By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 2007 was the best xbox line up ever.

Azzanation said:

Your comparing Sales and reviews. I am comparing brand power. Mass Effect, Bioshock, Beutiful Katamari, Lost Oddesy and Blue Dragon were new IPs  no one new about them so how does a new IP have a big selling name? It doesnt until its released and reviewed. This recent holiday line-up holds names that people already know about. The Halo, Forza, Gears, TR Reboot names have become the house hold names in gaming. Everyone knows what Forza is where as PGR fails in comparison as an example.

Dont get me wrong, 2007 was a great year in gaming for Xbox aswell however interms of franchises releasing togother, 2015 has it beat.

I am curious to know why you mention Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssy and Beutiful Katamari when those games did not sell well and had average reviews. Were you trying to strenghten your argument there?

Bioshock - huge hype due to being successor to System Shock games.

Beautiful Katamari was the 3rd home console game in the series. It wasn't COD level sales, but at the time it game out, it was considered a successful franchise.

Lost Oddesey was OMG exclusive Square Enix RPG.

Blue Dragon was OMG Final Fantasy creator has written it.

There was hype and brand power behind them. Though now you bring in meta and sales, having just said they're nothing to do with your argument... Also having these "mediocre, poor selling" Japanese games vs 2015 not having anything of the sort does nothing but strengthen 2007's position.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
Azzanation said:

Your comparing Sales and reviews. I am comparing brand power. Mass Effect, Bioshock, Beutiful Katamari, Lost Oddesy and Blue Dragon were new IPs  no one new about them so how does a new IP have a big selling name? It doesnt until its released and reviewed. This recent holiday line-up holds names that people already know about. The Halo, Forza, Gears, TR Reboot names have become the house hold names in gaming. Everyone knows what Forza is where as PGR fails in comparison as an example.

Dont get me wrong, 2007 was a great year in gaming for Xbox aswell however interms of franchises releasing togother, 2015 has it beat.

I am curious to know why you mention Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssy and Beutiful Katamari when those games did not sell well and had average reviews. Were you trying to strenghten your argument there?

Bioshock - huge hype due to being successor to System Shock games.

Beautiful Katamari was the 3rd home console game in the series. It wasn't COD level sales, but at the time it game out, it was considered a successful franchise.

Lost Oddesey was OMG exclusive Square Enix RPG.

Blue Dragon was OMG Final Fantasy creator has written it.

There was hype and brand power behind them. Though now you bring in meta and sales, having just said they're nothing to do with your argument... Also having these "mediocre, poor selling" Japanese games vs 2015 not having anything of the sort does nothing but strengthen 2007's position.

Not sure where your trying to head with this, ill anwser it as cleanly as possible. Boishock is NOT the successor to System Shock, the games have nothing incommon apart from the SHOCK in there name and the RPG elements they carry. If you played System Shock you would understand this and i wouldnt have to explain it to you otherwise. Bioshock is a great game and yes a hyped one.

Beautiful Katamari, Blue Dragon, PGR and Lost Odyssy, hold nothing on Tomb Raider, Gears, Fable, Forza. Halo 3 was a huge selling game but selling more doesnt mean its a bigger game. Halo 5 is still selling well and the Halo franchise has never been bigger interms of its name. Same goes with TR, Forza, Gears and Fable, plus lets also include Rare's Replay and Ori and the Blind Forest just for some extras.

You were using Meta and sales for your argument, and i clarified that 3 of those games you mention did poorly in both aspects. Those games are forgotten games and during the 360 era, not many gamers even knows what they are, even today alot of gamers dont know what they are. They dont do your debate justice.  

Let me get this straight Azzanation.

You are saying that Halo 5 having sold WAY less than Halo 3 and reviewed 10 points BELOW, the game is bigger in what way? The franchise is bigger how?

Explain that to us, please.

Azzanation said:
OneKartVita said:
Azzanation said:

I'm sorry but you couldnt be more wrong.  

Brand power?  

I just said halo 3 in 2007 outsold all the Exclusives in 2015 combined.  

The brand power of the 2007 games are much bigger. 

Yeah tomb raider is big,  just not on xbox.  

Forza isn't anything special anymore.  

Halo has seen a huge decline.  

As I said it's no longer a debate.  2007 wins by any metric so you can't cherry pick one to suit your argument.  

You clearly are missing the point. Your still basing your arguments off sales and reviews. The fact mediocre Japanese exclusives were brought up clearly shows desperation here because they did poorly on all charts.

2015 housed the Biggest Xbox games in its history all at the same time where in other years that's never happened.

I am not arguing against the scores, all these games are great but we are talking best line-up NOT best games.

Yes and that's why I bring up both. It had the best line up, most exclusives, better reviews and sales.  

At this point you're just arguing for the sake of it.  The 2007 list of 360 exclusives is legendary.  This year's nothing compared.  

Azzanation said:
OneKartVita said:
Azzanation said:

I'm sorry but you couldnt be more wrong.  

Brand power?  

I just said halo 3 in 2007 outsold all the Exclusives in 2015 combined.  

The brand power of the 2007 games are much bigger. 

Yeah tomb raider is big,  just not on xbox.  

Forza isn't anything special anymore.  

Halo has seen a huge decline.  

As I said it's no longer a debate.  2007 wins by any metric so you can't cherry pick one to suit your argument.  

You clearly are missing the point. Your still basing your arguments off sales and reviews. The fact mediocre Japanese exclusives were brought up clearly shows desperation here because they did poorly on all charts.

2015 housed the Biggest Xbox games in its history all at the same time where in other years that's never happened.

I am not arguing against the scores, all these games are great but we are talking best line-up NOT best games.

And the 2007 list just gets bigger and bigger.  It's overkill at this point.  

Around the Network
AEGRO said:

You are saying that Halo 5 having sold WAY less than Halo 3 and reviewed 10 points BELOW, the game is bigger in what way? The franchise is bigger how?

Do you know what revenue is? Profit? popularity? All this make up the franchise not just in sales. Today there would be barely anyone who doesnt know what Halo is where as in 2007 it was still climbing.

Your argument is that you enjoyed the games more in 2007, doesnt make it bigger. Xbox's bigest franchises all released in the same time period in 2015. Sorry to say but Bioshock in terms of franchise isnt bigger then Halo, TR, Forza, Fable, Gears etc. Neither is half the dozen Japanese games you mention. Thats why its called Xbox's biggest line-up in history.

Azzanation said:
AEGRO said:

Do you know what revenue is? Profit? popularity? All this make up the franchise not just in sales. Today there would be barely anyone who doesnt know what Halo is where as in 2007 it was still climbing.

Your argument is that you enjoyed the games more in 2007, doesnt make it bigger. Xbox's bigest franchises all released in the same time period in 2015. Sorry to say but Bioshock in terms of franchise isnt bigger then Halo, TR, Forza, Fable, Gears etc. Neither is half the dozen Japanese games you mention. Thats why its called Xbox's biggest line-up in history.

How can a game be more popular by selling less?

How can a game be more profitable by selling less?

AEGRO said:
Azzanation said:
AEGRO said:

To be fair, a better managed development budget can make a game more profitble despite selling less. However, I'd wager Halo 5's budget was actually bigger than Halo 3's.#

To answer Azzanation's points, I'd ask you the same thing. Most seem to favour 2007. You keep listing 2007 releases, and saying these are the reason 2015 is a "greater" Xbox lineup? Hell, your 2015 lineup is also having to draw on remakes of 2006 titles (which were a bigger deal in 2007 than they are in 2015) and ZX Spectrum and N64 games.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

AEGRO said:
Azzanation said:
AEGRO said:

Do you honestly think Sales make up the entire profit of a game? What about Toys, Accessories, Hardware, Digital etc. There are many ways to make profit then phyical sales. Never base a games success based off its phyical sales because Sales can be misleading. MS could sell Halo 5 for $3 for years and say they  
sold 50m units. Does that make it successful?

Azzanation said:
AEGRO said:
Azzanation said:
AEGRO said:

Do you honestly think Sales make up the entire profit of a game? What about Toys, Accessories, Hardware, Digital etc. There are many ways to make profit then phyical sales. Never base a games success based off its phyical sales because Sales can be misleading. MS could sell Halo 5 for $3 for years and say they  
sold 50m units. Does that make it successful?

Bro, stop LOL

Seriously, you are just discussing just for the sake of it. Xbox fans have to deal with the fact that their most popular franchises are not so popular anymore. Forza 6, Halo 5 and the upcoming Gears 4 are/will be proof of it.