By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will PS4 be the first evolving console?

KBG29 said:
kyprime said:

good luck with that, ps4 neo has a weaker version of amd rx 480 and that barelly can play games at 1440p 60fps with drops to 40s with a beast CPU/ram, a weaker version of that with a weak cpu in ps4 neo you should thank god if you get 1080p/60fps locked in SOME games

That is games in Ultra settings, with high AA. Consoles games are never optimized that way. Current PS4 and XBO games are optimized for 1080p/30fps, medium to high settings. Neo will have games at 4K/30fps and 1440p/60fps with medium to high settings and minimal AA. If people want 4k/60fps and Ultra Settings/Max AA, then that is why their are $500+ GPU's and PC's that cost multpile $1000's. 

not gonna happen, every ps4 game has medium to low settings with highest possible texture options because of the large pool of ram and ALWAYS the lowest AA possible at 30fps with drops and 900p/1080p,

again, IF you get 1080p/60fps locked in MOST games, you're lucky

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
I would claim that MegaDrive was the first evolving console, a machine that had a prebuilt expansion port and mid-generation essentially doubled its performance with the 32X. It was a failure but it showed how capable the system was.

^This

plip.plop said:
KBG29 said:
Jumpin said:
You mean consoles with additions.
That has happened for over 30 years, since at least Colecovision.

No, I am talking about a console that gets improved make overs throughout its lifecycle. 

I am talking about Sony releasing what would be the equivalent of an iPhone 6S. A second generation PS4 that becomes the new standard vonaole at retale, retaining complete compatability with all PS4 software, apps, and services, but runs everything fast, better, and smother.

This would not ever have any exclusive titlws or gimics that are not available to day one PS4 owners. I is simply a product that new comers would get a product that is up to date, anf the core market can upgrade to after five years for the best experience.

The only reason this makes since is because a PS5 before the mid 2020 will mot offer a significant enough increase in power usher in a new generation of play. So jumping to a PS5 will only split the userbase, and create distrust due to the lack of any reasonable need to upgrade. Instead an improved PS4 woyld offer a more polished version of current gen gaming, while not forcing people to upgrade for the next micro atep just to play the latest Uncharted or Gran Turismo.

I think creating an incrementaly better PS4 will hurt Sony more than releasing the PS5 sooner. 

If they did that, I would just wait out on their next console to hit it's half life before I buy it, since I know that a better looking, AND PERFORMING version will come out a few years later. 

It's one thing to have a revised looking system, which is smaller, and more energy effecient, As opposed to a newer system that is smaller, energy effecient, and has improved performance in terms of ram, GPU, CPU bumps. 

Most early adopters accept the fact that they are going to be purchasing the system when it is the most expensive, but then to offer a new version,  years later that is also a better spec'd machine, and cheaper. Yeah, this is a bigger deal, than just a larger hard drive.

errrr if you were to wait 3 years for the revision then you can wait another 3 years for the new gen, but then another 3 years for the revision... 

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."