By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Buy PS4/X1 now, or wait for NX?

What to do?

Wait for NX 90 31.91%

Wait for PS5 41 14.54%

Wait for Xbox 2 8 2.84%

Wait for everything 31 10.99%

Buy this plastic box 78 27.66%

Buy that other plastic box 34 12.06%

Total:282

Wait til you have more info about NX before you make the call. I doubt FFXV and FF VIIR will have released by the time the NX will be unveiled either way. But if I'm to be completely honest, I really doubt that NX' third party support will be even half as good as PS4/XBO, and I'm not certain it will even be more powerful than the PS4.

But yahh, just wait.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
 If Nintendo is making a console that they sell for $300? And I'm talking about a basic traditional console. And that console is being sold for any kinda profit, then there is no kinda sorcery they can do to make it more powerful than the PS4.

PS4 was launch in 2013. with $399 price, after only few months Sony said they are selling it with profit. So I really don't see why is impossible that Nintendo 3 years after PS4 launch, launch little stronger console with $299 price point and make profit!?

I'd recommend getting a ps4 for third party.
I wouldn't worry too much about publishers skipping the current market leader and media darling Playstation over industry unfavorite Nintendo. Publishers are not going to skip over a likely 40m+ and growing userbase (depending on when the NX comes out) even if the NX should be stronger than the PS4/Xone.
We don't really have any indication of how strong NX will be, or hell, even what it will be, and don't know how good it's third party support will end up being either.
PS4 on the other hand will get any third party multiplat offering out there and you will likely get slightly better performance out of it compared to Xbox one.
And in case I'm wrong, you can always get an NX later down the line, but you will have instant access to all multiplats now.

Unless you really need an NX at launch and don't have the funds to buy a 299,- Ps4 now, and another (probably similarily priced console) one or two years down the line, I'd go for the Ps4.

Buy as PS4. Over 30 Million customers, can't be wrong.

Miyamotoo said:
Intrinsic said:
 If Nintendo is making a console that they sell for $300? And I'm talking about a basic traditional console. And that console is being sold for any kinda profit, then there is no kinda sorcery they can do to make it more powerful than the PS4.

PS4 was launch in 2013. with $399 price, after only few months Sony said they are selling it with profit. So I really don't see why is impossible that Nintendo 3 years after PS4 launch, launch little stronger console with $299 price point and make profit!?

A couple of reasons. 

1. You really must not know Nintendo. Nintendo has never adopted the loss leader model of console selling. So they always aim to make a profit on their hardware. 

2. In fall 2016. The PS4 could very well be selling for $250. And that's under the assumption that Sony is either breaking even or making a profit anywhere between $20-$40 per unit at that price. The important thing to note here is that hardware built to the spec of the PS4 (and assuming you even have the engineering muscle of something like Sony behind you) WILL have a BOM of around $210-$250 at the time. So of Nintendo makes something very similar to the ps4 that's what it will cost them too. If they make something more powerful then it will cost them more. And more is not good, cause remember point 1. Especially when talking about Nintendo. 

3. The NX isn't without competition. Its coming into a race at a time when the consoles already out are just hitting their mainstream stride. It will be going up against a PS4 with an install base of around 45M at the time and an XB1 at around 25M. Having just abandoned its last console in around 4yrs. It cannot afford to come in being the most expensive box on the block especially if all its doing is offering slightly better framerstes than the PS4. The PS2 was proof enough that you don't need to have the most powerful console on the market to win. If Nintendo comes in at $300, and Sony decides to take a git of $40 on every console they sell and drop the price of the PS4 to $199 (which they could) and with the kinda lineup Sony has next year and all that VR stuff.... nintendo will be DOA. 

All this aside, I personally think its just a flat out stupid idea for Nintendo to launch a console next year. But what do I know?

Around the Network

Buy a PS4 cause nothing is slowing that train down.

Miyamotoo said:
Aerys said:
I dont know how people can still trust Nintendo and buy NX day one after Wii U

Because Nintendo is delivering great games regardless if it's their best selling or worst selling console!?

Yes but if the Wii tought us something the amount of those games is highly depends om the succes of the console. If you compare GC or Wii library to Wii U it's downright laughable. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

V-r0cK said:
Sixteenvolt420 said:
Buy as PS4. Over 30 Million customers, can't be wrong.

Legacy said:
V-r0cK said:
p>

The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Angelv577 said:
I don't think NX will be more powerful than ps4 and xb1 and even if that does happen, the system needs to prove that multiplatform games are gonna be there which there is no way to guarantee that will happen.

If you are looking for a system for multiplatform titles, you are better off buying a ps4/xb1 or PC.

PS4 and xbox One aren't even strong systems to begin with.