By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Virginia School District closes over Islam worksheet

Would you get angry if your child received this?

Yes! It is making my child submit to Islam! 77 42.78%

No, it is simply teaching... 62 34.44%

Who cares? Honestly. No need to be butthurt. 41 22.78%

Total:180
JWeinCom said:

Of course, it seems that there would be no reason for an eternal god to make laws that were temporary in the first place.  

I don't see how this makes sense (although I see your point in the rest of the post).

For example, if there is some kind of problem, a temporary law could be passed so the problem doesn't get worse, and the law would not apply once the situation is better.

I'm not saying that exact wording necessarily applies to Christianity, but it's just an example showing that an eternal God (or anyone in a position of power, really) could pass an temporary law.

Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!

Around the Network
Esiar said:
JWeinCom said:

Of course, it seems that there would be no reason for an eternal god to make laws that were temporary in the first place.  

I don't see how this makes sense (although I see your point in the rest of the post).

For example, if there is some kind of problem, a temporary law could be passed so the problem doesn't get worse, and the law would not apply once the situation is better.

I'm not saying that exact wording necessarily applies to Christianity, but it's just an example showing that an eternal God (or anyone in a position of power, really) could pass an temporary law.

In certain situations, god does give specific commands (For example in Samuel 15:3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys), but the mosaic laws are not situational.  The mosaic laws are god saying "this is the way you should live your lives".  So if this is what you *should* be doing in the eyes of an omniscient, perfect, omnipotent, and unchanging god, then this should not change at all.

You're comparing an eternal god to anyone else in a position of power, and that doesn't really work.  Like, in America we have a malleable constitution, and set of laws.  Slavery for example, was considered legal and moral by a majority in early America.  However, since we are not infallible, omniscient, or unchanging, it makes sense for us to change over time as new information emerges, new arguments are formed, and society in general progresses towards being more empathetic and smarter.  On the contrary, if god says slavery is ok (which he totally does in Leviticus), then there should be no reason that it should not be ok later.  Since god is omniscient, no argument could have changed his mind, and he could not receive any new information.  If there was some wacky circumstance that made slavery necessary, he could have instantly rectified it because omnipotent.  It is impossible that he was wrong on the issue because he is infallible. His morals by definition could not have changed. So, while humans can and should change laws, god should not have to.

John2290 said:
Just...no. All religion is a disease and it all needs to stay out of schools. The only thing that should be thought in schools concerning religion is about all the "hell" it has brought to this world for the sake of people getting to "heaven", a week or so long class annually or by annually. I myself am not an atheist and I do hold some beliefs (I will offer to my kids, not force) but here in Ireland this is something we don't have to worry about anymore but we did for the longest time, in the last decade the church lost itsgrip here. I was the last generation of kids to get it drummed at us but I never believed it from a very young age (I watched Carl Sagans Cosmos reruns on VHS about 100 plus times before I even got to school at four) What sickens me is that still today, many of the people I went to school with are in their mid twenties, starting families and still going to mass like sheep and I now notice they are forcing their kids. Maybe the post 2000 generation will get rid of it.

Forcing a religion/no religion upon a child will do nothing but cause difficulty for them to think on their own.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

hershel_layton said:
Shiken said:
If the pledge of allegiance can be banned, other religions should not be in schools either. It isn't that hard...

It was never banned. It simply gave kids the option to either do it or not.

Also, look at the class name: World religion

Not history, not math, not cooking class, a WORLD RELIGION class. If students are going to cry because they have to learn about another religion, then they shouldn't be in it!

I don't like many religions, but I'll be fine if I write down some religious text. 

This was the very question I was going to ask. This post answers my question, which was, are they only teaching islam? I'm assuming no. That this is just one of many religions they will be learning about. In that case, I'd be ok with it. But if that's the only one, when there are so many, I'd wonder why just that one? Being a world religion class, Islam, among many others, wouldn't bother me, being taught to my kids.

As a Christian, I would definitely have issues with my child writing that Muhammad is the messenger of God. Even if it's just a school assignment, words have meaning and a statement like this bears a great deal of importance whether you agree or disagree with Muhammad being God's messenger. This phrase is not something that should be written or spoken jestfully and I definitely think that there were better phrases to pick for a school writing assignment.

Around the Network

Ironically you support the teaching of Islam in American public schools in an effort to promote tolerance and understanding of other faiths and cultures, yet should a student decide to doodle caricatures of Mohammed on their notebook or homework assignment, he/she could be facing death threats by Muslims for it.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:
Ironically you support the teaching of Islam in American public schools in an effort to promote tolerance and understanding of other faiths and cultures, yet should a student decide to doodle caricatures of Mohammed on their notebook or homework assignment, he/she could be facing death threats by Muslims for it.

I never said I completely support the Muslim community. They do many stupid things as well

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

It should be optional: if they want to write it they can, if they don't want to they don't have to. If it was daily to have them write it then something is wrong.

JWeinCom said:

It is absolutely impossible to have a truly firm grasp of history, current events, or literature with no knowledge of religion.  If you don't learn about religion, your education is incomplete.

Yea, you are right.  The world is a pretty fucked up place because of religion.

JWeinCom said:
Esiar said:
JWeinCom said:

In certain situations, god does give specific commands (For example in Samuel 15:3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys), but the mosaic laws are not situational.  The mosaic laws are god saying "this is the way you should live your lives".  So if this is what you *should* be doing in the eyes of an omniscient, perfect, omnipotent, and unchanging god, then this should not change at all.

You're comparing an eternal god to anyone else in a position of power, and that doesn't really work.  Like, in America we have a malleable constitution, and set of laws.  Slavery for example, was considered legal and moral by a majority in early America.  However, since we are not infallible, omniscient, or unchanging, it makes sense for us to change over time as new information emerges, new arguments are formed, and society in general progresses towards being more empathetic and smarter.  On the contrary, if god says slavery is ok (which he totally does in Leviticus), then there should be no reason that it should not be ok later.  Since god is omniscient, no argument could have changed his mind, and he could not receive any new information.  If there was some wacky circumstance that made slavery necessary, he could have instantly rectified it because omnipotent.  It is impossible that he was wrong on the issue because he is infallible. His morals by definition could not have changed. So, while humans can and should change laws, god should not have to.

I don't think slavery is a good example there. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that slavery is wrong, and it's even treated as a normal thing in the New Testament, including complete obedience to the master (Which I'm not saying that I'm fully comfortable with that). The point I was making, is how the Old Testament states that you should not eat things like pork (Deuteronomy 14:8), while in the New Testament it's fine (1 Corinthians 10:27-33), which is an example of a temporal law in the Bible.

But I do understand your point on saying that God should not need to change any laws, I just think that you're misunderstanding the situation. It says in Colossians 2:16-17 "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ."

Basically, some of the laws found in the Old Testament were made to be a shadow of what God's plan was. But they are no longer needed because the body casting the shadow has already come. 

Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!