By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It seems like some people got the misconception of what Square Enix meant "episodic"

Tagged games:

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Nem said:

It is episodic. There is no doubt about it. They are chopping the full story of the original into parts. This isnt at all the same as FFXIII-2 and FFX-2. Those were sequals.

The FF7 episodes won't be contained stories. They will be abrupt cliffhanger ending episodes. The one where Aerith dies is going to be particularly revolting, because it will lose the feels the original had after you had to continue the adventure after the dramatic event. Now you get a year or so in between. When you start again, the feels will be long gone. 

No matter how i look at it, i understand their problem, but the remake is already setting itself for a fail to capture the feel of the original. But well... i guess one can wait until they are all out and then play them back to back.

Them ending the game in the aeris death part would be the perfect place for them to end the first part, my fear is that they will end first part at the end of midgar and game will be like 15 hours long and that would be absulut garbage.

FF7 is fucking huge and its a linear game if you think about it, only in disc 2 you can start to do some extra shit from the story, imagine how long would be if they did this game complete in todays standarts. I would take ages to make and you would probably have like a 300 hours game.

I am almost at the end of disc 1 , i will beat disc 1 in 30 hours and i barely stopped  in world map to do some battles, imagine if this on today tech, with a open world map like ff 15 but smaler , instead of chat boxes full dialogue scenes and adding to that more info on characters. FF7 is fucking great but it was made ages ago, i am at end of disc one and i barely talk and know the characters, i used vincent like 2 times, he had like 1 minute of dialogue and same with Cid. I want to know way better these characters and now they can do that. The game had to be cut and separated to do this.

My only fear is they make more than 3 parts , 2 would be amazing, it would be perfect.

Once again i say this, you want the same  game with only good graphics ? why? play the old game on pc or ps4, i am playing and i am having a blast, i want more i will have more this way.

Though if that is what they did(just graphid upgrade and other enhancements), i would be fine with it. Don't act like that is not the proper way to make a remake. RE remake is just that and is loved by gaming communities at large besides the dumb "tank controls" criticism.

Square is taking a new road. Wether its better or not remains to be seen, but regardless of that, it will never be able to emulate the experience of the original, so, as a remake it has already failed. Doesnt mean it can't be a decent game though.

Oh and no doubt the first part will be just midgar. Also, Vincent and Yuffie are bonus characters (they would be sold as DLC these days). So, thats why they arent an integral part of tge story.

Around the Network
Platina said:
I thought that is what most people thought of when hearing episodic?

Like with FF X, X-2 and FF 13, 13-2, Returns?

but they could still go with Minecraft episodes too, but will just have to wait and see

Its not like those. If you had to compare with FFX, it would be like chopping it until they reach that city where you play blitzball and call it one part. This is episodic. They will expand the content on the parts compared to the original, but it will still be small contained parts that will probably be sold for full price. Youre gonna end up paying upwards of 200€ or $ for it. Its pretty much a garantee it will have at least 4 parts.

I would rather pay 120 for the full game if that was what it took. Better than the nickle and dime they will do. This will obviously be sold as good multiple parts that will keep getting lower scores as they come in and the novelty is worn, instead of the epic legendary game we all envysioned going down in history. 

If you want a true comparison, its the dothack games. Irony that CC is connected with this one aswell.

peterdavid12345 said:
vivster said:
mofili said:

Any sources, proof, links or something like that? I don´t think that this is what they´re going for. They´re not expanding and adding new games to FF7, the way i understood it they´re just splitting the existing game so they can release (part of) it before the wait gets too long

I don't have a source but they did say that they're expanding on the game.

Pretty much this ^.

Why would Square Enix broke the game in 2 parts ??? when they can just expanding it like they DID with other Final Fantasy games ? It's just bad business and they know dangz well :P.

I'm pretty sure Episodic means multiple parts like Final Fantasy X-2 and FFXIII-2 and Lighting Returns.

So yeah, just chill out guys, I'm sure Square Enix is not gonna abuse it.

Unless they release in 3x$20 episodes, or 4x$15, or 5X$12 or 6x$10, then they are already abusing it. This was once a single game for which you paid one price that was no more than any other new release games of its time. New release games are now $60. And it should not cost more than whether it's a singel release or multiple releases.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

John2290 said:
RenCutypoison said:
As long as I don't have to pay more than 60€ for less content than the average 60€ JRPG I'm fine with whatever format they choose.

They will be full priced games like x-2 and the A realm reborn which this split into two in the west. It will probably be 180, three installments.

I'm fine with that as long as the content justifies the price.
Also we don't know yet.

If I was them. I cut the bullshit. And tell everyone exactly how long each part is. If it's a full game, episode, movie, FF7 0.5, what ever the hell they want to call it. Were each part ends, at what point of original FF7. What actual new stuff is being made. Basically, draw out a timeline, like Marvel's release sheduel. This complaing and confusing nonsese, is caused by them not supplying this information.

Around the Network

I don't know gurl, but as long as they don't butcher the game.

It is clearly going to be FFXIII style since Kitase is involved. It might turn out good, but it didn't last time for me personally.

You've added nothing to the discussion here though. You've just said in a vague way "it might be 3 episodes, rather than 5+"
So what?

I still don't see how they can claim that they couldn't keep all the original content in for the remake in one release. I'm not talking about adding things, I'm talking about the original game, remade with updated graphics. There's some in here that believe they couldn't remake the game in one release without cutting content. Well, then how in the hell did they do it nearly 20 years ago then? Stop drinking the company pr coolaid. Then, to say that the game would be so large it would be like a 300 hour game? What? The original was nowhere near that. It's ok to support the decision for a multi part release. But don't sit there and act like everyone should feel the same way. To believe the original game is too big to be done in a single release, when they already did the game almost 20 years ago, is nothing short of rediculous.

Justagamer said:
I still don't see how they can claim that they couldn't keep all the original content in for the remake in one release. I'm not talking about adding things, I'm talking about the original game, remade with updated graphics. There's some in here that believe they couldn't remake the game in one release without cutting content. Well, then how in the hell did they do it nearly 20 years ago then? Stop drinking the company pr coolaid. Then, to say that the game would be so large it would be like a 300 hour game? What? The original was nowhere near that. It's ok to support the decision for a multi part release. But don't sit there and act like everyone should feel the same way. To believe the original game is too big to be done in a single release, when they already did the game almost 20 years ago, is nothing short of rediculous.

Yes. I have to agree. People use this logic: The original game was simple. And doing the graphics now, is harder now. Wasn't that the case back in 1997. The game was top of the line stuff. A 3 game disc was unheard of. The amount of CGI cutscenes. And the length of the game, was still hellish. They were maxing out the console. It's like saying Reboot, Beast Wars, Toy Story. And all the other early 90's CGI shows were super easy to make. Because they had no real detail. For now, it is. Not back in 1993.

Me personally, they don't want to just say: Yeah, we can do it in one game. But since game prices never increased, we can't in one go. We'd probably have to sell it at $150 (which will probably end up happening after all the parts/DLC, anyway) to afford making the game whole.