Inside Story.Anyone saying otherwise is crazy!!!

To be honest, while i dont think my opinion will change, I still have to play Thousand Year Door.But i really loved Super Paper Mario and found it leagues better than Paper Mario, so dont think ill love the game

Wait until you play TTYD lol. It changes you...

That being said I found BiS to be the best ML game for sure.

Dulfite said:
AZWification said:

I've played pretty much all of them, minus Paper Jam. TTYD is not only my favorite Mario spin-off game of all time, but it's also in my top 5 games of all time! It's a shame the series is not doing that well nowadays..

1 Super Paper Mario Wii 2007 Platform Nintendo 1.97 0.85 0.59 0.31 3.71
2 Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door GC 2004 Role-Playing Nintendo 1.48 0.25 0.46 0.06 2.25
3 Paper Mario: Sticker Star 3DS 2012 Role-Playing Nintendo 1.10 0.35 0.63 0.12 2.20
4 Paper Mario N64 2000 Role-Playing Nintendo 0.58 0.18 0.59 0.02 1.38

Sales wise the last gen one was better than any of them. And Sticker Star, despite launching somewhat early in the 3ds life cycle (compared to the N64), still managed to move quite a few units. These games are extremely low budget graphically, so I'd imagine it doesn't take much to make profit off of them, let alone millions.

I was talking about Sticker Star and how it's not as good as the other games. Hopefully the next one will go back to the franchise's roots.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
Dulfite said:

I was talking about Sticker Star and how it's not as good as the other games. Hopefully the next one will go back to the franchise's roots.

Well combat wise they did kind of return to their roots in sticker star (being turn based) compared to Super Paper Mario. The stickers were a unique take, and one I'd not prefer in the future, but I did enjoy them because they made the game feel very unique. Unique games have far better replay value than games that are the same as every other game in that genre (whose going to go back and replay Grand Theft Auto 2, 3, and 4, when there is a 5th one out that does the exact same thing and looks better, for example?).

Dulfite said:
AZWification said:

Well combat wise they did kind of return to their roots in sticker star (being turn based) compared to Super Paper Mario. The stickers were a unique take, and one I'd not prefer in the future, but I did enjoy them because they made the game feel very unique. Unique games have far better replay value than games that are the same as every other game in that genre (whose going to go back and replay Grand Theft Auto 2, 3, and 4, when there is a 5th one out that does the exact same thing and looks better, for example?).

I didn't like how the stickers were, obviously, consumble. I'm a much bigger fan of how they handled the battle system in 64/TTYD. The lack of partners, badges, leveling up, good story, likeable characters are just the icing on the cake. I really liked how the game at first, it looked more like Paper Mario and there was even a Chain Chomp partner!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---