By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Captain Obvious: Zelda Wii U is a Wii U exclusive

Everyone's entitled to spend their hard earned money how they see fit. If 5-6 good/great games a year is not enough for a person like Curl to justify buying hardware for ... then a divorce with Nintendo was pretty much inevitable at some point.

They simply don't have the third party support to have that robust of a library and Nintendo themselves can only produce so many quality games at a time.

But lets be real ... it's been like this for Nintendo consoles since the SNES era ended ... that's been like 20 years now, so it's not like this is some surprising thing. The N64, GameCube, Wii, Wii U all had dry periods and poor developer support, that's four straight generations.

Nintendo consoles can provide a lot of fun if you like Nintendo IP, but they're definitely not for everyone, especially if you need a large variety of games and/or are unwilling to buy a Playstation/XBox/gaming PC to offset what's lacking on Nintendo consoles.

Around the Network

OP is love, OP is life

curl-6 said:

Those qualify. I'd even count the likes of Fatal Frame on Wii U. Just something that's not a bargain bin fluff.

Oh, I see. So then you'd count that Kirby game and the Yarn Yoshi too, for example?

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

Those qualify. I'd even count the likes of Fatal Frame on Wii U. Just something that's not a bargain bin fluff.

Oh, I see. So then you'd count that Kirby game and the Yarn Yoshi too, for example?

Yeah, the ones I meant to exclude was stuff like the LEGO games, Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Game and Wario, movie-of-the-month adaptions, etc.

Those don't cut the mustard.

curl-6 said:

Yeah, the ones I meant to exclude was stuff like the LEGO games, Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Game and Wario, movie-of-the-month adaptions, etc.

Okay, I got it, but even then, what came out in June and July?

Around the Network
spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

Okay, I got it, but even then, what came out in June and July?

I don't know honestly, I wasn't following PS4/Xbox One very closely during that time. Surely there must have been something?

I'm not asking for a Zelda or a Metroid every month, I know that's totally unrealistic, just something like Fatal Frame, Yoshi's Woolly World, or Captain Toad would do.

Soundwave said:

Everyone's entitled to spend their hard earned money how they see fit. If 5-6 good/great games a year is not enough for a person like Curl to justify buying hardware for ... then a divorce with Nintendo was pretty much inevitable at some point.

They simply don't have the third party support to have that robust of a library and Nintendo themselves can only produce so many quality games at a time.

But lets be real ... it's been like this for Nintendo consoles since the SNES era ended ... that's been like 20 years now, so it's not like this is some surprising thing. The N64, GameCube, Wii, Wii U all had dry periods and poor developer support, that's four straight generations.

Nintendo consoles can provide a lot of fun if you like Nintendo IP, but they're definitely not for everyone, especially if you need a large variety of games and/or are unwilling to buy a Playstation/XBox/gaming PC to offset what's lacking on Nintendo consoles.

N64 and Gamecube did have dry spells but at least it wasn't just shovelware support.

It had enough 3rd party + first party games to still satisfy enough hardcore fans.

Wii and Wii U

is missing 3rd party + rare games from that era + retro made DK instead of something to push them. big gaps here.

Nintendo is in such poor condition noow that the hardcore Nintendo fan can't take it anymore lol.

Wasn't Rayman legends supposed to be a wii u exclusive before it was delayed for porting to other consoles? It seems like Nintendo is doing something similar (delaying a game to make a port).

Now before people start saying "Ubisoft is very different from Nintendo," stop to consider how similar of a situation they are in (I.e. They notice they were working with a sinking ship and decide to make a port for a console that has a better chance).

Given that the Wii u is a failure and the NX will probably come out next year, it makes sense to have a simultaneous launch like twilight princess

Ali_16x said:
Miyamotoo said:

Wii U is proof that doesnt work any more. Two last years Wii  was completely dead because of Wii U launch and people in meantime migrated to other platforms, they didn't want to wait year and half for next Nintendo hardware. And that's a fact. Region locking, weak 3rd parties, focusing on casuals and weak hardware doesn't have anything with time frame of revealing and launching console.

Also region locking, weak 3rd parties, focusing on casuals and weak hardware cannot be fixed with current hardware, only with new one and new platform, we already know that Nintendo is preparing new account system, they said they will probably stop with region locking, they working on better 3rd party support for NX, we still dont know about power of NX but I think I want be weaker than Xbox One/PS4. If you don't see in how many changes Nintendo is making this gen you will certainly see them next year. Amiibo, mobile games, new account system, totally new unified platform that will share same games...are all huge changes.

How is the Wii U proof? Proof of what? The only reason they went into the mobile market was because they had to do something to please shareholders. And the games they're brining aren't the games people are asking for.

Amiibos? What in the world does that have to do with anything? What do figurines have to do with gaming other than it being merchandise? Did fans ask for amiibos? I'm pretty sure they didn't.

You're right region locking, weak 3rd parties, focusing on casuals and weak hardware doesn't have anything with time frame of revealing and launching console, it has to do with how they haven't changed at all. Their last 4 home consoles have all of these in common. And 3/4 of their latest consoles have failed, how isn't that proof that they haven't changed and whatever they're doing isn't working.

Wii U is proof that revealing console year and half before launch doesn't work any more.

Entering mobile game market is proof that Nintendo is not stubborn like before and that they thinking different now, before they said that they never will enter mobile market but now they thiniking difrent. Amiibos are also proof of different thinking, also they announce more aggressive use of IP for lotsa stuff like toys, movies, cartoons, theme parks..

Again, my point that Nintendo is changing currently, but Nintendo cant change things like region locking, weak 3rd parties, focusing on casuals and weak hardware in middle of generation. Anyone can see that Nintendo is changing and taking huge and different steps, we already know that Nintendo is preparing new account system, they said they will probably stop with region locking, they working on better 3rd party support for NX, we still dont know about power of NX but I think I want be weaker than Xbox One/PS4, also Amiibo, mobile games, new account system, totally new unified platform that will share same games...are all huge changes and you relly need to be blind to not see all that.

spemanig said:
Cobretti2 said:

How are they not giving you what you want? You still get the game on Wii U but yet you are too selfish to let it go multiplatform at launch lol?

The  Wii U console is a commercial failure, there is no point injecting it with pills anymore. No super pill will save it. Mario Kart or Smash Bros couldn't save it.

If Zelda U was to stay an exclusive it wouldn't reach it's sales potential and who knows how much money they pumped into this being their first HD zelda game with an ambition to make it a big world?

It only makes commercial sense for them to release it at NX launch to give that system a "fighting" chance of suceeding. If NX launches with no big games it will be dead on arrival. NX will need a line up 5x stronger than Wii U had at launch to make it fly of the shelves. You think they will not use one of their strongest franchises to make that happen?

While I agree with you whole heartedly, the Wii U had a great launch. It's what came immediately after that was abysmal.

No, Wii U had good launch not great, even with terrible launch titles. Thats only profus that Wii U on launch buyed only Nintendo fans after that Wii U plumed and didnt recover at all.