By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - At this rate, Zelda X will arrive in 2021

curl-6 said:
Jon-Erich said:

The 6th generation was a completely different story. Those games were easier to make back then and more affordable, at least compared to today. Not to mention they all used the same engine. This why during the 6th generation, you had many GTA clones. After the 6th generation, you stopped seeing the GTA clones because nobody could afford to make those kinds of games anymore. Just like GTA, the timespan between console Zelda games was also much shorter than today, even though Eiji Aonuma had those games go through delays.

With the 7th generation, they managed to squeeze out one more console GTA game right at the start of the 8th generation and it technically wasn't even finished at the time of it's release. It's kind of like how Nintendo managed to get Twilight Princess out at that exact moment when the 6th generation was coming to an end and the 7th generation was a in full gear. In fact, it's really the same thing. The time between the releases of GTA IV and GTA V was 5 years. The time between Skyward Sword and Zelda U will be 5 years.

While I loathe GTA, even I'll admit it is one of the most ambitious and elaborate games on the market. I hardly think Zelda needs as much development time as a modern GTA. 

Plenty of devs have managed to put out quality blockbuster games with 3 year development cycles. There are very, very few games that need 5 years, and Zelda is not one of them.

Well every 3D Zelda game is still very high quality game that is always one of the best games of generation, also its totally bug free and without any problems like bad fps or similar. How many blockbuster games like that with 3 year development cycles we have on market, or how many game like that at all we have on market!? There is a reason why Zelda series manage to have high quality games for 30th years.

I agree that 5 years is little too much for new 3D Zelda, but while Nintendo still deleriving what is expected from 3D Zelda, I cant complain too much, but surely I would love if Nintendo could manage to deliver 3D Zelda in 3-4 years and if that dont effect on quality of game.

Around the Network

If the rumors are correct and NX is around the corner.... Zelda U will be a cross gen game!

Switch!!!

I don't see a reduction in development time for future home console Zelda games I'm afraid. With Zelda wii u being such an ambitious, huge open world game I think they are at the point of no return. Can you imagine if they reverted back to small enclosed area's of exploration in a segregated overworld within a completely linear structure? There would hell to pay and the fans wouldn't stand for it.

The only way forward would be to improve upon Zelda u and make it's successor even bigger and better which will take time, probably another 5 years.

Metroid33slayer said:
I don't see a reduction in development time for future home console Zelda games I'm afraid. With Zelda wii u being such an ambitious, huge open world game I think they are at the point of no return. Can you imagine if they reverted back to small enclosed area's of exploration in a segregated overworld within a completely linear structure? There would hell to pay and the fans wouldn't stand for it.

The only way forward would be to improve upon Zelda u and make it's successor even bigger and better which will take time, probably another 5 years.

But huge difference is that next Zelda want be first HD and frist big true open world Zelda, also Nintendo with NX will not make multiplayer Zelda projects in same time like they done this gen.

curl-6 said:

By the time it comes out next year, Zelda U, like Skyward Sword before it, will be releasing 5 years after its predecessor.

If Nintendo continue this pattern with the following entry, we won't get it until 2021. 

Can Nintendo afford a 5 year cycle for home console Zelda games? Will the long breaks in between build anticipation and hype, or will people just get tired of waiting?

I didn't even realize you meant Zelda for the NX. I just thought you meant the 10th console Zelda which would surprisingly also work out :O (ignoring the four swords GC of course).

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Metroid33slayer said:

But huge difference is that next Zelda want be first HD and frist big true open world Zelda, also Nintendo with NX will not make multiplayer Zelda projects in same time like they done this gen.

I think they will, I'm certain there will be new 2d zelda games made after zelda wii u. We also expect skyward sword hd in the next 3 years and at some point in the future people will want a hd version of ocarina of time and majora's mask.

Don't worry, that won't happen ever again. Considering now NX is one solely ecosystem with the same OS, they will develop for that OS. I can see a new one released in 2018-2019 with all the experience they got in HD development and a new on in 2020-2021. Both will be big projects like the 3D Zeldas. Maybe in between those, one smaller project like ALBW.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

If we wanted to compare another large epic game, it should also be mentioned that Skyrim had a development cycle that lasted about 5 years.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Isn't this why there is no EAD teams anymore? And also why they might unify the platforms completely? Both should reduce time in projects.

Metroid33slayer said:
Miyamotoo said:

I think they will, I'm certain there will be new 2d zelda games made after zelda wii u. We also expect skyward sword hd in the next 3 years and at some point in the future people will want a hd version of ocarina of time and majora's mask.

Yes they will, probably one new 3D Zelda game, one 2D Zelda game, one port (SS HD) and maybe one spinoff, thats nothing in comparing what we had on 3DS and Wii U, on 3DS we had 2 remakes, 1 new game, 1 spinoff and 1 port of spinoff, on Wii U we had 2 HD ports, 1 spinoff and 1 new game. So on NX we could have 3-4 Zelda games while this gen we will have 9 Zelda games.