By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Virginia School District closes over Islam worksheet

Would you get angry if your child received this?

Yes! It is making my child submit to Islam! 77 42.78%

No, it is simply teaching... 62 34.44%

Who cares? Honestly. No need to be butthurt. 41 22.78%

Total:180

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/18/us/virginia-school-shut-islam-homework/index.html

There are times where I feel disappointed to live in America... It'd be nice if we can learn about each other's religion and culture. Personally, I would have wanted to learn about Buddhism as a kid(stereotypes were my only source of info). But since this is 2015, there has to be someone that gets offended!

Surely learning the a few things from the religion of 1.3 billion people on the world would be something to learn in school...right? Guess not.

Christians need to act as though there's a war on Christianity. They must act as though Sharia Law has taken over. They must act as though they're persecuted. 

Only problem is they're not persecuted or under attack! In fact, Christians are the ones trying to remove the secular laws America was founded on!

I get if you might not want to write the arabic testimony to Allah(even if writing it doesn't magically make you Muslim. Same how me writing the star of david doesn't make me a jew). However, this outrage is ridiculous! If people think writing "cursive" arabic is somehow forcing it upon them, then they can go ahead and home school their kids.

No one wants their close-minded selves anyways.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network

both partys have a point though.
Badly thought out homework.

I'm completely favorable to Islam being taught in schools. But if they show what it really is. Including sharia law, caliphates, etc.

The Holy Church prohibits it's members to take part in matters of state and is neutral to political parties. While muslisms are mostly favorable to sharia law and their religious leaders serve as rulers. You got that completely backwards mate, you should be the one studying Islam yourself.

Definite overreaction, but there is no way that students should be copying down "There is no god but Allah, and Mohammed is the messenger of Allah" in any language.

If I had some of my muslim students writing John 3:16 as a writing assignment, parents would be none too happy.

Gourmet said:
I'm completely favorable to Islam being taught in schools. But if they show what it really is. Including sharia law, caliphates, etc.

The Holy Church prohibits it's members to take part in matters of state and is neutral to political parties. While muslisms are mostly favorable to sharia law and their religious leaders serve as rulers. You got that completely backwards mate, you should be the one studying Islam yourself.

I've had Islamic classes for over 5 years(including Islamic Law school).

Rest assured, I can guarantee you that the basis of Islam is simple: Allah is the one god, Muhammad is his final prophet. It doesn't involve anything else. In fact, I spent six months learning that basic fact.

Also, please tell me how Muslims supporting sharia law connects to any of this. I'd love to know.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network
Gourmet said:

Muslims are not most favourable to sharia law.most haven't read sharia law or even seen a book titled sharia law. 

The sad thing here is that non Muslims give more of a shit about sharia law than Muslims do. How do I know? I work with Muslim Umbrella bodies throughout the UK and in neighbourhoods where there are lots of Muslims. 

Secondly, sharia law makes it "law" to respect the law of the land. Oops bet most people didn't know that or think of it. It's there proof? Muslims use the courts of the land are go through the courts of the land, not through sharia courts.

Secondly, Muslims do not favour their religious leaders as rulers. Imams are strictly just that, they are not seen or treated any differently to a priest, reverend, guru etc.

The problem the majority of people have is having grown up over the last 15 years being taught about Islam by the media, the far right, the fat left and politicians. Surprisingly, you have not learnt much. 

JWeinCom said:
Definite overreaction, but there is no way that students should be copying down "There is no god but Allah, and Mohammed is the messenger of Allah" in any language.

If I had some of my muslim students writing John 3:16 as a writing assignment, parents would be none too happy.

That's really odd, most Muslims I know not only don't mind quoting the bible, reading the Lords prayer, they love singing Christmas carols. 

In fact I was watching a mufti hum start wars theme song as I was waiting in line at the cinemas.

JWeinCom said:

There's a difference though. One is stating the foundation of an entire religion, the other is a Bible verse saying if you're Christian, then to DisneyLand you go.

Personally, I don't care if you do so! Did the teachers ever say "Hey, we're gonna make you submit to all religions!" ? I recall people back then being able to visit churches, mosques, temples, and much more without people complaining. I don't see why 2015 people suddenly need to feel offended by everything that doesn't make them happy-dappy.

It's erroneous. It's childish. I assure you that if I had a child with an assignment such as this, I would let them do the assignment. Why? Because it helps the student understand the faiths of others. 

Name any religion- Jewdism, Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Sikhism, as long as they aren't making it where they force them to believe in the religion(which never happened here), then let the child learn some basic information about other people!

How is this an attack on one's religion if you're simply writing down words? I'd love to know. I'm not a Christian. However, I would happily write down Bible verses talking about the foundation of Christianity. It's the tolerant thing to do. I am not fond on Christianity. BUT, I am not a bigot, and realize that it is important to understand the faith of 2.1 billion people on Earth. If I didn't think it was important, i'd probably sound as dumb as the parents crying over the assignment

CaptainExplosion said:
Fei-Hung said:
Gourmet said:

Muslims are not most favourable to sharia law.most haven't read sharia law or even seen a book titled sharia law. 

The sad thing here is that non Muslims give more of a shit about sharia law than Muslims do. How do I know? I work with Muslim Umbrella bodies throughout the UK and in neighbourhoods where there are lots of Muslims. 

Secondly, sharia law makes it "law" to respect the law of the land. Oops bet most people didn't know that or think of it. It's there proof? Muslims use the courts of the land are go through the courts of the land, not through sharia courts.

Secondly, Muslims do not favour their religious leaders as rulers. Imams are strictly just that, they are not seen or treated any differently to a priest, reverend, guru etc.

The problem the majority of people have is having grown up over the last 15 years being taught about Islam by the media, the far right, the fat left and politicians. Surprisingly, you have not learnt much. 

If anything it's sociopaths like Mahmoud Amadiajed or ISIL who've made it seem like Muslims support Shariah Law.

Who even came up with Shariah Law? It's done nothing but cause problems.

WHAT THE FUCK DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH SHARIA LAW?

Please, I 'd like to know before I burst another bubble of mine. Please tell me how writing some neat-looking arabic letters suddenly makes you bown down and worship the horrible Mr.ISIS and their sociopathic followers.

We're sitting on a great resource of information, the internet. When I stated the fact most(more than 50%) of muslims support sharia law, all you had to do was to verify it. Your opinions or what whoever told you is irrelevant here.