By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 2007 was the best xbox line up ever.

OneKartVita said:

Credit to gaf:

2015:
Halo 5 - Metacritic score of 85
Rise of the Tomb Raider - Metacritic score of 86
Forza Motorsport 6 - Metacritic score of 87
That's an average of 86/100 across three titles

2007:
Halo 3 - Metacritic score of 94
Project Gotham Racing 4 - Metacritic score of 85
Mass Effect - Metacritic score of 91
BioShock - Metacritic score of 96
That's an average of 91.5/100 across four titles

This whole 2015 is the best line up and 2016 will be better is rewriting history.  2007 was a much better year and I'd argue it's the best ever but definitely better than 2015. 

I know PR is supposed to paint a good picture but in this instance it's just a straight up lie.  Is there no accountability for big corporations anymore? 

The problem is your judging BEST as in better META, thats the problem right there. Sure the quality of the games in 2007 was superiour however the term best line-up is something you dont seem to understand. For example Forza is a much bigger racing franchise then PGR. TR is one of the biggest names in gaming and so is Halo etc.

Xbox werent lying about the best line-up in Xbox history, it just didnt review aswell as previous years. The franchises were there however.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
OneKartVita said:

Credit to gaf:

2015:
Halo 5 - Metacritic score of 85
Rise of the Tomb Raider - Metacritic score of 86
Forza Motorsport 6 - Metacritic score of 87
That's an average of 86/100 across three titles

2007:
Halo 3 - Metacritic score of 94
Project Gotham Racing 4 - Metacritic score of 85
Mass Effect - Metacritic score of 91
BioShock - Metacritic score of 96
That's an average of 91.5/100 across four titles

This whole 2015 is the best line up and 2016 will be better is rewriting history.  2007 was a much better year and I'd argue it's the best ever but definitely better than 2015. 

I know PR is supposed to paint a good picture but in this instance it's just a straight up lie.  Is there no accountability for big corporations anymore? 

The problem is your judging BEST as in better META, thats the problem right therte. Sure the quality of the games in 2007 was superiour however the term best line-up is something you dont seem to understand. For example Forza is a much bigger racing franchise then PGR. TR is one of the biggest names in gaming and so is Halo etc.

Xbox werent lying about the best line-up in Xbox history, it just didnt review aswell as previous years. The franchises were there however.

Forza 2 came out in 2007

So did Tomb Raider Anniversary for that matter... heheh.

Man did EVERY big 2015 Xbox title also get a release in 2007?

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
Azzanation said:

The problem is your judging BEST as in better META, thats the problem right therte. Sure the quality of the games in 2007 was superiour however the term best line-up is something you dont seem to understand. For example Forza is a much bigger racing franchise then PGR. TR is one of the biggest names in gaming and so is Halo etc.

Forza 2 came out in 2007

Difference is your talking about Xbox's biggest franchises its ever had release in the same time period. Plus adding Rare's Replay which also has some of the greatest games ever made and the entire Gears Collection aswell. 

Rare's Replay (One of the best collection of classic games ever made)

Gears Of War Collection (One of the best 3rd Person Cover based games ever made)

Halo 5 (One of the best all time FPS franchises in the gaming industry)

Forza 6 (One of the best Racing franchises on the market)

Fable Legends (?)

Tomb Raider (One of the most recongiseable names in gaming)

That list of games in terms of brand power is by far the biggest in Xbox history and probably even one of the biggest in history. Theres a game out there for everyone and each game holds its own in its own catagory. Fable Legends isnt out yet and i am sure it will hit the market soon. With franchises like that, how can it not be the biggest Xbox line-up in history? Put reviews aside because we are talking best line-up not best scores. Also today reviews are alot more strick.

Azzanation said:
MikeRox said:

Forza 2 came out in 2007

Difference is your talking about Xbox's biggest franchises its ever had release in the same time period. Plus adding Rare's Replay which also has some of the greatest games ever made and the entire Gears Collection aswell. 

Gears Of War Collection (One of the best 3rd Person Cover based games ever made)

Fable Legends (?)

That list of games in terms of brand power is by far the biggest in Xbox history and probably even one of the biggest in history. Theres a game out there for everyone and each game holds its own in its own catagory. Fable Legends isnt out yet and i am sure it will hit the market soon. With franchises like that, how can it not be the biggest Xbox line-up in history? Put reviews aside because we are talking best line-up not best scores. Also today reviews are alot more strick.

I wasn't bringing reviews into it. However most of those games released in 2007 also. So how is 2015 any better? A remake of a 9 year old game and a ROM collection of Spectrum and Nintendo games really are scraping the barrel a bit.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Azzanation said:
MikeRox said:

Forza 2 came out in 2007

Fable Legends (?)

So you want to play the biggest card?  Halo 3 in 2007 sold better than all the 2015 exclusives combined. 

Add on lost oddesy,  forza 2, tomb raider anniversary,  Bioshock,  mass effect,  project Gotham,  the orange box,  blue dragon,  beautiful Katamari and it's a slaughter. 

So no matter what angle,  critically,  number of exclusives,  sales or how the general gaming community accepted these 2007 is infinitely better.

I thought it was a debate when I made this thread until people pointed out all the 2007 exclusives I'd missed.  Hell it took 8 months for Xbox to get a retail exclusive this year and that was a remastered 360 game.  

Around the Network
OneKartVita said:
Azzanation said:

Fable Legends (?)

So you want to play the biggest card?  Halo 3 in 2007 sold better than all the 2015 exclusives combined. 

Add on lost oddesy,  forza 2, tomb raider anniversary,  Bioshock,  mass effect,  project Gotham,  the orange box,  blue dragon,  beautiful Katamari and it's a slaughter. 

So no matter what angle,  critically,  number of exclusives,  sales or how the general gaming community accepted these 2007 is infinitely better.

I thought it was a debate when I made this thread until people pointed out all the 2007 exclusives I'd missed.  Hell it took 8 months for Xbox to get a retail exclusive this year and that was a remastered 360 game.  

Your comparing Sales and reviews. I am comparing brand power. Mass Effect, Bioshock, Beutiful Katamari, Lost Oddesy and Blue Dragon were new IPs  no one new about them so how does a new IP have a big selling name? It doesnt until its released and reviewed. This recent holiday line-up holds names that people already know about. The Halo, Forza, Gears, TR Reboot names have become the house hold names in gaming. Everyone knows what Forza is where as PGR fails in comparison as an example.

Dont get me wrong, 2007 was a great year in gaming for Xbox aswell however interms of franchises releasing togother, 2015 has it beat.

I am curious to know why you mention Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssy and Beutiful Katamari when those games did not sell well and had average reviews. Were you trying to strenghten your argument there?

Azzanation said:
OneKartVita said:

Your comparing Sales and reviews. I am comparing brand power. Mass Effect, Bioshock, Beutiful Katamari, Lost Oddesy and Blue Dragon were new IPs  no one new about them so how does a new IP have a big selling name? It doesnt until its released and reviewed. This recent holiday line-up holds names that people already know about. The Halo, Forza, Gears, TR Reboot names have become the house hold names in gaming. Everyone knows what Forza is where as PGR fails in comparison as an example.

Dont get me wrong, 2007 was a great year in gaming for Xbox aswell however interms of franchises releasing togother, 2015 has it beat.

I am curious to know why you mention Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssy and Beutiful Katamari when those games did not sell well and had average reviews. Were you trying to strenghten your argument there?

I'm sorry but you couldnt be more wrong.  

Brand power?  

I just said halo 3 in 2007 outsold all the Exclusives in 2015 combined.  

The brand power of the 2007 games are much bigger. 

Yeah tomb raider is big,  just not on xbox.  

Forza isn't anything special anymore.  

Halo has seen a huge decline.  

As I said it's no longer a debate.  2007 wins by any metric so you can't cherry pick one to suit your argument.  

2007 wasnt really so good for Xbox 360 because of these Microsoft exclsuives but much more because of the huge variety of exclusive games espacially from Japan, many of them even remain excusive to this day because of poor sales. But of course people and Microsoft try to alternate history and then they are wondering why Xbox cant repeat the same anymore.

OneKartVita said:
Azzanation said:

I'm sorry but you couldnt be more wrong.  

Brand power?  

I just said halo 3 in 2007 outsold all the Exclusives in 2015 combined.  

The brand power of the 2007 games are much bigger. 

Yeah tomb raider is big,  just not on xbox.  

Forza isn't anything special anymore.  

Halo has seen a huge decline.  

As I said it's no longer a debate.  2007 wins by any metric so you can't cherry pick one to suit your argument.  

You clearly are missing the point. Your still basing your arguments off sales and reviews. The fact mediocre Japanese exclusives were brought up clearly shows desperation here because they did poorly on all charts.

2015 housed the Biggest Xbox games in its history all at the same time where in other years that's never happened.

I am not arguing against the scores, all these games are great but we are talking best line-up NOT best games.

Eternal Sonata (79-80 meta) was also exclusive at the time. Ace Combat 6 (80 meta) exclusive. MS truly had the reins for so long.

Guitar hero 2 was next gen exclusive, but did release for PS2. I am sure there were many more.