By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Monolith Soft work on an open world pokemon game for nx?

Should they?

Yes 85 42.71%

No, they should make a new xenoblade 59 29.65%

No, but they should make ... 55 27.64%

Total:199
Luke888 said:
Wow, I just found out that Game Freak has only 81 employees. that's NOTHING for the ammount of games they have to do, they really need to go throught massive employment

Why do you think they have been fairly similar since Red/Blue. It's a formula that works and the development team isn't nearly big enough to revamp the whole thing. 

Around the Network

Should they? I don't know what they should do.

Do I want them to? No. But well, I don't like pokemon.

I don't know why Gamefreak couldn't do it. Also, Pokemon games are pretty basic compared to any JRPG out there, so Monolith working on a Pokemon game would actually be a waste of talent

I would be okay with after the next game they released they go and help make it, like they've been doing with the last two LoZ titles. But starting development from the ground up? Hell no. It would take too long and their next game would suffer from time restraints to get a game out before the gen ended. Let the Zelda team do it.

I don't think Pokemon stands to benefit from a giant, open world on the scale of X. I think I'd rather Monolift try something else; maybe focus less on world size and try to tighten down the core gameplay a bit from the mess it was in X.

MTZehvor said:
I don't think Pokemon stands to benefit from a giant, open world on the scale of X. I think I'd rather Monolift try something else; maybe focus less on world size and try to tighten down the core gameplay a bit from the mess it was in X.

What was wrong with the gameplay? I thought it was extremely polished and worked very well. I honestly can't think of a more well rounded game as far as gameplay mechanics where the characters doesn't become obsolete as soon as the player gets dolls. 

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
MTZehvor said:

What was wrong with the gameplay? I thought it was extremely polished and worked very well. I honestly can't think of a more well rounded game as far as gameplay mechanics where the characters doesn't become obsolete as soon as the player gets dolls. 

I don't want to drag this too far off topic, but I'll list a couple of my general complaints. You'll frequently run into enemies that are far above your level, some even blocking the way to story quests designed for much lower levels, nearly anything and everything can clip through you, and the combat lacks any complexity beyond generally trying to stack a couple of arts/attacks from the party (admittedly this is a complaint that can be thrown at most real time combat JRPGs). If you're going to remove the entirety of dodging/blocking/having some way to avoid attacks, it needs to be replaced with something that requires an equal amount of skill/strategy.

MTZehvor said:
bigtakilla said:

I don't want to drag this too far off topic, but I'll list a couple of my general complaints. You'll frequently run into enemies that are far above your level, some even blocking the way to story quests designed for much lower levels, nearly anything and everything can clip through you, and the combat lacks any complexity beyond generally trying to stack a couple of arts/attacks from the party (admittedly this is a complaint that can be thrown at most real time combat JRPGs). If you're going to remove the entirety of dodging/blocking/having some way to avoid attacks, it needs to be replaced with something that requires an equal amount of skill/strategy.

Yeah, I'll admit that I cringed when I first saw cars drive through my characters in NLA like they were ghosts.

No, there will be too many Pokemon games, Nintendo needs diversity not just few strong franchises.

MTZehvor said:
bigtakilla said:

The clipping okay.

The enemies that are high above your level can be avoided. I never ran into an issue where I couldn't get around an enemy that was too high level to continue the story.

As far as blocking and dodging, you have buffs which allow you to add defense (block),evasion up and evasion boost augments increases (well I think you can guess) evasion. The game also allows you to target parts of the body which allows the player a way to eliminate the enemies special attacks (giving the player a way to avoid attacks). This even applies to end bosses. 

Really the only problem I can agree with is the clipping, which I assume is done that way the Doll doesn't get stuck on everything in Mira. 

bigtakilla said:
MTZehvor said:

The clipping okay.

The enemies that are high above your level can be avoided. I never ran into an issue where I couldn't get around an enemy that was too high level to continue the story.

As far as blocking and dodging, you have buffs which allow you to add defense (block),evasion up and evasion boost augments increases (well I think you can guess) evasion. The game also allows you to target parts of the body which allows the player a way to eliminate the enemies special attacks (giving the player a way to avoid attacks). This even applies to end bosses. 

Really the only problem I can agree with is the clipping, which I assume is done that way the Doll doesn't get stuck on everything in Mira. 

If you want to discuss Xenoblade further, we can start a PM. As I mentioned before, I don't want to drag this topic off from Pokemon to the flaws with another series altogether.