By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Splatoon won 2 awards in the VGA

Deserved?

Oh yeah! 170 84.16%

Hell no! 15 7.43%

(Insert ink pun here) 17 8.42%

Total:202

Definitely surprised that it managed to win both award, but Splatoon definitely deserved them.

Congrats!

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
vivster said:
Multiplayer GOTY with only a handful of maps and limited modes and no communication. Seems legit.

lets just ignore the E-sport sensation that is Rocket League as well. that also adds 4 player split screen in both offline and online modes. 

KLAMarine said:
vivster said:
Multiplayer GOTY with only a handful of maps and limited modes and no communication. Seems legit.

Dat gameplay doe.

Exactly.  Since when did a good game have anything to do with # of maps and modes?  If it's just fun it doesn't need to check every box

There would have been some competition if EA said Battlefront DLC will be free like Nintendo did with Splatoon.

But they can't do that. Can they?

vivster said:

You did a pretty good job narrowing down why these awards are a load of shit.

I feel like they just went with the game that gets the least criticism. Splatoon is fun, but its a casual approach to an online shooter like PvZ:GW.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
vivster said:

I feel like they just went with the game that gets the least criticism. Splatoon is fun, but its a casual approach to an online shooter like PvZ:GW.

Not everything has to be hardcore as fuck to be an amazing game. I wish the term casual didn't exist... 

Congrats to Nintendo for the awards. Guys, some of you really need to get over the fact that it won a couple of awards from one source... so what, the game YOU thought should have won didnt, happens all the damn time. Get over it.

bananaking21 said:
vivster said:

lets just ignore the E-sport sensation that is Rocket League as well. that also adds 4 player split screen in both offline and online modes. 

Rocket League isn't ignored however: it was one of the nominees. It's not a shooter though and shooters are "in" right now.

Mr Puggsly said:
vivster said:

Maybe the judges are casuals too? Call it a hunch but I think casuals outnumber core gamers.

Well deserved in my opinion. I was not on the hype train when it was revealed at E3. I also didn't pre order it and had little interest in it until I started to see the game play and a lot of it online. I am still to this day surprised by how much i like it and still play it.