By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It seems like some people got the misconception of what Square Enix meant "episodic"

Tagged games:

As long as there is an eventual complete version when it is all done, I won't really care.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

I am under the impression that the original game is going to be split into several 'episodes' but each location is going to be expanded to allow for more exploration and possibly side-quests.

The logical idea of this is to follow how the original was split, being over 3 disks, and have each part released be that disks content.

People have floated the idea that they mean to bring in other games in the series such as crisis core, which is possible, but we won't know for sure till we have more information! Everything is assumptions at this point sadly...

Ah, okay, so Squeenix says something ambiguous, and nobody knows exactly what they mean, latching onto existing possible meanings like TellTale episodes or multiple games. Considering the relatively glacial pace of SE (and their silly goal of letting you explore Midgar in it's entirety), my blind guess is a series of chapters spread out over three years.

Hiku said:
mofili said:

Any sources, proof, links or something like that? I don´t think that this is what they´re going for. They´re not expanding and adding new games to FF7, the way i understood it they´re just splitting the existing game so they can release (part of) it before the wait gets too long

Just google the interviews. They've made it clear that that is part of the reason they decided to make it multiple games. They've said that they've made Midgar a lot bigger, and you can visit all of it this time, not just Sector 5 and 8. Biggs, Wedge and Jessie's stories will also be a lot more fleshed out, etc.

"In an interview with Famitsu, via Siliconera, the trio expanded on Kitase’s blog post from last week, stating plans for the title include burrowing further into the story of AVALANCHE members Biggs, Jessie and Wedge.

Players will also be able to explore around all areas of Midgar, and Cloud’s hallucination scenes will be more cogent this time out."

If this proves to be true then i stand corrected. I really hope you guys are right and i´m wrong

We know that they will explore the content more deeply (for example the story of Avalanche members Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie) and add content that supposed to surprise the old fans. They want to make a fresh experience even for those who already beat the game. That all sounds good and promising. Although I'm still not convinced that it will be "too big" for one release. I'm worried about how that are going to handle the progress of the player thorough the episodes. Will there be a level cap? This is critical.

Sources:

Www.gematsu.com/2015/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-details-reason-multi-part-release-cyberconnect2-collaboration-more

Www.gematsu.com/2015/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-part-one-scenario-complete

Around the Network
peterdavid12345 said:

Star Wars is Episodic, but do you see anyone complain about it ???

I have seen people complain about it, actually: I've seen them complain about all the unanswered questions in episode 7.

VXIII said:

We know that they will explore the content more deeply (for example the story of Avalanche members Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie) and add content that supposed to surprise the old fans. They want to make a fresh experience even for those who already beat the game. That all sounds good and promising. Although I'm still not convinced that it will be "too big" for one release. I'm worried about how that are going to handle the progress of the player thorough the episodes. Will there be a level cap? This is critical.

Sources:

Www.gematsu.com/2015/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-details-reason-multi-part-release-cyberconnect2-collaboration-more

Www.gematsu.com/2015/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-part-one-scenario-complete

Oh dang.... just read it. That does sound like they would (maybe) broke the game in 2 parts rather than expanding into a sequel like Final Fantasy X-2... This is seriously worry me. But we will see, i mean the game is still very early in development, and so far everything is still speculating right now. I have high hope for Square Enix :3.

It is episodic. There is no doubt about it. They are chopping the full story of the original into parts. This isnt at all the same as FFXIII-2 and FFX-2. Those were sequals.

The FF7 episodes won't be contained stories. They will be abrupt cliffhanger ending episodes. The one where Aerith dies is going to be particularly revolting, because it will lose the feels the original had after you had to continue the adventure after the dramatic event. Now you get a year or so in between. When you start again, the feels will be long gone. 

No matter how i look at it, i understand their problem, but the remake is already setting itself for a fail to capture the feel of the original. But well... i guess one can wait until they are all out and then play them back to back.

To the OP: how do you know it wont be episodic like the Telltale games? It hopefully will not be like that but you can't know any more about it than anyone else. Or do you have some new information?

Too much crying from people who had no intention of getting the game anyways. Expect the crisis core tie in along with expanded vincent story line and advent children.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.