Forums - Gaming Discussion - Splatoon won 2 awards in the VGA

Deserved?

Oh yeah! 170 84.16%

Hell no! 15 7.43%

(Insert ink pun here) 17 8.42%

Total:202
Mr Puggsly said:
vivster said:
Multiplayer GOTY with only a handful of maps and limited modes and no communication. Seems legit.

You did a pretty good job narrowing down why these awards are a load of shit.

I feel like they just went with the game that gets the least criticism. Splatoon is fun, but its a casual approach to an online shooter like PvZ:GW.

would love to see you playing this game againt some s's ranks. if its so casual, that shouldnt be a big deal

Around the Network

It's nice to see many people downplay Splatoon. Don't worry guys, I bet Call of Duty 80 or Battlefield 21 will win the awards next year!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Dr.Vita said:
vivster said:
Multiplayer GOTY with only a handful of maps and limited modes and no communication. Seems legit.

Pretty much this... 
Winning best Shooter is understable because this can be based on different opinions.
But winning best Multiplayer without a party chat? lol

lol indeed (thou it wouldn't be the silliest award winner I saw).

PS I personally prefer it to other 4, but it has nothing to do with, well, these little technical details.

CU......or CF ?

elektranine said:
axumblade said:
I knew this game would be special but I remember all of the people talking smack about it when it was first announced. Glad it managed to do so well. :D

As if "winning" any award from this man:

Has any scrap of credit to it.

Slatton has very few maps and play modes. It has no private lobbies. It launched in 2015 with no voice chat what so ever. There are no ai bots. And local multiplayer was gimped. It even launched with some promized game modes disabled.

But some how by the grace of the Doritos pope it not only wins best shooter but also best multiplayer. Now that is the ultimate joke. Most of the awards catagories were rigged from the start.

Any chance I could get some that salt for my popcorn? 

Just what I expected to read. Sony wins an award "GOTY, well deserved, this game is the best..." Nintendo wins an award "they must have payed to win this award, this game sucks, it has 2 maps only, it's for kids...".
Can't people understand that the game is a new approach to a genre which gets new games every year that are almost the same? Maybe Splatoon won those awards because it felt new?
Also lol to people claiming the game shouldn't have won because of the lack of voice chat. Would you like Splatoon more if it had it? Or if it had 64 maps and 16 online modes? Just admit you don't like Nintendo and avoid every Nintendo thread, you'll be happier believe me.

Around the Network

Multiplayer

It ''bettergamed'' its way to top.
Definitely RL has better multiplayer assets and it quite popular.

But if popularity was measurement for awards, we would just give it to the shooter that sells 20M every year despite how good or bad the iteration actually is. And while having chat is great for RL, it doesn't prevent Splatoon from being considered a better game.

Shooter

Beating HALO, Bungie's Destiny, BO3 and Battlefront at the sametime.

Delicious, just delicious.

Man, I find it rather baffling that Splatoon won both of those categories, considering their opponents, but good job to Splatoon taking them both. I have found it to be a very great and fresh new experience in the shooter genre. To make me like a genre I usually hate, that's a plus for me.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

vivster said:

Well, they had to give Nintendo something.

Isn't the media biased against Nintendo?

I don't think splatoon deserved it.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian