By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Captain Obvious: Zelda Wii U is a Wii U exclusive

Cobretti2 said:
Soundwave said:

Everyone's entitled to spend their hard earned money how they see fit. If 5-6 good/great games a year is not enough for a person like Curl to justify buying hardware for ... then a divorce with Nintendo was pretty much inevitable at some point.

They simply don't have the third party support to have that robust of a library and Nintendo themselves can only produce so many quality games at a time.

But lets be real ... it's been like this for Nintendo consoles since the SNES era ended ... that's been like 20 years now, so it's not like this is some surprising thing. The N64, GameCube, Wii, Wii U all had dry periods and poor developer support, that's four straight generations.

Nintendo consoles can provide a lot of fun if you like Nintendo IP, but they're definitely not for everyone, especially if you need a large variety of games and/or are unwilling to buy a Playstation/XBox/gaming PC to offset what's lacking on Nintendo consoles.

N64 and Gamecube did have dry spells but at least it wasn't just shovelware support.

It had enough 3rd party + first party games to still satisfy enough hardcore fans.

Wii and Wii U

is missing 3rd party + rare games from that era + retro made DK instead of something to push them. big gaps here.

Nintendo is in such poor condition noow that the hardcore Nintendo fan can't take it anymore lol.

Only problem that I see for Nintendo fans are all this small projects, ports and spin offs without any new big game, but I totally understand that if NX is launching next year because they clearly working on NX games.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
spemanig said:

Okay, I got it, but even then, what came out in June and July?

I don't know honestly, I wasn't following PS4/Xbox One very closely during that time. Surely there must have been something?

I'm not asking for a Zelda or a Metroid every month, I know that's totally unrealistic, just something like Fatal Frame, Yoshi's Woolly World, or Captain Toad would do.

Well, to be fair, if smaller games like Captain Toad count for you, we've had an okay-ish year.

Jan - Captain Toad

Feb - 

Mar - Mario Party 10, Mario vs DK

Apr - 

May - Kirby, Splatoon

June - Yoshi

July - 

Aug - Devil's Third

Sep - Super Mario Maker

Oct - Fatal Frame

Nov - Mario Tennis, amiibo Party (ugh..)

Dec - Xenoblade X

On average 1 game every month. I do agree though, they either need to fix their own software management and development schedule or get a lot more third party support. Just spend some of that money you've been sitting on all these years Nintendo...

Anyway, I'm not complaining, but I would like to see more games coming to Nintendo systems. I have a Wii U and PS4 this gen, so I'm fine, I got a pretty big backlog already. That's always an option as well; two consoles. There's nobody stopping you from enjoying more than 1 system.

Miyamotoo said:

Wii U is proof that revealing console year and half before launch doesn't work any more.

Entering mobile game market is proof that Nintendo is not stubborn like before and that they thinking different now, before they said that they never will enter mobile market but now they thiniking difrent. Amiibos are also proof of different thinking, also they announce more aggressive use of IP for lotsa stuff like toys, movies, cartoons, theme parks..

Again, my point that Nintendo is changing currently, but Nintendo cant change things like region locking, weak 3rd parties, focusing on casuals and weak hardware in middle of generation. Anyone can see that Nintendo is changing and taking huge and different steps, we already know that Nintendo is preparing new account system, they said they will probably stop with region locking, they working on better 3rd party support for NX, we still dont know about power of NX but I think I want be weaker than Xbox One/PS4, also Amiibo, mobile games, new account system, totally new unified platform that will share same games...are all huge changes and you relly need to be blind to not see all that.

Lol are you being serious? That's what you're talking about? Revealing the console early is the reason it's doing bad and not weak 3rd party support, reuse of old ips, and weak hardware? Lol... amazing.

As I said before them entering the mobile market was just for the share holders and the games they've going to release aren't the ones fans want. Nintendo has already said they aren't bringing previous games, only new ones and they aren't the ones developing them either. 

Amiibos, really? that is not proof of anything. my god you have been saying ridiclous things since the very beginning. You don't even explain why amiibos are "proof" of different thinking. Them being aggressive with their IPs is proof? My god... you seriously have no idea what you're talking about. Literally everything you've said is nothing but assumptions. I'm done here.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Octane said:
curl-6 said:

I don't know honestly, I wasn't following PS4/Xbox One very closely during that time. Surely there must have been something?

I'm not asking for a Zelda or a Metroid every month, I know that's totally unrealistic, just something like Fatal Frame, Yoshi's Woolly World, or Captain Toad would do.

Well, to be fair, if smaller games like Captain Toad count for you, we've had an okay-ish year.

Jan - Captain Toad

Feb - 

Apr - 

May - Kirby, Splatoon

June - Yoshi

July - 

Aug - Devil's Third

Sep - Super Mario Maker

Oct - Fatal Frame

Dec - Xenoblade X

On average 1 game every month. I do agree though, they either need to fix their own software management and development schedule or get a lot more third party support. Just spend some of that money you've been sitting on all these years Nintendo...

Anyway, I'm not complaining, but I would like to see more games coming to Nintendo systems. I have a Wii U and PS4 this gen, so I'm fine, I got a pretty big backlog already. That's always an option as well; two consoles. There's nobody stopping you from enjoying more than 1 system.

That's still 3 months of the year (Feb, April, July) with nothing.

Once you then start removing the ones that are shit, (Mario Party, Amiibo Festival, Devil's Third, Mario Tennis) what's left is like 6 worthwhile games in 12 months.

Soundwave said:

Everyone's entitled to spend their hard earned money how they see fit. If 5-6 good/great games a year is not enough for a person like Curl to justify buying hardware for ... then a divorce with Nintendo was pretty much inevitable at some point.

They simply don't have the third party support to have that robust of a library and Nintendo themselves can only produce so many quality games at a time.

But lets be real ... it's been like this for Nintendo consoles since the SNES era ended ... that's been like 20 years now, so it's not like this is some surprising thing. The N64, GameCube, Wii, Wii U all had dry periods and poor developer support, that's four straight generations.

Nintendo consoles can provide a lot of fun if you like Nintendo IP, but they're definitely not for everyone, especially if you need a large variety of games and/or are unwilling to buy a Playstation/XBox/gaming PC to offset what's lacking on Nintendo consoles.

See, I know this is how most people see it, but for me, Wii provided me with plenty of games before support suddenly evaporated in 2011.

In 2010 for example, I bought Maro Galaxy 2, Monster Hunter Tri, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Sin & Punishment 2, Goldeneye 007, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Red Steel 2, No More Heroes 2, Sonic Colours, Black Ops, Epic Mickey, Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing.

That's 13 games in one year, Wii U has never come close to that.

Hell, even Wii's dry 2011 isn't much worse than any of Wii U's years.

Around the Network
Ali_16x said:
Miyamotoo said:

Wii U is proof that revealing console year and half before launch doesn't work any more.

Entering mobile game market is proof that Nintendo is not stubborn like before and that they thinking different now, before they said that they never will enter mobile market but now they thiniking difrent. Amiibos are also proof of different thinking, also they announce more aggressive use of IP for lotsa stuff like toys, movies, cartoons, theme parks..

Again, my point that Nintendo is changing currently, but Nintendo cant change things like region locking, weak 3rd parties, focusing on casuals and weak hardware in middle of generation. Anyone can see that Nintendo is changing and taking huge and different steps, we already know that Nintendo is preparing new account system, they said they will probably stop with region locking, they working on better 3rd party support for NX, we still dont know about power of NX but I think I want be weaker than Xbox One/PS4, also Amiibo, mobile games, new account system, totally new unified platform that will share same games...are all huge changes and you relly need to be blind to not see all that.

Lol are you being serious? That's what you're talking about? Revealing the console early is the reason it's doing bad and not weak 3rd party support, reuse of old ips, and weak hardware? Lol... amazing.

As I said before them entering the mobile market was just for the share holders and the games they've going to release aren't the ones fans want. Nintendo has already said they aren't bringing previous games, only new ones and they aren't the ones developing them either. 

Amiibos, really? that is not proof of anything. my god you have been saying ridiclous things since the very beginning. You don't even explain why amiibos are "proof" of different thinking. Them being aggressive with their IPs is proof? My god... you seriously have no idea what you're talking about. Literally everything you've said is nothing but assumptions. I'm done here.

I already wrote you but for some reason you dont see what is written or twisting what I wrote. I didnt said that is only reason why Wii U failed, but definitely one of the many reasons.

Wii U is proof that doesnt work any more. Two last years Wii was completely dead because of Wii U launch and people in meantime migrated to other platforms, they didn't want to wait year and half for next Nintendo hardware. And that's a fact. 

Reuse of old IP-s is reason why Wii U is doing bad!? That is just ridiculous, those reused old IP-s are reason why people are buying Nintendo console and they are best selling games on every Nintendo console. And its not like Nintendo dont make at all new IP-s, W101, Xenoblade and Splatoon are new IP-s.

Share holders requested mobile games from Nintendo 5 years ago, why Nintendo is doing that only now!? I will tell you, because they are not stubborn like before and they are changing and taking new direction. And yes, Nintendo is developing those mobile games, they will be specifically developed for mobile devices.

Yes Amiibos, they are proof of Nintendo plan of using Nintendo IP-s far more aggressive and difrent direct Nintendo is taking.

And again, Nintendo is preparing new account system, they said they will probably stop with region locking, they working on better 3rd party support for NX, we still dont know about power of NX but I think I want be weaker than Xbox One/PS4, also Amiibo, mobile games, new account system, totally new unified platform that will share same games...are all huge changes and you relly need to be blind to not see all that.

All this things are well knows fact, but you can still denied them and calling them ridiculous things.

curl-6 said:
Octane said:

Jan - Captain Toad

Feb - 

Apr - 

May - Kirby, Splatoon

June - Yoshi

July - 

Aug - Devil's Third

Sep - Super Mario Maker

Oct - Fatal Frame

Dec - Xenoblade X

That's still 3 months of the year (Feb, April, July) with nothing.

Once you then start removing the ones that are shit, (Mario Party, Amiibo Festival, Devil's Third, Mario Tennis) what's left is like 6 worthwhile games in 12 months.

This is why a unified platform is so important for Nintendo, for example 2015 would look something like this.

February-Majora's Mask 3D, Monster Hunter 4, Kirby Rainbow Curse, Pokémon Shuffle, Flipnote Studio

March-Mario vs Donkey Kong, Mario Party 10, Codename STEAM, Fossil Fighters Frontier, Story of Seasons

April-Boxboy, Xenoblade 3D, Etrian Mystery Dungeon, Pokémon Rumble World, Amiibo Tap

May-Devil Survivor 2, Attack on Titan, Splatoon, Puzzles & Dragons, Stretchmo

June-Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure, Art Academy: Home Studio

August-Little Battlers Experience

September-Super Mario Maker, Happy Home Designer

October-Chibi Robo, Yoshi's Woolly World, Triforce Heroes, Legend of Legacy

November-Badge Arcade, Yokai Watch, Amiibo Festival, Mario Tennis, Super Mystery Dungeon

December-Xenoblade X, Devil's Third, Pokémon Picross

Then u have a bunch of quality indie titles mixed throughout like Affordable Space Adventures, Runbow, Xeodrifter, Fast Racing Neo, Typoman, Year Walk, etc.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

The only bold prediction in the OP is that the NX wont release till 2017. Its nailed on for holiday 2016.

Revealing a console 1+ year ahead of launch is an incredibly outdated way of debuting electronics, you're damn right it doesn't work anymore because we have something called the INTERNET today and information spreads rapidly to the consumer.

What do you think are going to happen to Wii U sales (which are already crap) when they show NX next year? They will go even freaking lower, no one is going to touch that thing with a 30 foot pole. I swear some people live in some alternative reality where common sense doesn't apply.

No one wants to wait 18-24 months to play a product you've shown anymore. It's not 1995 anymore, things change. Wake up and smell 2015. 

Soundwave said:

Revealing a console 1+ year ahead of launch is an incredibly outdated way of debuting electronics, you're damn right it doesn't work anymore because we have something called the INTERNET today and information spreads rapidly to the consumer.

What do you think are going to happen to Wii U sales (which are already crap) when they show NX next year? They will go even freaking lower, no one is going to touch that thing with a 30 foot pole. I swear some people live in some alternative reality where common sense doesn't apply.

No one wants to wait 18-24 months to play a product you've shown anymore. It's not 1995 anymore, things change. Wake up and smell 2015. 

Yep, and we must remember that they have been doing this lately with some games like Majora's Mask 3D, Amiibo Festival, Triforce Heroes, Mario Tennis, Twilight Princess HD, Captain Toad, 3D World, New Nintendo3DS, Nintendo 3DSXL. Announce and then release in a short period.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile