Forums - Gaming Discussion - Splatoon won 2 awards in the VGA

Deserved?

Oh yeah! 170 84.16%

Hell no! 15 7.43%

(Insert ink pun here) 17 8.42%

Total:202
Areym said:
I don't think splatoon deserved it.

because... ? you already did better than anyone who stated "Game Is Shit" or "This awards mean nothing", try to do more explaining why you think Splatoon didn't deserve the two awards.

Around the Network
BigMoist said:
vivster said:
Multiplayer GOTY with only a handful of maps and limited modes and no communication. Seems legit.

Well, they had to give Nintendo something.

It looks like they gave you plenty of salt..... enough to make you create an alt. Now that's impressive.

Faust said:
Isn't the media biased against Nintendo?

While I'm sure you're just being facetious, I'll say that after the few years of tracking gaming news personally, gaming media typically goes for what would get the most clicks.  Nintendo fans seem to make up a decently large portion of those who click and read articles.  

JNK said:
Mr Puggsly said:
vivster said:
Multiplayer GOTY with only a handful of maps and limited modes and no communication. Seems legit.

You did a pretty good job narrowing down why these awards are a load of shit.

I feel like they just went with the game that gets the least criticism. Splatoon is fun, but its a casual approach to an online shooter like PvZ:GW.

would love to see you playing this game againt some s's ranks. if its so casual, that shouldnt be a big deal

Star Wars Battlefront got mocked for being a more casual FPS as well. But I've certainly seen good playes on that.

Hence, casual doesn't mean you can't be better than others at it. But from my experience, the people generally playing Splatoon online suck.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Well deserved and its surprising to see the amount of downplaying by people

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
elektranine said:
axumblade said:
I knew this game would be special but I remember all of the people talking smack about it when it was first announced. Glad it managed to do so well. :D

As if "winning" any award from this man:

Has any scrap of credit to it.

Slatton has very few maps and play modes. It has no private lobbies. It launched in 2015 with no voice chat what so ever. There are no ai bots. And local multiplayer was gimped. It even launched with some promized game modes disabled.

But some how by the grace of the Doritos pope it not only wins best shooter but also best multiplayer. Now that is the ultimate joke. Most of the awards catagories were rigged from the start.

I agree, Slatton is an awful game. Splatoon however, is worthy of its awards, Its my game of the year. Dont you just love the taste of sour grapes, it goes well with cheese Doritos :P

This is a salt festival lol

I'm enjoying it, not gonna lie

Goodnightmoon said:
Mr Puggsly said:
vivster said:

I feel like they just went with the game that gets the least criticism. Splatoon is fun, but its a casual approach to an online shooter like PvZ:GW.

Nah, Splatoon is very good. That's why people got crazy about it when they played the demo for the first time, that's why critics were so positive about it even when the game was extremely shallow at the beggining, that's why is the most popular online shooter in Japan EVER, that's why so many people still playing it instead of forget about it on 2 months like Titanfall, that´s why it has inkredible legs selling, and that's why now is getting prizes in the same categories where games with way more level of sales and budget are nominated. 

Everytime someone uses the word casual in a bad way, I think on the word elitist, in a bad way too. And one very laughable elitism in this particular case. Do you think Halo and CoD players are on its majority hardcore gamers? Ha Ha Ha 

I think Halo and CoD are designed for competitive play. The bar for Splatoon is lower then what is expected in other shooters.

Who cares if its the most popular shooter in Japan? Is that supposed to mean something?

If you're gonna  compare it to Titanfall then I want to see population numbers for Splatoon. Oh right, Nintendo isn't showing that.

I think Halo and CoD are more compettive games. But hey, casual shooters can be fun too. I just role my eyes at these awards. If that offends you... deal with it.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Goodnightmoon said:
Mr Puggsly said:
vivster said:

Nah, Splatoon is very good. That's why people got crazy about it when they played the demo for the first time, that's why critics were so positive about it even when the game was extremely shallow at the beggining, that's why is the most popular online shooter in Japan EVER, that's why so many people still playing it instead of forget about it on 2 months like Titanfall, that´s why it has inkredible legs selling, and that's why now is getting prizes in the same categories where games with way more level of sales and budget are nominated. 

Everytime someone uses the word casual in a bad way, I think on the word elitist, in a bad way too. And one very laughable elitism in this particular case. Do you think Halo and CoD players are on its majority hardcore gamers? Ha Ha Ha 

I think Halo and CoD are designed for competitive play. The bar for Splatoon is lower then what is expected in other shooters.

Who cares if its the most popular shooter in Japan? Is that supposed to mean something?

If you're gonna  compare it to Titanfall then I want to see population numbers for Splatoon. Oh right, Nintendo isn't showing that.

I think Halo and CoD are more compettive games. But hey, casual shooters can be fun too. I just role my eyes at these awards. If that offends you... deal with it.

You re the one that needs to get over the fact Splatoon has won to 4 of the most profitable and expensive games of the industry. In 2 categories against them. Including XBONE big star, Halo 5. It is not the most popular, not the most profitable, not the most ambitious, not the most expensive, not the most "hardcore", BUT still won. Maybe that's because the game is freaking brilliant and some of you just don't see it or dont want to see it.

And please, are you saying that the population is low because Nintendo isnt showing? my god...That game is plenty of players every hour of every day and the amount of sales never stop as all the charts show. We dont need a number to see the obvious, Splatoon is having WAY more life than Titanfall. In fact people still talks about it, no one talked about Titanfall at the third month.

Goodnightmoon said:
This is a salt festival lol

I'm enjoying it, not gonna lie

Me too lol, usually when people downplay Nintendo they kinda have a point. On this occasion however they look foolish.