By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Yo-kai Watch Anime English version: say goodbye to bikinis and half naked men

So very lame. Nintendo does this as often as possible. Always has. They eventually capitulated and allowed red pixels in Mortal Kombat 2, and had some games with adult themes on the N64, but their forte has been to not only censor, but do so to the point of insanity when compared to every other console manufacturer. That recent story about how Miyamoto wanted James Bond to apologize to, have a lovely tea party with, all the enemies he "put in the hospital" at the end of Goldeneye made me slightly nauseous.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

This isn't the first time an anime has been censored or changed. Anyone remember blue Mr. Popo?

outlawauron said:
Cloudman said:

Considering this anime is meant for kids, they would need to change things like that...

Although, back in the 90s, this might have gone unchanged. There were many adult things present in cartoons that just flew over our heads. Those were crazy times.

Also, need to say this again.

This is. A show. For KIDS. What do you expect?!

This is also a show for kids in Japan. Don't act like Youkai Watch is marketed towards anyone else.

Swimsuits aren't taboo on American made kids shows, so it's kinda odd. Swapping the muscle men for the cook is weirder for me.

I don't act like Yokai Watch is targeted to anyone else, just kids. That is what the audience largely consists of. And I said before, things are different in Japanese culture, as the body is views as something differently. I mean, people bath together in the nude publically. So I don't expect this to be an issue there. As for here, it's not so much the same.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Terrible decisions, once again.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

LivingMetal said:
Cloudman said:
LivingMetal said:
Cloudman said:

Considering this anime is meant for kids, they would need to change things like that...

Although, back in the 90s, this might have gone unchanged. There were many adult things present in cartoons that just flew over our heads. Those were crazy times.

And what was the target audience in Japan?

Japan is more lenient with this sort of thing though, culturally.

But you did say this is a show "For KIDS."   Regardless of culture, kids are kids everywhere.  Using "kids" and "culture" are two different reasons.  So if it's a cultural reason, then say that instead.  That MIGHT validate your argument more.  But then again, what a certain culture dictates doesn't neccessarily means it's correct. 

But culture is my reason for my argument. Cultural differences are my reason why I don't see this as okay in the US, but okay in Japan.

And I don't say it's correct. There is no correct answer. It really just drives on general cultural  differences.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
Faelco said:
Cloudman said:

We're not talking about sex here, but swimsuits. I hope US kids never go to the pool or the beach, it could be bad for them. 

Never had any problem with swimsuits in animes like Pokemon here, I don't understand why this was censored. 

Well, it could get boys aroused and girls thinking they need to be that way to arouse the boys, at such a young age too. Even the clip shows that. So it would indirectly imply leading to thoughts like that...

Well, there was that episode that was cut entirely, which besides giving James cleavage, also displayed a lot of girls in swim suits as well as a beauty contest revolving around girls and swimsuits. So there is that.

Dance my pretties!

Pavolink said:

who are once again making these terrible decisions?

Dravenet7 said:
Pavolink said:

Dunno, censor guys I think? Because this is the anime, not the game.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

It's kind of funny, despite knowing it's a show for kids, but those same kids will likely see much worse whenever they go out into the real world.

Pavolink said:
Dravenet7 said:
Pavolink said:

Dunno, censor guys I think? Because this is the anime, not the game.

You don't know who it is that's censoring this but yet its a terrible decision based on what context?