Eddie_Raja said:
grubbler said:
Eddie_Raja said:
grubbler said:
oculus already won the vr "war"
they got the mindshare
the exclusive content (that matters)
they got the headstart
they got several big players behind them (facebook, samsung and microsoft)
they will proably have the best value for price headset...

And zero games!    Also, keep in mind that the oculus has to actually launch for it to compete.

minecraft, rockband, eve, star citizen, project cars and some other, that does not matter

So again:

1) Saying they will support it is nice, but they actually have to do it which leads me to #2:

2) Let's say PSVR launches first with a actual support a full year before Oculus has any real support.  At this point PSVR has 120Hz OLED screens so it is arguably BETTER than oculus from a tech standpoint.  Why wouldn't these "Supporters" just switch to PSVR?

I don't get it sorry.  Their are tons of games that work with the oculus sure shovelware aswell or small games like Poker/Keep talking and nobody explodes but a lot of games are supported as Ark Survival/Elite Dangerous/minecraft/euro truck/fallout 3 and so on.... You can check some of them out here: http://www.twitch.tv/zimtok5 I occasionally pop up in that channel aswell.   And that is the issue with PSVR/Oculus for PSVR it all has to be officially supported on PC users can just make a mod for it.

Around the Network
twintail said:
Cloudman said:
Hmm, can't Oculus be used on PCs and other devices, as well as more uses than just games? Unless it ends up being super pricey, I think Oculus can be more successful than PSVR. You'd need a PS4 on top of that, and the primary focus would be on games.

You would need a pretty strong PC on top of owning an Occlus, most likely more than a PS4 costs atm.

and Sony has been talking about non-gaming apps for VR on PSVR ever since it was first announced. 

I see. I don't really know about the 2, so I can't really say much them. Which one is going to do better, seems like up in the air atm.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

market research has shown psvr currently has the highest amount of consumer awareness as well as the highest amount of purchase intent.

psvr should win in the 1st year sales i think. but if vr as a technology really takes off a more platform agnostic device like OR should have higher sales potential than a ps4 exclusive device like psvr meaning OR could win the long term sales.

kitler53 said:
market research has shown psvr currently has the highest amount of consumer awareness as well as the highest amount of purchase intent

Not much awareness difference between PSVR and Oculus Rift... half of the asked people aren't aware of either of them (probably not interested in VR at all), most of the rest seem to be aware of both products:

Google Trends paints a very different picture: https://www.google.de/trends/explore#q=psvr%2C%20playstation%20vr%2C%20playstation%20morpheus%2C%20project%20morpheus%2C%20oculus%20rift&cmpt=q&tz=Etc%2FGMT-1

kitler53 said:
market research has shown psvr currently has the highest amount of consumer awareness as well as the highest amount of purchase intent.

psvr should win in the 1st year sales i think. but if vr as a technology really takes off a more platform agnostic device like OR should have higher sales potential than a ps4 exclusive device like psvr meaning OR could win the long term sales.

Has it been confirmed it will be ps4 only? Regardless it be hacked to work with pc and from what i've seen psvr is the much better product.

Can't see either doing too well.

Around the Network
Eddie_Raja said:
Chazore said:

Well you ought to check them out sometime or at elast read beneath their name =P.

I honestly see OR and the likes of Vive getting the support they need, the past few years OR has been gaining ground and having devs come towards it, maybe not the type of devs some users on this forum credit as being cream of the crop of system enders but they are devs none the less. I'd rather they all pan out tbh since it means we get more choice than having just one device.

Honestly I just want all of them to be compatible with every game on PC.  That way if you want the ultra-high PC set-up you get OR, if you want PS gaming and excellent PC VR you get PSVR, and if you want budget VR on the PC you get a VIVE.

Budget? As in low budget?

The HTC Vive is going to be the most expensive of the three. The HMD itself and the hardware to handle it will exceed PSVR and OR combos and individually. Bet on it. However, it won't be the most costly. I guess this medal goes to StarVR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAxWMYfPr3o

PS VR will be more successful than OR and Vive, probably even with the two combined.

Main (intermeshed) reasons and counter arguments? It is the most versatile, homogenous and inexpensive. It isn't as much dependent as the others. It doesn't need an extra controller, since the DS4 is an integrate part in Sonys VR plan. An important input device that comes with every hardware unit.

To get a grasp to what i'm talking about:

https://youtu.be/_Su45ND3pDc?t=1494

The Vive concept revolves around the Lighthouse Tracking and its two dedicated controllers. Not sure if this will be all inclusive in the final product package. It would make sense, because many introduced game/software concepts are heavily dependent on this input method. This of course would raise the total price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA_PSZj1sCs

As the Vive so comes the Oculus Rift with built in headphones and micro. Additionally a standard Xbox One pad is attached to every OR.

PS VR doesn't have built in headphones/micro and a standard controller doesn't need to be included. Sony will keep the price for the individual unit as low as possible. It gives the consumer more options, not feeling forced to buy sth. he actually doesn't need. 

Playstation is an established brand. To rename Project Morpheus to Playstation Virtual Reality was the obvious and best choice. It sends out a clear unmistakable message. Sony is already doing a good job in marketing Playstation as a whole, and PS VR will undoubtetly profit. OR and Vive don't have much going on in comparison. Actually they should be the most active, because they have to share one plattform and are direct rivals.

Beside the support by Sony, the homogenous nature of a console gives developers some better notion how to handle their resources. A very important issue, since many devs are unexperienced in the VR subject. Also they don't have to put up with an overcrowded market. Opportunities opportunities...

Hunting Season is done...

betacon said:
kitler53 said:
market research has shown psvr currently has the highest amount of consumer awareness as weas the highest amount of purchase intent.

Has it been confirmed it will be ps4 only? Regardless it be hacked to work with pc and from what i've seen psvr is the much better product.

i don't understand why anyone thinks it is anything other than ps4 exclusive.  it requires a ps4 eye which has a non standard proprietary connection.  psvr is clearly ps4 exclusive.  even if hackers find a way to get it on pc the non official support means no more than a handful of hackers will ever actually use it on pc,.. it will never have wide spread pc usage. 

Conina said:
kitler53 said:
market research has shown psvr currently has the highest amount of consumer awareness as well as the highest amount of purchase intent

Not much awareness difference between PSVR and Oculus Rift... half of the asked people aren't aware of either of them (probably not interested in VR at all), most of the rest seem to be aware of both products:

Google Trends paints a very different picture: https://www.google.de/trends/explore#q=psvr%2C%20playstation%20vr%2C%20playstation%20morpheus%2C%20project%20morpheus%2C%20oculus%20rift&cmpt=q&tz=Etc%2FGMT-1

to me the difference (although small on paper) is pretty significant for a device that has like 6 months of existance/marketing (at time of survey) compared to like 4 years or whatever.  the ps4 has grown significantly since than and reports has since also started saying psvr is technically the better device too.  no one knows for sure but with pretty decent market awareness, almost certainly a lower price, and so far looking to be a better supported lineup i'd say psvr looks to have the better launch potentiel. 

but long term being ps4 exclusive is a pretty big handicap for sales potential. 

kitler53 said:
betacon said:

i don't understand why anyone thinks it is anything other than ps4 exclusive.  it requires a ps4 eye which has a non standard proprietary connection.  psvr is clearly ps4 exclusive.  even if hackers find a way to get it on pc the non official support means no more than a handful of hackers will ever actually use it on pc,.. it will never have wide spread pc usage. 

Non issue can easy be changed, well yea..... thats usually how things go that don't get offical support, not sure why you mentioned that but ok.

retag