Forums - Gaming Discussion - Splatoon won 2 awards in the VGA

Deserved?

Oh yeah! 170 84.16%

Hell no! 15 7.43%

(Insert ink pun here) 17 8.42%

Total:202
Mr Puggsly said:
vivster said:
Multiplayer GOTY with only a handful of maps and limited modes and no communication. Seems legit.

You did a pretty good job narrowing down why these awards are a load of shit.

I feel like they just went with the game that gets the least criticism. Splatoon is fun, but its a casual approach to an online shooter like PvZ:GW.

Do you even Splat.. Bro? Ranked mode is no fucking joke and very competitive. 

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network
vkaraujo said:
Goodnightmoon said:
zippy said:

Yes, two fully deserved awards.

With SMM it was 3. Wich is not mindblowing but they were nominated to 5 and they only had chance to win 4 (because splatoon and smm were in the same category), so they won 3 out of 4 nominations.

And one curious thing: With a PC you can play ALL the rest of awards, there was not a single award for any Ps4 or Xbone exclusives, yet there was some for PC exclusives like Her Story. WiiU was the only console winning awards for 2 exclusive games. As I always said, PC + WiiU is the way to go.

Hey, let's not narrow down our vision like that.

Most of of the nominees were great games. Namely, i would not ignore Bloodborne just cause The Witcher 3 was picked as better in RPG/GOTY categories.
Both games were amazing, they just had to pick one.

Overall, only the handheld category let me down, but tbh i never played Lara Croft GO. Would still prefer MH4 or at least Fall Out mobile.

Imo Bloodborne is better than Witcher 3. I just find curious that the only console exclusives with awards were from WiiU. But of course there was some great games nominated all around.

Well deserved!

ohmylanta1003 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I own Splatoon by the way. Like many people I received my copy free simply for buying a Wii U. Its fun, it really is, but its not an ambitious game. Other shooters would get ripped apart for offering so little. But whatever, these awards are a good laugh.

It is ambitious because it's different. That's basically the definition of ambitious. So...that statement doesn't make much sense. If by ambitious you mean "fleshed out", then yeah, I could maybe see where you are coming from.

No, that's not really the definition of ambtiious. Ambitious and different aren't synonymous either. But if you wanna say ambitious is different than average... sure.

But your last sentence is exactly what I was implying. Whatever, kudos to Nintendo for making a fresh experience in the shooting genre. But its certainly not shooter of year. Not the best game for competitive multiplayer either.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

First off, congrats splatoon, deserved.

Second, the exaggeration in this thread is ridiculous. Splatoon gets 2 awards from 1 place and suddenly it "smashes" the competition and is the best fps of the year? Not to be a downer, but come on people. One moment it's "VGA is a joke" next it's "Splatoon won this on VGA, splatoon is the best." Show some consistency

All in all, splatoon is a decent shooter on a console that is starving for fps games (or shooter games in general). I'm glad Nintendo decided to actually make a new ip, but as a shooter, Splatoon brings nothing revolutionary to the table

Around the Network
Justagamer said:
BigMoist said:

Well, they had to give Nintendo something.

It looks like they gave you plenty of salt..... enough to make you create an alt. Now that's impressive.

No salt, and this isn't an alt. 

So... yeah.

zippy said:
elektranine said:

As if "winning" any award from this man:

Has any scrap of credit to it.

Slatton has very few maps and play modes. It has no private lobbies. It launched in 2015 with no voice chat what so ever. There are no ai bots. And local multiplayer was gimped. It even launched with some promized game modes disabled.

But some how by the grace of the Doritos pope it not only wins best shooter but also best multiplayer. Now that is the ultimate joke. Most of the awards catagories were rigged from the start.

I agree, Slatton is an awful game. Splatoon however, is worthy of its awards, Its my game of the year. Dont you just love the taste of sour grapes, it goes well with cheese Doritos :P

Lol, this is a great post. I'm not sure if it's lack of sleep and the fact I'm at work at 2:30 am, but I laughed when I read this. 

Justagamer said:
zippy said:

I agree, Slatton is an awful game. Splatoon however, is worthy of its awards, Its my game of the year. Dont you just love the taste of sour grapes, it goes well with cheese Doritos :P

Lol, this is a great post. I'm not sure if it's lack of sleep and the fact I'm at work at 2:30 am, but I laughed when I read this. 

Why thank you :)

2 nice awards... i like it!

Switch!!!

I won because it brought something new to the genre. Sometimes critics just want something new