By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It seems like some people got the misconception of what Square Enix meant "episodic"

Tagged games:

TBH yes they are milking it but I don't personally care.
The only way I would be in uproar is if good ol' Nomura decided to go all Kingdom Hearts on us.
Part 1: PS4
Part 1 1/3: 3Ds
Part 2: iOS
Part 2 1/2: PS Vita
Part 3: Microwave Oven

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Around the Network

I think people are just a little annoyed that they're not releasing the game as one release, I am. Feels like a money grab. But, I'll wait and see how much they flesh out the story though. If they go big, I can live with that. It better feel like a full game on each part they release, especially if each part sells for the full price of $60.
As far as the star wars comparison, that doesn't work here. The reason is, the star wars trilogy never came out as a single movie release, then got a re-release as a trilogy. Ff7 was originally released as a single game, only to be remade as a multi part release. Not the same thing at all.

FF7R will be the largest/greatest game ever made. SE said that each episode will be like a full length Final Fantasy game.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

I actually don't care either way. What I would like to see. When all this part stuff is old and done with. And sell the parts for lots of money. Combine everything. Restore the game back into the real full game. Then sell it on disc. Still follows Telltales setup. Regardless if its episodes, movies, full games.

Square never said the word "episodic" wich would mean telltale games model, they meant mult-part series (aka like a movie trilogy, Lord of the rings for instance) but ppl decided to interprete it as the worst possible thing cause thats how internet work.

Around the Network

As long as I don't have to pay more than 60€ for less content than the average 60€ JRPG I'm fine with whatever format they choose.

That's better than having a game cut into episode like they do with the walking dead. If it expands upon the original story then I'm all for it.

Hiku said:
archer9234 said:

I actually don't care either way. What I would like to see. When all this part stuff is old and done with. And sell the parts for lots of money. Combine everything. Restore the game back into the real full game. Then sell it on disc. Still follows Telltales setup. Regardless if its episodes, movies, full games.

Telltale games setups give you a few hours of one game at a time. Each with the same mechanics, and none have self contained stories.
A multi game series can offer a lot more than that. You can have different games with self contained stories, and each game can be a full game experience, and also have very different mechanics between each game. One can be a traditional jrpg, while the next can be open world, etc. Compare Final Fantasy XIII-2 to XIII-3 for example. Or the .hack//G.U. series. Those are quite different experiences than one Telltale episode to another.

I don't care what game does what. These parts are labled as FF7. I expect to have a full collection, once completed.

I thought that is what most people thought of when hearing episodic?

Like with FF X, X-2 and FF 13, 13-2, Returns?

but they could still go with Minecraft episodes too, but will just have to wait and see

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I don't like either of those options. Give me a complete game. Don't nickel and dime me, don't artificially split my expierience.