By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Monolith Soft work on an open world pokemon game for nx?

Should they?

Yes 85 42.71%

No, they should make a new xenoblade 59 29.65%

No, but they should make ... 55 27.64%

Total:199

Wow, I just found out that Game Freak has only 81 employees. that's NOTHING for the ammount of games they have to do, they really need to go throught massive employment

Around the Network

I would trust Genius Sonority to do it. Colosseum and XD were both fantastic, so given three generations gap from the last release, I think a modern open-world Pokemon game would be well within their capabilities. The Pokemon arm in general needs to hire some more people (though keeping it smaller arguably allows for "quality control" of their employees..)

No, I want Xeno3.

And Xeno1 on Wii U VC asap...

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

RingoGaSuki said:
I would trust Genius Sonority to do it. Colosseum and XD were both fantastic, so given three generations gap from the last release, I think a modern open-world Pokemon game would be well within their capabilities. The Pokemon arm in general needs to hire some more people (though keeping it smaller arguably allows for "quality control" of their employees..)

For the last 8 years, Genius Sonority has only made small handheld titles like Pokémon Trozei, Pokémon Shuffle, Denpa Men and Wikipedia has them listed as having only 21 employees, I highly doubt they are capable of making a big HD MMO.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Platina said:
Monolith is doing a great job at Xenoblade, so I don't see the need for them to make a spin-off game, despite me wanting a breath of fresh air for the Pokemon franchise..

Its great on terms of quality, but not in terms of sales. Xenoblade is super niche. This game is so far probl the most ambitionus game the wii u got. But it wont sell nearly as many consoles as games like mario kart or even mario party did. And thats just that.

From a buisness perspective it just would make alot sense

Around the Network
JNK said:
Platina said:
Monolith is doing a great job at Xenoblade, so I don't see the need for them to make a spin-off game, despite me wanting a breath of fresh air for the Pokemon franchise..

Its great on terms of quality, but not in terms of sales. Xenoblade is super niche. This game is so far probl the most ambitionus game the wii u got. But it wont sell nearly as many consoles as games like mario kart or even mario party did. And thats just that.

From a buisness perspective it just would make alot sense

A compelling and diverse library sells more consoles than any single game will. Just look at the PS4. It is doing well without any particular  big system sellers. There are financial reasons developers produce niche games. It is because they know they can attract different audiences than their typical consumer base, and that they can change demand curves even if that game alone doesn't sell consoles (it sells consoles in tandem with the rest of the library.) 

By the way, Xenoblade Chronicles X is looking to be a million seller +/- a few 100k. With an average revenue/copy of $40 it would likely accrue $30-50 million in total revenue. Considering the modest size of Monolith Soft and the minimal advertisement budget, it is guaranteed to make a decent profit. It probably cost something like $15,000,000 in labor and a few more million in capital, advertisment, and other - more implicit - costs. 

sc94597 said:

A compelling and diverse library sells more consoles than any single game will. Just look at the PS4. It is doing well without any particular  big system sellers.

Witcher 3

Batman Arkham Knight

Metal Gear Solid V

Fallout 4

Call of Duty series

Star Wars Battlefront

GTA V

and much, much more.

Nintendo systems dont have these big popular third party games. They need mainstream exclusives that appel to a big audience.

Just check the increase of the gameboy after pokemon got released.

JNK said:
sc94597 said:

A compelling and diverse library sells more consoles than any single game will. Just look at the PS4. It is doing well without any particular  big system sellers.

Witcher 3

Batman Arkham Knight

Metal Gear Solid V

Fallout 4

Call of Duty series

Star Wars Battlefront

GTA V

and much, much more.

Nintendo systems dont have these big popular third party games. They need mainstream exclusives that appel to a big audience.

Most of those games are cross gen and multiplatform. I don't think people who owned a PS3 or 360 bought a PS4 for Call of Duty or GTA V alone. They bought it for the whole package and future games. Which of the games you listed is an exclusive?

I believe they do need to make a HD open world version of Pokemon. It doesn't matter who it is, but it needs to happen. It really shouldn't be hard to make a game that looks and plays like a episode of the TV show at this point. The instant it does it becames a instant hit.

sc94597 said:
JNK said:

Witcher 3

Batman Arkham Knight

Metal Gear Solid V

Fallout 4

Call of Duty series

Star Wars Battlefront

GTA V

and much, much more.

Most of those games are cross gen and multiplatform. I don't think people who owned a PS3 or 360 bought a PS4 for Call of Duty or GTA V alone. They bought it for the whole package and future games. Which of the games you listed is an exclusive?

cod doesnt even have a campaign on ps3 anymore. Witcher 3/fallout 4 and co are next gen exclusives.

People buy a ps4 because they want to play those big popular games and dont want to build an expensive pc.

The top sellers of the ps4 are: Call of Duty, GTA, Fifa. Not the exclusives.