By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Virginia School District closes over Islam worksheet

Would you get angry if your child received this?

Yes! It is making my child submit to Islam! 77 42.78%

No, it is simply teaching... 62 34.44%

Who cares? Honestly. No need to be butthurt. 41 22.78%

Total:180

Islamophobism is a way of discrimination

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Around the Network
asqarkabab said:

I think some of it is justified. I can see why people don't want people like ISIS entering their countries, clearly. But I don't see anything wrong with allowing a more peaceful Muslim to enter (although you can never know for sure if they are telling the truth).

Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!

Esiar said:
asqarkabab said:

I think some of it is justified. I can see why people don't want people like ISIS entering their countries, clearly. But I don't see anything wrong with allowing a more peaceful Muslim to enter (although you can never know for sure if they are telling the truth).

Yeah thats right 

There are many isis wannabes between the refugees and they use the islamic lie the taqiya but most of the refugees are peaceful and kind

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Overreaction, but people did have a right to complain. It was absolutely pointless to have kids write a controversial message regardless of what people think of the message. Literally, the teacher did this to impose a certain culture. If that wasn't the case, they would have chosen a non controversial message (one that the students could understand.

Leave religious topics to classes about religion.

The issue isn't the message, the issue is that it was unnecessarily controversial and forced to be written. People would have still complained about the message regardless of the topic.

You guy's do realize that the assignment consisted of the writing of one sentence in caligraphy: "there is no god but Allah and Mohammed is his messenger".

Seriously why the hell would you let someone write such a sentence as an assignment? Why not someyhing like "have a nice day".

Around the Network
asqarkabab said:
Esiar said:

Yeah thats right 

There are many isis wannabes between the refugees and they use the islamic lie the taqiya but most of the refugees are peaceful and kind

I think people such as Faux News supporters use taqiyya way too often as an example. I'm quite sure that not EVERYTHING a Muslims says will be dishonest. I mean, really. I think the real problem that is killing people in America is...well, America! America is currently a mess. People are divided, the government is doing stupid things...It seems crazy.

Also, if people in America cared SO MUCH about preventing terrorism and violent acts, then I don't see why they still support Israel. Think about it.

An American will tell you that ISIS is evil. If you tell them they have god with them, they'll say that isn't a good reason to commit the actions they are doing. However, tell an American Israel is evil, and they'll deny it. For some reason, god's existence is fine to support Israel, but not ISIS.

I am not defending ISIS in any way. In fact, I am against both the Islamic state and Israel. They both illegally settle into land owned by people, they kill innocent civilians, have no sensitivity for people outside of their group, and have their existence rely on god.

I know people will disagree with me, but I cannot take people seriously if they're against ISIS, but support Israel(and vice versa). I've visited Israel and areas with ISIS-like ways enough times to realize they're both dangerous.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

hershel_layton said:
asqarkabab said:

Yeah thats right 

I think people such as Faux News supporters use taqiyya way too often as an example. I'm quite sure that not EVERYTHING a Muslims says will be dishonest. I mean, really. I think the real problem that is killing people in America is...well, America! America is currently a mess. People are divided, the government is doing stupid things...It seems crazy.

Also, if people in America cared SO MUCH about preventing terrorism and violent acts, then I don't see why they still support Israel. Think about it.

An American will tell you that ISIS is evil. If you tell them they have god with them, they'll say that isn't a good reason to commit the actions they are doing. However, tell an American Israel is evil, and they'll deny it. For some reason, god's existence is fine to support Israel, but not ISIS.

I am not defending ISIS in any way. In fact, I am against both the Islamic state and Israel. They both illegally settle into land owned by people, they kill innocent civilians, have no sensitivity for people outside of their group, and have their existence rely on god.

I know people will disagree with me, but I cannot take people seriously if they're against ISIS, but support Israel(and vice versa). I've visited Israel and areas with ISIS-like ways enough times to realize they're both dangerous.

I agree with all your points

The interpret their holy books in an ortodox and dogmatic manner thats the source of violence in the middle east they have to try to interpret it in a more humanistic way to bring peace to the middleeast

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

asqarkabab said:
hershel_layton said:

I agree with all your points

The interpret their holy books in an ortodox and dogmatic manner thats the source of violence in the middle east they have to try to interpret it in a more humanistic way to bring peace to the middleeast

Opposite of humanistic though. They only provide fairness and tranquility to their own kind.

Then again, Syria's corrupt government kills their own people. At least Israel and ISIS know how to treat their own people well

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

SpokenTruth said:
midrange said:
Overreaction, but people did have a right to complain. It was absolutely pointless to have kids write a controversial message regardless of what people think of the message. Literally, the teacher did this to impose a certain culture. If that wasn't the case, they would have chosen a non controversial message (one that the students could understand.

Leave religious topics to classes about religion.

The issue isn't the message, the issue is that it was unnecessarily controversial and forced to be written. People would have still complained about the message regardless of the topic.

1. The teacher did not do this to impost any certain culture.  It's not an assignment the teacher created.  It was part of the curriculum.

2. It's a world history/geography/religion class.  You learn about religions in all of those.  They had been covering all religions.  For part of the Islam portion, they studied caligraphy.

Both fair points, but the main issue still stands. Basically the creator of the assignment had no obligation whatsoever to make the students write a controversial statement. Whether the creator did it to impose a belief or for shits and giggles is unknown, but we do know 2 things:

1) the creator knew what they were doing.

2) the statement was bound to leave people offended and uncomfortable.

If the main intention of the assignment was caligraphy, then the intended statement could have been replaced with any other non offensive phrase/fact while still holding true to its purpose.

This isn't a freedom of religion issue, the issue was in unnecessarily yet purposefully causing people to be uncomfortable and offended.

If I am teaching a Spanish class, and I have people praising communism in spanish, you better believe that I'm going to receive backlash, and rightfully so.

The outrage is justified IMO. They went too far.
The schooling system in many parts of the Western world has become too liberal and too modern.