Which Will Sell More

PSVR 382 68.71%

Oculus Rift 115 20.68%

Virtual Boy 59 10.61%

Total:556
Justagamer said:
baloofarsan said:

This is what you need for the PSVR experience not counting the headgear:
2 Move controllers, PS Eye camera, extra box for power and computing, a bunch of cables.
Those things alone will be more than $100.

This will be hard to sell without a killer game.

OR will also need a killer app/game to sell.

Gamers will buy PSVR. Casuals will buy OR if they are interested at all in VR.

Exactly. This whole thing screams failure, and massive gimmick. Hell, it needs what many here called a gimmick, the ps move. The extra power box.. yeah, just no. What I find funny is, after the revelation of the extra equipment needed, especially the computing box, people here are suddenly saying the psvr will be as low as 200?! Yeah, ok. None are going to light a fire, but the tech as a whole will fizzle. Not even with the name sony or PlayStation will make it a success. 

Do you need a camera for the end product? Normally vr devices can track your movement without camera.

Around the Network

PSVR has a chance if it works on PC.

Gourmet said:

Now if it works on PC I could see it outselling the Oculus Rift. 

GamechaserBE said:
Justagamer said:

Exactly. This whole thing screams failure, and massive gimmick. Hell, it needs what many here called a gimmick, the ps move. The extra power box.. yeah, just no. What I find funny is, after the revelation of the extra equipment needed, especially the computing box, people here are suddenly saying the psvr will be as low as 200?! Yeah, ok. None are going to light a fire, but the tech as a whole will fizzle. Not even with the name sony or PlayStation will make it a success. 

Do you need a camera for the end product? Normally vr devices can track your movement without camera.

It seems the camera is required

http://www.wareable.com/project-morpheus/sony-project-morpheus-release-date-price-games
PS VR uses the PlayStation Camera to provide tracking and is able to locate the back of the head as well as the front so users can look directly behind them. The camera tracks the VR headset around 1,000 times per second providing a seamless experience.

Move controllers are ofcourse only required for move compatible games. There's plenty you can play with the DS3, which also has motion sensors and the lightbar for motion tracking.

You'll need a camera for any VR headset that tracks your lateral head movements, to compensate for any sensor drift. Without a camera you can only reliably measure head orientation. Doesn't matter for watching 360 videos, yet for any game that does full 6 axis headtracking, you'll need a camera or similar solution.

zero129 said:

You do know you can play almost "Any" PC game in VR right?. Like proper games such as GTA5 Black Ops etc not like them little tech demos that we have only seen of PSVR.

In fact i think PSVR will do much better on PC then on the Console its being made for. And if it turns out cheaper then the Rift i see many PC users buying it to use on their PC.

So i think whatever one will sell better will be down to Price, however i do believe more PC users will jump on VR then Console users for the simple fact that you can play So many games in VR on the PC compared to the consoles. Where you have to wait for Developers to support the uniton consoles and with many games having a hard time hitting 1080P@30FPS on console i dont see too many complex games there, However on PC almost every game supports it, even the high end ones.

You need to know that it's not native support and that there can be issues with that ... 

Like everyone else says, "software sells hardware" and Facebook has done jack shit to remedy that ... 

Sure the VR games on PS4 are far from impressive but at least Sony is a whole lot more serious about bringing in some serious apps to that thing ...

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
zero129 said:

You do know you can play almost "Any" PC game in VR right?. Like proper games such as GTA5 Black Ops etc not like them little tech demos that we have only seen of PSVR.

In fact i think PSVR will do much better on PC then on the Console its being made for. And if it turns out cheaper then the Rift i see many PC users buying it to use on their PC.

So i think whatever one will sell better will be down to Price, however i do believe more PC users will jump on VR then Console users for the simple fact that you can play So many games in VR on the PC compared to the consoles. Where you have to wait for Developers to support the uniton consoles and with many games having a hard time hitting 1080P@30FPS on console i dont see too many complex games there, However on PC almost every game supports it, even the high end ones.

You need to know that it's not native support and that there can be issues with that ... 

Like everyone else says, "software sells hardware" and Facebook has done jack shit to remedy that ... 

Sure the VR games on PS4 are far from impressive but at least Sony is a whole lot more serious about bringing in some serious apps to that thing ...

But other devs are being serious about making games for both the OR and Vive....

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

2 years ago I would have said The Rift, but in the past 12 months that thing has just straight up fallen off the map and now reports are coming in that PSVR is just flat out better. I am glad Oculus was there to work out most of the science and kinks early on, but at this point I feel like Sony will be the one to actually have a good product for sale.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Gourmet said:

Yeah idk if I can justify getting one unless it has some form of PC support.  Then again just like the DS4 I guarantee modders will code in support within a month of its release.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

zero129 said:

Clearly its not native support. But for the extra 50 that Tridef costs its well worth it for the amount of games it supports. even if you where only to count the amount of games that work with it that doesnt have problems (Even if most problems can be fixed). Thats still a much larger % of playable games and the type of games people want to play in VR, then Sony or The Rift team could ever hope to release anytime soon. Plus other devs have no problem with adding VR support to their games since its an added feature they can add it for when people can offered VR or for the ones that can already.

VR on consoles is never going to compare to PC since the Power is just not there. ~YEs very simple games will run well but i can not see very advanced games running on consoles and people wont be playing things like Uncharted or the Next Killzone in VR unless they are really downgraded to hit that 1080@@60-90FPS.

Remember for proper VR the game has to be Displayed and processed Twice. This is what i see as a problem maybe others dont. But i honestly can not see the PS4 being powerful enough to display 2 1080P images at over 60FPS with anything on the same level as Killzone or Uncharted etc.

The games don't need to be as advanced as Kilzone SF and Uncharted 3. The effective resolution you have to display detail in any area is comparable to 360p on tv since you blow up the 960x1080 per eye over 100 degrees. The resolution is a bit higher in the center due to the projection yet I doubt you can expect more than an effective 640x720 to show detail in. Last gen games have enough detail to fill out anything on the upcoming headsets. More stylized graphics will be more comfortable to watch at these lower resolution as well.

It's actually better if the games are designed for VR from the ground up. Adding VR in later does not take advantage of what VR can add, plus too fast movement, camera shake etc can be uncomfortable. Games still have problems adding 3D later as not all post effects and relative proportions work in 3D, with VR those problems only get worse.

PSVR only needs about half the power compared to OR to run games. PSVR games can make use of the frame rate doubling and only need to reach 60fps to get 120fps headtracking working. OR needs 90fps. I don't know if there is a doubling solution that only requires 45fps for PC, yet 60fps to 120fps conversion is preferable.
OR uses a pentile 2160x1200 display which actually shows less information than the 1920x1080 RGB display of PSVR. However games still need to render the full 2160x1200 @ 90fps vs 1920x1080 @ 60 fps for PSV. That's almost twice the number of pixels per second.

So no, it's not just very simple games as last gens games run fine at 60fps on current hardware. Plus the power advantage isn't all that big as the resolution simply isn't there to display those ultra high textures, complex geometry and very long draw distances.

Now what I would love to see on PC OR is a fully ray traced game for VR. Yet I'm afraid that even with the lower resolution pcs still won't be able to get that to a stable 90fps.

PSVR

simply because Oculus total cost to work with compatible PC is way much more than PSVR with PS4...