By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will PS4 be the first evolving console?

pbroy said:
theprof00 said:

If true I would have to claim the title of best predictor of all time.

(I made a thread about 3-4 years ago that we could see a "ps3.5" with forward compatibility to a successive, more powerful console)

PS4 doing this does not mean PS3.5 lives. 😐 Your prediction doesn't hold water.

Only thing close to PS3 being forward compatible is PS Now.

PS3 and 360 should have been the start of true forward compatibility though. Instead, it will start this gen.

You're so tsundere, peanut butter

Around the Network
Ruler said:
Puppyroach said:
I would claim that MegaDrive was the first evolving console, a machine that had a prebuilt expansion port and mid-generation essentially doubled its performance with the 32X. It was a failure but it showed how capable the system was.

Yeah but it had seperate software for each hadware, none of the Megadrive games increased in performance when sticked on an 32X

And the PS4 external Processing Unit will only work with VR games, so the rest of the PS4 catalog won't see its performance improved. It's the same situation.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Ruler said:
Puppyroach said:
I would claim that MegaDrive was the first evolving console, a machine that had a prebuilt expansion port and mid-generation essentially doubled its performance with the 32X. It was a failure but it showed how capable the system was.

Yeah but it had seperate software for each hadware, none of the Megadrive games increased in performance when sticked on an 32X

And the PS4 external Processing Unit will only work with VR games, so the rest of the PS4 catalog won't see its performance improved. It's the same situation.

See what happens when you get the pussy wet, Ruler.

Moderated by - PwerlvlAmy

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Puppyroach said:

This.

I doubt it. It would end up alienating early adopters since games wouldn't run as well, or possibly even at all even though it's the same system.
Although, if you mean added peripherals. Possible.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network

Also, N64 had the ram expansion pak.

SNES had the SuperFX chips in some carts. Made Starfox possible.

Sega Saturn had the ram carts. Made the games better that supported them. They also had a VCD card that let you play Video CDs. Gave some games better video playback.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Ruler said:
Puppyroach said:

I may be remembering wrong but i do believe the 32X and Mega-CD actually used the Mega Drive video and sound output to some degree.

I think a lot of people are looking at this wrong. I don't see a bunch of expansion peices being added. I am talking about a PS4 mid cycle edition.

This would be a new PS4 model going forward from say 2018 tgrough the telease of PS5 in 2023 or whatever. The model would take advantage of the chip fab going from 28nm to 16nm or less. With this Sony can offer extra CPU and GPU power, and a small bump in RAM.

In this scenario, all games would be playable on the current PS4 at 1080p 30fps, but PS4 spec 2 would play games at 1440p/60fps or 4k/30fps. It would also allow expansion of multitasking and non gaming functions. In addition it would include the include the VR chipset, and additional ports to support the PSVR headset and additional accessories or external hdd's.

The tech for a PS5 would not be justified by 2018 or 2020. Sony can not build a $400 consolebthat can make a yrue next gen increase for many years to come, but it can release an up to date PS4 that can continue to be a strong gaming platform for a few more years, and not split the userbase of PS4 1.0 users.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261