By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will PS4 be the first evolving console?

lol no chance in hell.

Neither will PS5 come anytime soon, 4k is irrelevant and useless and Vr is still in its infancy. This will be a long ass gen barring some breakthrough in computing power/cost.

Around the Network

If true I would have to claim the title of best predictor of all time.

(I made a thread about 3-4 years ago that we could see a "ps3.5" with forward compatibility to a successive, more powerful console)

Diablos said:
lol no chance in hell.

Neither will PS5 come anytime soon, 4k is irrelevant and useless and Vr is still in its infancy. This will be a long ass gen barring some breakthrough in computing power/cost.

^This

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

theprof00 said:

If true I would have to claim the title of best predictor of all time.

(I made a thread about 3-4 years ago that we could see a "ps3.5" with forward compatibility to a successive, more powerful console)

PS4 doing this does not mean PS3.5 lives. 😐 Your prediction doesn't hold water.

Only thing close to PS3 being forward compatible is PS Now.

PS3 and 360 should have been the start of true forward compatibility though. Instead, it will start this gen.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Puppyroach said:
I would claim that MegaDrive was the first evolving console, a machine that had a prebuilt expansion port and mid-generation essentially doubled its performance with the 32X. It was a failure but it showed how capable the system was.

Yeah but it had seperate software for each hadware, none of the Megadrive games increased in performance when sticked on an 32X

Around the Network

This is not happening.

Regarding PS VR, why include it in the console? That would make the base console far more expensive for those who choose not to do it, and making two consoles with two different hardware configurations would be dramatically more expensive for Sony.

The 4K capable thing? That's 4K video output for blu-rays or other digital HD movies. As far as I know they have been talking about adding that to existing PS4s for a while now - not introducing a new PS4 that does it.

Knitemare said:
Diablos said:
lol no chance in hell.

^This

This maybe not in the case of the ps4 not.

I think Sony would like to do it but the fanbase doesnt so they wont do it. It would be the best for the consumers interest if your games would be scalable in performance and be BC just like they are on a Mac or an Iphone but the consumer doesnt know what is best for him like often times.

Just like the PS3 slim added Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio bitstreaming, I totally expect the PS4 slim to add 4K video output (by upgrading the HDMI port to the 2.0 spec). I don't think you can upgrade the HDMI port on the existing PS4 models.

This is a "minor" technical upgrade, and it will not affect gaming (mainly because the GPU in the PS4 isn't powerful enough to take advantage of 4K).

Just like other generations, the PS4 slim should launch in the 3rd year of the generation (so that would mean a fall 2016 launch).

It does not work like that for consoles, if it "evolves" by needing you to buy some external whatever to keep up with the evolution, it simply splits the user base and result in disaster, thats why the Kinect didnt realy work, why Sega CD didnt work, why Playstation VR will probably not realy work and why the New 3DS only saw like 1 game that requires you to have a new 3DS. And if it doesnt need anything external to evolve than it doesnt realy evolve, softwares cant make the hardware more powerfull than it is, its the whole Direct X 11 will make the XOne so much better itll be stronger than the PS4 thing again, a software cant make a hardware what it isnt.