By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Force Awakens sucks! *MAJOR SPOILERS*

So why's Attack of the Clones not a mess to you then? It basically makes everything wrong a movie can do wrong-far to much Jarjar.

For people complaining about to many open questions, yes, there's open questions. BEcause it's over 30 years in-universe since RotJ and everything that happens in the EU now hasn't happened. Now we see most of the movie from Reys perspective who's from a planet that's even more backwater than Tatooine.
Not that Ep. 1 didn't have open questions. It's just that it always was so ridiculously obvious. Who didn't immediately know that Darth Sidious was Palpatine and Palpatine the later emperor? Maybe some five years old.

Now, i've been a big fan for a very long time. But the prequels sucked. Yes, they did. And at least 75% of the EU stuff just was painfully bad.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
OneKartVita said:

Exactly.  If you treat star wars as a fun Sci fi movie you’ll love it but if you treat it like Gospel and the new trilogy is the second coming of Christ you'll not enjoy it.  

Message to all hardcore star wars fans.  Stop taking it so seriously and just enjoy it for what it is. 

It's hard to "turn off your brain" for this franchise, though.  For me, anyway. And now, the damage is done. But even if I could, would I? It's not wrong to expect more from what will likely be the highest grossing movie of all time, right? Avatar and Titanic are kind of "meh" to me but their still pretty solid. For me, TFA is fun but it's a bit of a mess.

It's a matter of tastes actually. I've always seen it as pure and unadultered entertainment, which everyone could enjoy, kids, adults, without a massive quantity of thinking. Throw in the mix a decent villain, charismatic characters, the SW "don't-know-why" (magic? :P), some lightsaber fights and a twist in the middle to make a decent SW movie. The problem with the prequels was that the characters plain suck (Padme and Anakin, there's no chemistry at all), Palpatine's plans are no-sense at times, and the dialogue is bad. RotS is good though, because of its ties with the OT (rise of Darth Vader, lightsaber fight was cool), it has great confrontations (Anakin vs Obi-Wan, Yoda vs Emperor, Anakin crushing younglings on the Jedi Temple...), no Jar Jar, not many dialogues between Anakin and Padme (thank God) so I think it worked. And they're humourless. Except for some Obi-Wan puns and that's it. 

amp316 said:
StarOcean said:

We live in a world where everything needs to be written out for people. 

I strongly disagree.  We now live in a world where people watch giant robots destroy entire cities for no reason whatsoever.  When younger people now watch classic movies from the 70s or earlier they often complain about how slow moving they are.  You see, scripts used to flesh out details and the motivations for characters and such.  People used to read these things called books too.

What robot are we talking about ? The movies of the 70s were slow its not realy an opinion its a fact, ppl used to think slow was fine back them, they dont think that anymore. Also on the 70s the technology wasnt there to allow movies to have fast action sequences, to be perfect honest its only after the first Matrix that action cinema realy changed, ppl saw that movie and went, OK so if that kind of action can exist I dont want to watch the slow paced kinda boring one anymore, that is far superior. 

Btw ppl still read books, a lot actualy, books arent slow paced just because youre reading, just like any other medium a book can be fast paced, full of action and spectacle, very slow telling some emotional story or a combination fo both.

Nem said:

I see some ridiculous arguments going around saying this is the first movie of a trilogy and thats why we didnt get context. That a new hope was the same.

Seriously, a new hope WAS a new movie. There was no more context cause it hadnt been made up yet. It was a one shot that ended up working out and was expanded.
The force awakens isnt the first movie in this trilogy. It's the seventh! And decades of star wars have been written. Theres answers that fans want answered when embarking on a new journey. This I'SNT a new franchise. If it was, it would just be a mediocre film that probably wouldnt even get more sequals. THAT is why it is especially bad. Because even the prequals with the Jar Jar idiocy had better action, better context and better story than this film. Keep in mind this is a film formula from 30 years ago. It is not quality stuff nowadays and it wasnt a new franchise starting up. 

This was without a doubt the worst Star wars movie i have ever seen. But unlike the prequals it has an advantage. We don't know exactly how its going to end. That was the biggest problem with the prequals. Dumb Lucas should have made sequals instead of prequals.

If you think this is some fan conspiracy to hate on everything. Do yourself an experiment and pretend there was no other Star Wars material. Only this movie. Actually, pretend this wasnt Star Wars and was only called something like "The light awakens".Would you really be eager to go watch another one? Because it was a huge cliche and cheesy movie. Reminds me more of the latest Riddick movie. I really don't believe you would and i think the biased fan reaction is to actually praise this movie. It was flawed, very flawed... and its only getting a pass because we all wanted sequals so much.

The argument is not ridiculous, this is a new trilogy, most of the characters didnt exist on any of the other movies, if there was no plor roles this would not be a trilogy. If we knew if Rey had or not previous training as a jedi on Lukes academy, who her mother and father was, who Snoke is, where he came from and how he seduce Kylo to the Dark Side, what are Kylos true motivations, how Mas Kanata got the lightsaber and all the other questions we have now than there would be no need for 2 more movies or the trilogy would jsut be 3 completly independent and separate stories. The only thing that exist already in the Universe is the mythos wich this movie was very respectfull to, even the lore itself Disney tweeked to theyre liking since they bought the franchise and want to tell the story they want to tell, no expanded universe anymore is a clear example of that.

Food for tought, if Frodo had destroyed the ring on the first movie, or Harry Potter had learned he was a hocrux and Sanpe told everyone his true agenda on the first book Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter would both suck, sagas leave stuf unanswered for a reason. When you analise Ep 4 retroactively it makes a lot more sense than when you see it for the first time.

OneKartVita said:
Volterra_90 said:
I think criticisms are mostly because some part of the SW fandom take the franchise very seriously for my taste. SW films were always, fun, fast-paced, action films, with nothing similar to groundbreaking, complex or even very coherent plot. It's as blockbuster-y as a sci-fi film could get. It's pure and unadulterated entertainment. It's about characters' charisma and relationships, great action scenes and lightsabers. People are reading into it too much. One thing that I loved about this film is that it's not ashamed to play with nostalgia. I was smiling the entire film. That's what makes TFA an awesome cinematic experience for me.

Exactly.  If you treat star wars as a fun Sci fi movie you’ll love it but if you treat it like Gospel and the new trilogy is the second coming of Christ you'll not enjoy it.  

Message to all hardcore star wars fans.  Stop taking it so seriously and just enjoy it for what it is. 

Andhere we have someone who sees things like it is, some hardcore fans wanted this to be the best cinematic experience ever, with a plot tailored to theyre liking, with no new characters onlu the old ones and a series of other "demands". Quite frankly its theyre loss this is a great movie thats almost universaly loved by critics and viewers.

Do you remember when PS4 launched and there was that "blue line of death" thing going around where everyone started freaking saying 50% of the PS4s were faulty cause every forum everywhere were dominated by ppl saying theyre PS4 had the issue ? Well turns out Sony was right and only 0.1% of the PS4s had the issue, however 0.1% of 1 million ppl is 10000, and since ppl never go to the internet to praise anythign we ende dup with 10000 topics about how the PS4 had a super screwed up launch. Its the same with this movie, everyoen and theyre mother watched the movie, and going by rotten tomatoes 92% of this crowd liked it, the other 8% came to the itnernet to start topics about how its bad (or to imdb) so ye, you find ppl bashing the movie everywhere.

From what I read in this thread, not actually many people had an issue with the new characters or unexplained things, they will be explained, in time but that's one thing people don't like. 'In time.' Movies, regardless of if it's story is intended to cross films are still meant to be able to stand on their own, out of context of the others in it's series.

I personally think this could yet would have prefered a few more mysteries to be explained or talked about at least. I was more concerned over the rip off New Hope and Empire Strikes Back plots myself as it's like it's more of a homage fan fiction than a new film. Many, like me, agree it was entertaining though, for what it was.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:

From what I read in this thread, not actually many people had an issue with the new characters or unexplained things, they will be explained, in time but that's one thing people don't like. 'In time.' Movies, regardless of if it's story is intended to cross films are still meant to be able to stand on their own, out of context of the others in it's series.

I personally think this could yet would have prefered a few more mysteries to be explained or talked about at least. I was more concerned over the rip off New Hope and Empire Strikes Back plots myself as it's like it's more of a homage fan fiction than a new film. Many, like me, agree it was entertaining though, for what it was.

Definitely entertaining. Watched it a 2nd time today and enjoyed it EVEN MORE as a whole. But at the same time, my issues with the Ren, Phasma and the ''awakening'' stand firmer than before. 

You can pick apart Ren or you can defend him in equal measure and while I accept points on both arguments, I personally would have liked to see a more menecing and less ''conflicted'' villain. 

Around the Network

Enough hate (from me). Here is what I DID like:

-Millennium Falcon scenes were epic. Every time they showed it, I jizzed. So maneuverable!
-New heroes. Ask three were likeable for different reasons. Poe was fun, Finn was relatable, and Rey was a hero I could root for.
-Han and Chewie. Harrison Ford didn't miss a beat. He was the old con man pirate we knew and loved
-Light saber fights weren't overly choreographed and seemed like a fight. That one at the end where trees were falling was good. I always wished they could reshoot the one from Episode IV to spice it up.
-The scene on Jakku where Rey looked at this old woman. She was like "I gotta get the fuck outta here before I end up like her." Much better than a scene looking at the horizon and dreaming
-BB8. That robot can emote!
-C3PO and his red arm. Don't know why it made me laugh so hard.
-The jokes in general. I liked the vibe it gave. Even if they were still wisecracking after several fucking planets exploded. It wasn't a serious movie.

-Kylo was a legit badass too... until the mask came off. He looked like I could kick his ass!

foodfather said:

Definitely entertaining. Watched it a 2nd time today and enjoyed it EVEN MORE as a whole. But at the same time, my issues with the Ren, Phasma and the ''awakening'' stand firmer than before. 

You can pick apart Ren or you can defend him in equal measure and while I accept points on both arguments, I personally would have liked to see a more menecing and less ''conflicted'' villain. 

First things first, your avatar is very very distracting.

Second Kylo was suposed to be conflicted, one of the things the original trilogy is most critised is because things are too black and white, even Darth Vader who redeems himself in the end, dont realy ahve much grey in him, he is either on Darth Vader I a murderer mode, or on Anakin father of the year mode. So I believe Kylo was an atempt to adress that. Imo he wont finish Ep VIII on the Dark Side and he wont be the main villain either, it will either be Snoke or someone whos behind Snoke and we havent heard about yet, if my beliefs are right Snoke is not a Sith, but he has to have learned the Dark Side and how to controll it to that extent from one, also Star Wars kinda isnt Star Wars without at least 1 Sith Lord, so I believe theres a Sith Lord behind all of this, might even be Sidius himself, he fall down on the reactor and all, but being who he is he coudlve survived on a comatozed state till Snoke found him and saved him becoming his aprentice.

It doesn't suck. But it isn't brilliant either. To take a line from izombie, I wasn't overwhelmed or underwhelmed, I was merely whelmed.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

DakonBlackblade said:

First things first, your avatar is very very distracting.

Second Kylo was suposed to be conflicted, one of the things the original trilogy is most critised is because things are too black and white, even Darth Vader who redeems himself in the end, dont realy ahve much grey in him, he is either on Darth Vader I a murderer mode, or on Anakin father of the year mode. So I believe Kylo was an atempt to adress that. Imo he wont finish Ep VIII on the Dark Side and he wont be the main villain either, it will either be Snoke or someone whos behind Snoke and we havent heard about yet, if my beliefs are right Snoke is not a Sith, but he has to have learned the Dark Side and how to controll it to that extent from one, also Star Wars kinda isnt Star Wars without at least 1 Sith Lord, so I believe theres a Sith Lord behind all of this, might even be Sidius himself, he fall down on the reactor and all, but being who he is he coudlve survived on a comatozed state till Snoke found him and saved him becoming his aprentice.

I have a feeling the true identity of Snoke is Darth Plageius He's got a lot of similarities!

Hiku said:
StarOcean said:

I have a feeling the true identity of Snoke is Darth Plageius He's got a lot of similarities!

I think so too. The way he is described matches Snoke's description.

But I secretly hope that Darth Plageius is actually Jarjar Binks. "Mesa is your father!"

It'd explain his screwed up face due to Sidious  

Jar Jar being the ultimate Sith Lord would be the greatest thing in film history XD