By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - At this rate, Zelda X will arrive in 2021

Darwinianevolution said:
Nintendo needs to follow the N64 Twins formula. After a Zelda that takes an eternity to make, use the engine, assets and everything you can reuse without being cheap and make a direct sequel in 2-3 years. After that, you can take five years again, but at least have two big Zeldas per generation.

Totally agree, in that way we could have Zelda NX in 2018/2019 and after that they can start developing new Zelda for next hardware.

We need two big Zeldas per generation even if one is just a port for next hardware like TP for Wii and very likely ZeldaU for NX.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
Nintendo needs to follow the N64 Twins formula. After a Zelda that takes an eternity to make, use the engine, assets and everything you can reuse without being cheap and make a direct sequel in 2-3 years. After that, you can take five years again, but at least have two big Zeldas per generation.

This, they can do what they done with Majora's mask.

Ideally though they should expand into 2 seperate teams, so we can recieve 2 distinct Zelda's per generation. Ocarina of time, Majora's Mask and Wind Waker all arrived within a 4-5 year period which is insane, but also how it should be. If the NX truly is a unified platform we might see a return to a similar frequency as a of Nintendo's team will automatically be freed up somewhat.

Alternatively Nintendo can collaborate with a third party. I think capcom could deliver strong technical contribution towards a Ocarina type Zelda game. Nintendo Core team will of course be in charge of the art and gameplay design.

They knew after Skyward Sword that Zelda titles were taking too long. Didn't Iwata go on record to say that home console Zeldas should take around three years? Obviously this generation had a whole set of development bottlenecks didn't plan for, but I think 3-4 years between Zelda games is right. 5 years just pushes things too long, especially now it means they're only coming out in the dying months of a console's lifespan.

If NX is a unified platform it won't take as long to develop the next Zelda game because the team don't have to make separate games for two platforms.

curl-6 said:
Jon-Erich said:
The Zelda team has made other games within those 5 years. They made A Link Between Worlds and Triforce Heroes.

There's a reason why we don't see many other developers make Zelda-type games on consoles. They really are time consuming and cost a lot to make. Expecting multiple console Zelda games in a single generation would be like expecting multiple 3D GTA games in a single generation. It is possible but almost unlikely. This is a major reason why first person shooters became a norm in the industry. Not only do they sell and appeal to a wide variety of people, but they're also far easier to make. There's a lot less to deal with. No camera controls and angles, fewer animations. The overall game design isn't as complex either.

I can now see why Shigeru Minamoto had originally wanted Ocarina of Time to be played from a first person perspective. I think even back then, he understood hot complicated future development on Zelda games would be.

?

6th gen: GTA3, GTA: SA

7th gen: GTA4, GTA5

The 6th generation was a completely different story. Those games were easier to make back then and more affordable, at least compared to today. Not to mention they all used the same engine. This why during the 6th generation, you had many GTA clones. After the 6th generation, you stopped seeing the GTA clones because nobody could afford to make those kinds of games anymore. Just like GTA, the timespan between console Zelda games was also much shorter than today, even though Eiji Aonuma had those games go through delays.

With the 7th generation, they managed to squeeze out one more console GTA game right at the start of the 8th generation and it technically wasn't even finished at the time of it's release. It's kind of like how Nintendo managed to get Twilight Princess out at that exact moment when the 6th generation was coming to an end and the 7th generation was a in full gear. In fact, it's really the same thing. The time between the releases of GTA IV and GTA V was 5 years. The time between Skyward Sword and Zelda U will be 5 years.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

By the time it comes out next year, Zelda U, like Skyward Sword before it, will be releasing 5 years after its predecessor.

If Nintendo continue this pattern with the following entry, we won't get it until 2021. 

Can Nintendo afford a 5 year cycle for home console Zelda games? Will the long breaks in between build anticipation and hype, or will people just get tired of waiting?

"We have encountered some technical issues while trying to create the best experience for The Legend of Zelda X. We need more time to make this the best Zelda ever, so this game will now be released in 2022. Please understand".

Jon-Erich said:

The 6th generation was a completely different story. Those games were easier to make back then and more affordable, at least compared to today. Not to mention they all used the same engine. This why during the 6th generation, you had many GTA clones. After the 6th generation, you stopped seeing the GTA clones because nobody could afford to make those kinds of games anymore. Just like GTA, the timespan between console Zelda games was also much shorter than today, even though Eiji Aonuma had those games go through delays.

With the 7th generation, they managed to squeeze out one more console GTA game right at the start of the 8th generation and it technically wasn't even finished at the time of it's release. It's kind of like how Nintendo managed to get Twilight Princess out at that exact moment when the 6th generation was coming to an end and the 7th generation was a in full gear. In fact, it's really the same thing. The time between the releases of GTA IV and GTA V was 5 years. The time between Skyward Sword and Zelda U will be 5 years.

While I loathe GTA, even I'll admit it is one of the most ambitious and elaborate games on the market. I hardly think Zelda needs as much development time as a modern GTA. 

Plenty of devs have managed to put out quality blockbuster games with 3 year development cycles. There are very, very few games that need 5 years, and Zelda is not one of them.

spurgeonryan said:
I say fire whoever it is on it now. Get a good third party company to do one every two years.

I would be ok with that!! Whatever they need to do to put a new Zelda every two years. I even wouldn't mind playing a new Zelda every year, its story is so big they could do almost anything and it would never get boring, at least for me.

Now that they have unified the teams, maybe they can accomplish this, as they won't need to do a new mario/smash/kart/zelda/kirby/animal crossing etc for each hardware.

Though I still hope they do more handeld zelda's like a link between worlds and the older titles. Give me a hanheld remaster of oracles and awakening and I'll throw money in their face.

curl-6 said:
Jon-Erich said:

While I loathe GTA, even I'll admit it is one of the most ambitious and elaborate games on the market. I hardly think Zelda needs as much development time as a modern GTA. 

Plenty of devs have managed to put out quality blockbuster games with 3 year development cycles. There are very, very few games that need 5 years, and Zelda is not one of them.

Zelda may not have the extensive voice acting and scripted story that GTA has but the games are still quite large and ambitious compared to most games. Again, how often do you see a game on the market that is anything like Zelda? A lot of publishers today deliberately avoid games like that. Then there's the issue of quality. Large games like that means that cleaning up bugs and glitches will take longer as the hardware becomes more sophisticated. Even after all of that, the occassional bug still gets past testing. Unlike your average publisher, Nintendo doesn't release unfinished games. They aren't a big fan of patching. So to put things in perspective, take something like Assassins Creed Unity and Battlefield 4 and estimate how long the initial development took. Then add in how many months it took to fix those games after their release. Then you'll get a true perspective on how long some of those games should take to develop.

Also keep in mind that the same Zelda team that makes the console games also makes the handheld games which are also becoming increasingly sophisticated. With something like Call of Duty or Assassins Creed, there's the console game. That's it. There is no portable games in between the console games and if their is, it's usually left in the hands of another developer. So the reality is that the Zelda team has been hard at work on several Zelda games over the last few years, one of them being the most sophisticated console Zelda game ever.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Kennel83 said:
spurgeonryan said:
I say fire whoever it is on it now. Get a good third party company to do one every two years.

I would be ok with that!! Whatever they need to do to put a new Zelda every two years. I even wouldn't mind playing a new Zelda every year, its story is so big they could do almost anything and it would never get boring, at least for me.

Now that they have unified the teams, maybe they can accomplish this, as they won't need to do a new mario/smash/kart/zelda/kirby/animal crossing etc for each hardware.

Though I still hope they do more handeld zelda's like a link between worlds and the older titles. Give me a hanheld remaster of oracles and awakening and I'll throw money in their face.

Third party to make main 3D Zelda!? No thanks.

Development of 3D Zelda takes time especially in HD era, also making very high quality Zelda game that will be on pair with previous games in series also takes time, so It's very unrealistic to expect that you can have new main 3D Zelda every two years, every 3-4 years is possible but every two years definitely not.